Artist of the Day - Seattle, WA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Artist of the Day - Seattle, WA

Instead of a specific band, I thought we would try a locale instead. Following BDC lead with favorite band from Boston, I chose Seattle as it has popped up in big in the history of RnR.

Just to name a few:

60's - Hendrix
    70's - Heart
    80's - Queensryche
    90's - Grunge (The big 4)

Why do you think Seattle has been a center for some serious musical chops? 

As for the bands that I mentioned:

Hendrix - nothing left to be said
    Heart - they gave us the Wilson sisters, not too shabby
    Queensryche - Musically, I think they were the best band to come out of the 80's
    Grunge - Alice in Chains is my favorite, followed by Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - Seattle, WA

Soundgarden is my favorite grunge band, but to be honest I have no idea what grunge even means, musically speaking.  Soundgarden just sounds like a very heavy rock band to me.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Soundgarden and Pearl Jam..never really been a big Nirvana fan...I like 'em, but I like the other two better. 

I had forgotten Hendrix was from Seattle....I knew, but I forgot!

Oh..and Jessey - thanks for signing my guestbook!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I would add to that list: Mudhoney, Green River, Mother Love Bone, Foo Fighters, Modest Mouse, Screaming Trees, The Posies, Sunny Day Real Estate...
    and, more recently: Death Cab For Cutie, Band Of Horses, Fleet Foxes...

I also agree that "grunge" is fairly useless as a descriptor; like "hippie", it's pretty much lost all meaning.  They were (are) hard rock bands - as influenced by Led Zeppelin and The Who as they were by Black Sabbath and AC/DC.  That era of the early 90s was interesting, too, because it was when the post-60's babies were coming of age and had little interest in 80's-style materialism...a mass desire of substance over style, maybe...??

I wasn't there, but I'll bet that those who were might say that the whole scene was kind of over-hyped and a little embarrassing (like haight-ashbury, c. 1967...?).  But at least they gave us some great, timeless music (and decent coffee)...!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Another band from the Seattle area:

Sir Mix-a-lot (Baby got back)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think Seattle is running behind the "home of Rock 'n' Roll" ( According to Bob Seger)-Detroit, Mich.

(Which will lead to another thread in the "forgotten LP's series).

Isn't Stone Temple Pilots from the great northwest also?

The band that few remember and fewer know about is TKO ( I have mentioned them before). Look them up on google. The 1st album 'Let it Roll' (1979) is part punk, part metal, part glam rock, and very, very good.

The singer Bad Brad Sinsel sounds as if he would make other "bad" frontmen look tame, except maybe Johnny Rotten, Iggy or Dead Boy, Stiv Bator.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Agree with everyone, but I was wondering as to why you think a city like Seattle would be such a hotbed for music.

For instance, Liverpool was a port city and a lot of record imports used to flow thorugh its way. Hence the influence of early American RnR on the Beatles.

So I was wondering as to why you all think Seattle is on the map like it is?

Hey Zilla - check out the stuttering thread. I remembered one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Seattle, WA:
    [QUOTE]Soundgarden is my favorite grunge band, but to be honest I have no idea what grunge even means, musically speaking.  Soundgarden just sounds like a very heavy rock band to me.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I think the term came from the look the musicians took on stage with them. Flannel's and shorts instead of leather and spandex.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Soundgarden and Pearl Jam..never really been a big Nirvana fan...I like 'em, but I like the other two better.  I had forgotten Hendrix was from Seattle....I knew, but I forgot! Oh..and Jessey - thanks for signing my guestbook!  
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

I love it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Black is a cool song by Pearl Jam .... they were the best. I liked Nirvana's Nevermind album a lot .... As to why Seattle is such a music hotbed? It's the coffee. People drink a lot of it over there. Think Starbucks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If your baseball team was the Mariners, your football team was the Seahawks and you had basketball and no hockey...

...you would probably turn to playing rock'n'roll as you would have lots of time on your hands. These poor souls who follow sports must have to look up the word "Postseason" in the dictionary to understand the meaning.

Also , I've heard it rains alot and , as a kid, if you had to stay inside all summer, maybe you'd learn to play an instrument or something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If you like Soundgarden,as I do,this is a must check out article.Just wanted to add this link:

http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2010/08/08/world-premiere-stream-soundgardens-black-rain-here/

It's a link to the NEW SOUNDGARDEN song 'BLACK RAIN" from their LP "Telephantasm” that's coming out September 28th.Yes,it kicks asz!!
    There's also a video from the 2010 LOLLAPALOOZA tour with them doing "Fell on black days"on stage a couple of days ago.
     Well worth listening to.Enjoy and you're welcome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I would add to that list: Mudhoney, Green River, Mother Love Bone, Foo Fighters, Modest Mouse, Screaming Trees, The Posies, Sunny Day Real Estate... and, more recently: Death Cab For Cutie, Band Of Horses, Fleet Foxes... I also agree that "grunge" is fairly useless as a descriptor; like "hippie", it's pretty much lost all meaning.  They were (are) hard rock bands - as influenced by Led Zeppelin and The Who as they were by Black Sabbath and AC/DC.  That era of the early 90s was interesting, too, because it was when the post-60's babies were coming of age and had little interest in 80's-style materialism...a mass desire of substance over style, maybe...?? I wasn't there, but I'll bet that those who were might say that the whole scene was kind of over-hyped and a little embarrassing (like haight-ashbury, c. 1967...?).  But at least they gave us some great, timeless music (and decent coffee)...!!
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Recently discovered Band of Horses. Very nice sound. I know nothing about them, except that they're from Seattle, but I plan to investigate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I think Seattle is running behind the "home of Rock 'n' Roll" ( According to Bob Seger)-Detroit, Mich. (Which will lead to another thread in the "forgotten LP's series). Isn't Stone Temple Pilots from the great northwest also? The band that few remember and fewer know about is TKO ( I have mentioned them before). Look them up on google. The 1st album 'Let it Roll' (1979) is part punk, part metal, part glam rock, and very, very good. The singer Bad Brad Sinsel sounds as if he would make other "bad" frontmen look tame, except maybe Johnny Rotten, Iggy or Dead Boy, Stiv Bator.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Detroit, MI.

Let's see - MC 5, The Stooges, The Alice Cooper Band.

Yeah - that city works for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Not to mention Mitch Ryder, Rare Earth, Grand Funk Railroad, Ted Nugent, Parliament...

and later: Madonna, Kid Rock, Eminem, and The White Stripes.

I, too, have special affection for the Motor City...I even married a girl from there who managed a record store there for years (and who reminds me that there is no such place as "South Detroit", in spite of what Journey says....)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Detroit was also home to Glenn Frey , Bob Seger, The Rockets , and of course, Motown. To name a few more.

Can't help but think we are missing some.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Adding Alice Cooper and Suzi Quatro to the list of Detroit bands