Artist of the Day- The Smiths

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Artist of the Day- The Smiths

I hate to think some of the younger posters perceive this board as a place for 40's, 50's and maybe 60 year old people to reminisce on the old days.

I have been accused by posters as being"stuck in the seventies." I assure you this is not true.

To prove this, I offer you a bigtime favorite of mine "The Smiths" as our artist for discussion.

"Greatest alternative band of all time?" ...possibly. Morrissey is a top notch front man and even his solo work is very enjoyable. Johnny Marr is an excellant guitar player without being flamboyant. Their songs are often sad and not very long. The first album is no doubt a classic. I think their name describes the band really, they don't stand out they sort of blend in with the whole alternative scene, they seem kind of bland and unexciting at first...until you start listening to them for hours and hours and you find how infectious they are , you just want to listen to them over and over.

If you haven't given them much of a chance, they deserve it. The song 'Meat is Murder' almost convinces you to become a vegetarian on the first listen."There is a Light that Never Goes Out",'Bigmouth Strikes Again" , "Hand in Glove" and "How Soon is Now?" are just incredible songs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Artist of the Day- The Smiths

The Smiths were just amazing and Timeless. Listened to "Meat,"  a few weeks ago with some folks at work, and everyone commented on how fresh that album sounds even today. Some of the folks listening were not even born when it came out, and were blown away that it is almost two decades old.. I guess to me that says it all.

Marr is one of the most innovative, and truly underrated guitar players, and I think he deserves more recognition for his work. They have so many wonderful songs, but to me "Headmaster's Ritual,"  really stands out. Morrissey, truly a great front man, his voice was an instrument in itself.

Extremely influential alternative band, right up there with the Clash, and often mentioned by musicians today, as being one of their major influences. I was lucky enough to have seen the Smiths in 1985, and Marr Solo, in 2002.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

No kidding that a lot of this band's music is gloomy. I prefer Pink Floyd's gloomy music much more.

"How Soon Is Now" is an interesting song though, and very mesmerizing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I was late to the Smiths party...not really connecting with them in the 80s...then turned on to them in the early 90s by a musically astute girlfriend, and I've been a more-than-casual admirer ever since.  They were one of those pop bands which were 'alternative' before it had any meaning.

Ditto on the praise deserving to Johnny Marr and Morrissey.  It's not often we describe British bands - much less indie bands - as being soulful, but The Smiths had emotion and dramatic flair with a distinctly wry sense of humor.

On top of it all, The Smiths had great songs, quality albums and the musical chops to back up their idiosyncracies.  The Smiths and The Queen Is Dead are nearly flawless, and Meat Is Murder is not far behind - a great combination of angst and affection.  Like one of my other favorite Brit pop bands of the era, The The (also feat. Johnny Marr), they charted their own course to relevancy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Thanks Matty, for mentioning The The. Another band from this era that has been overlooked. Seems many bands from the so-called "Alternative" era have remained rather cultish ( is that a real word?) to most of the music world. Maybe that's the downside to being an"alternative" band?

I would like to go slightly off topic here and mention a few other great bands from this era and maybe a little later (90's) that have been relegated to "cult" status...as far as I know.

Cracker
    Midnight Oil
    Hoodoo Gurus
    X
    Pixies
    XTC
    Siouxsie and the Banshees

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day- The Smiths:
    Thanks Matty, for mentioning The The. Another band from this era that has been overlooked. Seems many bands from the so-called "Alternative" era have remained rather cultish ( is that a real word?) to most of the music world. Maybe that's the downside to being an"alternative" band?   I would like to go slightly off topic here and mention a few other great bands from this era and maybe a little later (90's) that have been relegated to "cult" status...as far as I know. Cracker Midnight Oil Hoodoo Gurus X Pixies XTC Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Good show.  So many bands that I call the overachievers - they produced great music without much in the way of recognition or album sales.  Some more:

Husker Du
    The Replacements
    Wire
    The Jam / Style Council
    Modern Lovers
    The Jesus And Mary Chain
    Guster
    moe.
    Widespread Panic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day- The Smiths : Good show.  So many bands that I call the overachievers - they produced great music without much in the way of recognition or album sales.  Some more: Husker Du The Replacements Wire The Jam / Style Council Modern Lovers The Jesus And Mary Chain Guster moe. Widespread Panic
    Posted by Mattyhorn

I remember someone once said the Jesus and Mary Chain' earlier stuff sounded like a "chainsaw in a hurricane"...always thought that was quite accurate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Saints preserve us from "Emo."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Was away for a few days.

The Smiths - wow! Morrissey - amazing. Johnny Marr - sensational. How Soon Is Now - one of the greatest songs  - ever!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day- The Smiths : I remember someone once said the Jesus and Mary Chain' earlier stuff sounded like a "chainsaw in a hurricane"...always thought that was quite accurate.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

LOVE The Jesus And Mary Chain.  They're in that beloved category I call "Glorious Noise".  "Psychocandy" was a revelation to me, out-rocking Echo and Love + Rockets and nearly matching the Pixies note-for-note on the feedback-drenched express.  They were unabashed bashers who knew that in rock and roll, it's not so important that you get it right...just that you get "IT".

Sections
Shortcuts