Artist of the Day - The Rolling Stones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Artist of the Day - The Rolling Stones

Surprisingly, we have not had much discussion about The Stones. And they are living legends. Possibly it is because we were all probably still in our teens when there best work was finished. But they still put out some strong LP's back in the 80's.

As for the 60's - ooofa. This band knew were they were doing. They put sex back into the music.  Jagger and Richards certainly penned some amazing tunes and Wyman and Watts were as strong as a rythem section as you could find in popular music. And they were successful no matter who had 2nd guitar, Jones, Taylor or Woods. But I just believe that if Jones hadn't gone over the deep edge, the band would have been even better. And that is saying a lot.

They were unfairly compared to the Beatles. They basically played a different music than the Beatles. The Stones were always about R & B and the Blues. And Mick, as much as I disliked him charmed the bras off more teenage girls while on stage than anyone before or since. Kudos for that. And what can be said about Keith. The man is a living legend. How he is still alive is amazing. By the time I hit my teens, he was my idol. And having had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with him, I can tell you, the man didn't disappoint. He is as cool and charming in real life as he is in interviews. I literally was stumbling on my own words and he just grabbed my arm, told me to relax and handed me a cold beer. I then spent the next hour having a great conversation with him. Oddly, the Stones were the only big band that I never saw in concert. My dislike for Jagger was that strong.

Anyway - what say you all about The Stones.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - The Rolling Stones

I love the Stones music.  They could do the wild stuff or British hillbilly rock blues or even some slow stuff.  They sing and play about real situations in life, "right out in the open."  Mick Jaeger's vocal style is perfect for Kieth Richard's guitar style and the rest of the band provides great rythm and melody.  Honestly, I don't know who wrote the lyrics and melody, on all the various songs, but it is fabulous material.  I like so many of their songs it would be too long of a list.  Still, Beatles and Presley are no. 1A and no.1B, but Stones are way up high on the list. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Artist of the Day - The Rolling Stones:
    [QUOTE]Surprisingly, we have not had much discussion about The Stones. And they are living legends. Possibly it is because we were all probably still in our teens when there best work was finished. But they still put out some strong LP's back in the 80's. As for the 60's - ooofa. This band knew were they were doing. They put sex back into the music.  Jagger and Richards certainly penned some amazing tunes and Wyman and Watts were as strong as a rythem section as you could find in popular music. And they were successful no matter who had 2nd guitar, Jones, Taylor or Woods. But I just believe that if Jones hadn't gone over the deep edge, the band would have been even better. And that is saying a lot. They were unfairly compared to the Beatles. They basically played a different music than the Beatles. The Stones were always about R & B and the Blues. And Mick, as much as I disliked him charmed the bras off more teenage girls while on stage than anyone before or since. Kudos for that. And what can be said about Keith. The man is a living legend. How he is still alive is amazing. By the time I hit my teens, he was my idol. And having had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with him, I can tell you, the man didn't disappoint. He is as cool and charming in real life as he is in interviews. I literally was stumbling on my own words and he just grabbed my arm, told me to relax and handed me a cold beer. I then spent the next hour having a great conversation with him. Oddly, the Stones were the only big band that I never saw in concert. My dislike for Jagger was that strong. Anyway - what say you all about The Stones.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]       Jessie, WOW! You got to hang out with Kieth Richards.  Very good.  I posted a little late last night and wanted to get to bed, so I didn't read yours until this morning.  I've had some conversations with national musicians so I know how cool it is.  I admit I get a little star struck.  Some people don't at all.  Being a great musician, which I am not, takes at least some talent and a lot of good planning and hard work.  Also, listening to good advice from good musicians.  I respect all of that.  Would you know approx. what % of the Stones music was written by people inside the band?   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well they're certainly one of the monoliths of rock.  But they're not one of my favorites.  To me, the power of their music rates well below the Beatles, The Who, or Zeppelin.

Now that I've trashed them to my satisfaction, I will say that I absolutely love a lot of their songs, particularly from the mid-Sixties, stuff like Mother's Little Helper, Paint it Black, Ruby Tuesday, She's A Rainbow, Gimme Shelter, Jumpin' Jack Flash.  Also liked Goats Head Soup and Some Girls albums a lot.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Along with the Animals , the Stones put the influence of the roots of Rock back into the music. By paying homage to the influence that the African slaves had on the formation of rock'n'roll and R&B music. Eric Burden actually sounds "black" on most of the old Animals songs( I know the politically  correct term is 'African American", but I use the term "black" with the utmost respect for Aretha Franklin,Muddy Waters,B.B. King, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, the Temptations and all the Motown artists who the Rolling Stones and Eric Burden obviously adored).

It is through the Rolling Stones and the Animals that my love for the Temptations,Sly Stone and the whole Motown sound came to be.  

Rock'n'Roll music could never have been born without the suffering of the black man in the southern part of this country. A sad footnote on the history of Rock'n'Roll is that it is born out of the suffering in the heat of Mississippi , in cotton fields. Rock is a direct descendant of the Blues and the Stones put "Black" back in rock music after corporate America tried to "cleanse" it with artists like Paul Anka, Bobby Darin and Neil Sedaka. The "white bread'  sound of the early sixties was an attempt to mask the influence of blacks on rock music.

It took the British to return the sound of rock to it's roots and they "resold" our own music back to us in the form of British Invasion music.

The Stones were at the forefront of this sound that returned American music back to it's roots in Blues, Soul and a little Jazz ( one of my favorites: Can't You Hear me Knockin') thrown in.

Great stuff!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

To me, the Stones and the Beatles are the Coke and Pepsi of RnR .... well known all over the world. There's not much to say about this band that isn't known.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - The Rolling Stones:
    [QUOTE]To me, the Stones and the Beatles are the Coke and Pepsi of RnR .... well known all over the world. I didn't start listening to the Stones until the early 80's. But when I did, I bought all of their albums just to catch up. There's not much to say about this band that isn't known. Angie and Gimme Shelter  remain my 2 favorite rock songs of all time.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

Gimme Shelter is definitely my favorite Stones song along with Ruby Tuesday and of course my sign off here on BDC.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Well they're certainly one of the monoliths of rock.  But they're not one of my favorites.  To me, the power of their music rates well below the Beatles, The Who, or Zeppelin. Now that I've trashed them to my satisfaction, I will say that I absolutely love a lot of their songs, particularly from the mid-Sixties, stuff like Mother's Little Helper, Paint it Black, Ruby Tuesday, She's A Rainbow, Gimme Shelter, Jumpin' Jack Flash.  Also liked Goats Head Soup and Some Girls albums a lot.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Wow, if I didn't know better, I would have though I posted this. It's nearly what I would have written word for word. At least couple more songs to the list you had would be As Tears Go By, Dandelion, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, STanding in the Corner and The Last Time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Along with the Animals , the Stones put the influence of the roots of Rock back into the music. By paying homage to the influence that the African slaves had on the formation of rock'n'roll and R&B music. Eric Burden actually sounds "black" on most of the old Animals songs( I know the politically  correct term is 'African American", but I use the term "black" with the utmost respect for Aretha Franklin,Muddy Waters,B.B. King, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, the Temptations and all the Motown artists who the Rolling Stones and Eric Burden obviously adored). It is through the Rolling Stones and the Animals that my love for the Temptations,Sly Stone and the whole Motown sound came to be.   Rock'n'Roll music could never have been born without the suffering of the black man in the southern part of this country. A sad footnote on the history of Rock'n'Roll is that it is born out of the suffering in the heat of Mississippi , in cotton fields. Rock is a direct descendant of the Blues and the Stones put "Black" back in rock music after corporate America tried to "cleanse" it with artists like Paul Anka, Bobby Darin and Neil Sedaka. The "white bread'  sound of the early sixties was an attempt to mask the influence of blacks on rock music. It took the British to return the sound of rock to it's roots and they "resold" our own music back to us in the form of British Invasion music. The Stones were at the forefront of this sound that returned American music back to it's roots in Blues, Soul and a little Jazz ( one of my favorites: Can't You Hear me Knockin') thrown in. Great stuff!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]       
    ZILLAGOD, you really have a lot of Stones.  Pun intended.  I agree with a significant part of what you said.  ..........  Back in the day, good people and sleazeballs ran the music industry. Both black and white got ripped off, but a lot of what went on was about the green.  You know, the type that will buy a mansion and a Rolls Royce. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

One of my all-time faves and two of the best live shows I've ever seen.  I still remember my brother and I staying up all night on the street to get tickets for the Steel Wheels tour in '89.  Brilliant from start to finish with all the energy, majesty and power only rock and roll and "The World's Greates Rock N' Roll Band" could deliver.

Most has been said here already, so I won't put too fine a point on it, except to say that The Rolling Stones pretty much defines "Rock N' Roll" for me; they are the gold standard to which all others are compared.

Some of my favorite tracks (too many to list):  Rip This Joint, Sister Morphine, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Let It Bleed, She's A Rainbow, All Down The Line, Just Wanna See His Face, Miss You, Waiting On A Friend, The Last Time, Get Off My Cloud, Mother's Little Helper, Paint It Black, etc., etc.

And the album masterpiece quadrilla: Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St. (the latter one of my all-time desert island discs).  It don't get much better than that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The Stones ... wow, where to begin?

First of all, they had an unbelievable four-album streak from 1968-72: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. I mean, just great, great stuff. Still listen to Banquet quite often as it remains my favorite. ("Jigsaw Puzzle" has to be their most underrated song). Terrific writing, great music. Keith at his best. Mick at his best.

Then a gradual decline. "Goat's Head Soup" was pretty good (like it better now than then), but I never liked "It's Only Rock and Roll." Then "Black and Blue," "Some Girls" and "Emotional Rescue," all of which I hated. A brief improvement with "Tattoo You" but then back down again.

Kind of a long-winded way of saying I believe they were fantastic once but quickly went down hill. When they were good, they were incredible. When they were bad, they were really bad. Sort of the "All in the Family" of rock and roll.

Jess, when you met Keith, could you understand a word he said?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]The Stones ... wow, where to begin? First of all, they had an unbelievable four-album streak from 1968-72: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. I mean, just great, great stuff. Still listen to Banquet quite often as it remains my favorite. ("Jigsaw Puzzle" has to be their most underrated song). Terrific writing, great music. Keith at his best. Mick at his best. Then a gradual decline. "Goat's Head Soup" was pretty good (like it better now than then), but I never liked "It's Only Rock and Roll." Then "Black and Blue," "Some Girls" and "Emotional Rescue," all of which I hated. A brief improvement with "Tattoo You" but then back down again. Kind of a long-winded way of saying I believe they were fantastic once but quickly went down hill. When they were good, they were incredible. When they were bad, they were really bad. Sort of the "All in the Family" of rock and roll. Jess, when you met Keith, could you understand a word he said?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Once you get past the Brit accent, absolutely. My first wife was English, so I was kind of used to it. In fact, she was my introduction to Robert Cray. And it was at his shows where I got to meet Keith and a few other notables.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - The Rolling Stones : Once you get past the Brit accent, absolutely. My first wife was English, so I was kind of used to it. In fact, she was my introduction to Robert Cray. And it was at his shows where I got to meet Keith and a few other notables.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

It wasn't so much the accent but that he appears to mumble, at least in interviews. Either way, meeting him must have been so cool. A giant, to be sure.

You ever see the SNL skit from when Mick was a guest? He did Keith, and Mike Myers did Mick and they did a "Point/Counterpoint" debate. Classic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Put me down as a fan of the Stones, especially their early R&B and blues influenced stuff. If you want to hear where Jagger copped his early vocal style from, give a listen to "Mercy, Mercy" by Don Covay recorded in 1964. The similarity is remarkable. Incidentally, Jimi Hendrix played guitar on this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5xhmOmXm9E

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

This is my theory about where Mick Jaeger learned his singing style.  When he was 3 yrs. old, he would be sitting in a high chair in the kitchen.  The floor was messed up with food.  The high chair tray had food spilled on it.  His face had food smeared all over it.  He would be yelling and screaming his brains out for 2 hrs.  Finally, someone would stop themselves from watching the TV, get up off the couch and go clean him up.  Mick Jaeger started singing at a young age. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

[QUOTE]Along with the Animals , the Stones put the influence of the roots of Rock back into the music. By paying homage to the influence that the African slaves had on the formation of rock'n'roll and R&B music. Eric Burden actually sounds "black" on most of the old Animals songs( I know the politically  correct term is 'African American", but I use the term "black" with the utmost respect for Aretha Franklin,Muddy Waters,B.B. King, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, the Temptations and all the Motown artists who the Rolling Stones and Eric Burden obviously adored). It is through the Rolling Stones and the Animals that my love for the Temptations,Sly Stone and the whole Motown sound came to be.   Rock'n'Roll music could never have been born without the suffering of the black man in the southern part of this country. A sad footnote on the history of Rock'n'Roll is that it is born out of the suffering in the heat of Mississippi , in cotton fields. Rock is a direct descendant of the Blues and the Stones put "Black" back in rock music after corporate America tried to "cleanse" it with artists like Paul Anka, Bobby Darin and Neil Sedaka. The "white bread'  sound of the early sixties was an attempt to mask the influence of blacks on rock music. It took the British to return the sound of rock to it's roots and they "resold" our own music back to us in the form of British Invasion music. The Stones were at the forefront of this sound that returned American music back to it's roots in Blues, Soul and a little Jazz ( one of my favorites: Can't You Hear me Knockin') thrown in. Great stuff!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

The Animals deserve their own thread.  They were very influential in their time. 

Black people from outside the US are not African/American, although I have heard the term used for, among others, Nelson Mandela.  Seriously.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

My favorite Stones albums are the Mick Taylor albums.  But my favorite Stones song is "Hand of Fate" from Black and Blue.  I felt the last good album the Stones made was Some Girls, never really making an album that was strong top to bottom since then.  Tattoo You was actually made from Some Girls outtakes.

Sections
Shortcuts