What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - The Who

I964- Moon's death.

What can you say?

That says it all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Who died in 1964? Not Keith Moon. He died in 1978. Obviously there's a riddle involved here.

I'll give my best shot and say that after Moon joined The Who in 1964 while he was still a teenager, he became Teenage Wasted. Yeah I know stupid, but.....

People I knew of who owned The Who albums, owned a lot Queen albums also. The two seem to go together. 

The Who most definitely are one of the greatest bands of all time. Even their songs you hear on the radio all the time, don't get tiresome to listen to (within reason of course).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

1964 - Moon Died was reference to the time period I was speaking of. The Kenny Jones Who doesn't count.

As for the Who. They broke in the mid stages of the British Invasion, about 15 months after the Beatles "Please, Please Me" with Can't Explain.

The Who did not have the pop sensibility of the Beatles, the pure R & B of the Stones or the British wit of the Kinks. What they had was teenage angst and volume. And it is here where they took hold of a generation; 'My Generation'. I listed this song as one of my choices of great RnR song of all time.

Some call them the Godfathers of Punk. Some say that they were the kings of Hard Rock. I call them the greatest RnR Band because that is what they were. A true straight forward RnR band. Even their foray in Opera was RnR, hence the term Rock and Roll opera.

All these years later, they remain a major influence. Their songs are widely known by the younger generations because of their appearance on the CSI TV shows.

Major releases: Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia - each album was a major breakthrough in music.

Townsend - Right there with Lennon as far as songwriting genius.
    Enthwistle - Not a bass player. He was a bass guitarist
    Moon - The Hendrix of drums
    Daltrey - One of the three greatest lead singers of all time.

My whole teen experience can be replayed in their music. And I would bet, most of yours as well. That is pretty d*mn powerful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What bugs me is how so many people thought the Superbowl halftime show was so horrible. Anytime we get a chance to see a legendary rock band play it can't be bad.

How do you recreate this in 12 minutes and over 20 years later? You don't.

If by some miracle there were people watching the Who for the first time during that halftime appearance they probably wonder what all the fuss was about. Really, I was not expecting vintage Who and I thought they did just fine.

The Who are in the same class with the Beatles ,the Stones and the Kinks. They all had their own style and all had great songs , the music of these four groups transcends time and "We Won't Get Fooled Again" has the same message now as then. They covered some classics like 'Summertime Blues' and 'Shakin' All Over' and they were just perfect songs for this group.

This was Punk before it as called Punk. Years and years before the Sex Pistols and the Clash these guys had the punk attitude in their music.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Z, I heard more good reviews about The Who's Super Bowl gig than bad. In fact, most of the negative reviews weren't on their performance; rather it was simply the idea of using another Classic Rock band instead of someone current.

OK, now my thoughts of The Who.

They're a band who really made themselves known early by concerts and singles, rather than albums. Their first three albums were OK and helped them get know. However, they had some great songs early -- I Can't Explain, Substitute, Anyway Any How Any Where, Happy Jack and Pictures of Lily for example -- that were never on a studio album until they were included on a a Greatest Hits album.

However, for a band that was more of a singles/live band early, they had a three-album run of Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrephenia that few bands can match. It's funny too because that just happened to be the order in which I heard them as I was learning more and more about their music when I was in high school. I heard about Tommy and was blown away at how good it was. Then I listened to Who's Next and it was one great song after another, and I thought that album could not be topped. I was wrong because I still think Quadrephenia stands out as the best.  

And as a live band, there may be some bands as good, but not better.

Their covers of "Summertime Blues" and "Twist and Shout" might be the best versions of those respective songs.

I agree 100 percent of Jessey's descriptions of each individual. I was watching a special on Entwistle where they talked about his bass playing and he was simply amazing. I knew he was great, but the technical talk about how he filled empty parts along with doing the traditional role of the bass player. His work on My Generation was described as the first time where the bass was playing lead instead of the the lead guitarist. I loved watching them play.

Townsend is probably  more of a rhythym guitarist than a lead, although he is a good lead guitarist, but his face certainly is on the Mt. Rushmore of rock songwriters.

And Daltry to me is the prototype of a rock lead singer. One reason I like later live albums of theirs is because of how his voice became richer and fuller from the Tommy album and on. His later live versions of the early hits are better than the studio versions.

As for Moon, it's a toss up IMO as to who's the best rock drummer between Moon and John Bonham.

I do have to disagree with Jessey's time frame of leaving out the Kenney Jones era. Faces Dances and It's Hard are very respectable albums IMO, certainly not as good as their best but as good as The Who By Numbers and Who Are You. And if nothing else, "You Better You Bet" is one of my favorite songs of theirs, and I also really like "Athena." Also, Jones wasn't exactly a stiff. He was no Keith Moon -- who was? -- but he was a solid drummer and did nice work with Small Faces.

I'm glad they carried on even without Moon because they gave fans hundreds of concerts to enjoy their music -- even if it was without Moon. Losing Moon didn't really hurt the concerts. Jones was able to copy Moon's drum lines on the established songs. In fact, Townsend and Daltry said their concerts with Jones were tighter than the latter ones with Moon because of Moon's drinking. Townsend and Entwistle have said the loss of Moon was felt more in the studio because they lost is originality.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

That 1964-Moon's Death confused me, too!

Big shock, I'm sure: I love the Who. Behind the Beatles, my second-favorite band. I literally wore out "Who's Next" on vinyl, though I kept it as a trophy. I now have it on disc, naturally.

I'll never forget the 9/11 memorial concert at MSG. Though there were plenty of excellent performances, those old geezers came out and blew the kids away. It was the greatest version of "Who Are You" I ever heard ... right down to the "aaaaaaah, who the f--- are you?!?!?!"

I agree with Jess, they (along with Zeppelin, I'd say) were the grandfathers of hard rock. My next door neighbor is a 15-year-old who loves today's hard rock. I loaned him my copies of "Who's Next" and "Live at Leeds" (he put down a $500 deposit). He came over a couple days later and was wide-eyed -- "The guys are amazing!!!"

Yep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - The Who:
    [QUOTE]That 1964-Moon's Death confused me, too! Big shock, I'm sure: I love the Who. Behind the Beatles, my second-favorite band. I literally wore out "Who's Next" on vinyl, though I kept it as a trophy. I now have it on disc, naturally. I'll never forget the 9/11 memorial concert at MSG. Though there were plenty of excellent performances, those old geezers came out and blew the kids away. It was the greatest version of "Who Are You" I ever heard ... right down to the "aaaaaaah, who the f--- are you?!?!?!" I agree with Jess, they (along with Zeppelin, I'd say) were the grandfathers of hard rock. My next door neighbor is a 15-year-old who loves today's hard rock. I loaned him my copies of "Who's Next" and "Live at Leeds" (he put down a $500 deposit). He came over a couple days later and was wide-eyed -- "The guys are amazing!!!" Yep.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I agree totally about the 9/11 concert. I remember thinking the same thing that day. You had some great performances, then The Who came out and stole the show like they did at Woodstock. If I remember correctly, they played a song or two more than most groups did in the 9/11 concert.

I can't really rank the order, but The Who, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are my top four -- probably tied, with The Moody Blues and Dire Straits right behind them. 

I've heard everything The Who did, but I never bought Live at Leeds. I've heard it but never bought the album (or CD). I bought Live at the Isle of Wright Festival on CD, which is from the same era, and that album is great

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Not sure what to say that hasn't already been said here. The only song I can say I don't like is You Better You Bet, but probably only because I was overexposed to it. Townshend is up there with Lennon & McCartney when it comes to writing, it just doesn't get any better for me. I especially like Pete's solo album called Scoop, which was a double disk that contained outtakes and some other great stuff, like Mary, You Came Back, and early versions of Magic Bus and Behind Blue Eyes. And then there was an instrumental jazz guitar track called To Barney Kessel, which showed a side not often (maybe not ever) seen in music of the Who. I spent hours learning that song, and I still play it today. I think that unless you knew the song, if you heard it you would never guess it was Pete. Just shows what a brilliant songwriter he is -- 100% agree with the previous comment that he is on the Mt Rushmore of songwriting, up there with Lennon & McCartney, Clapton, and Jagger/Richards. And Daltrey is my favorite singer when it comes to powerful rock vocals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Absolutely one of the greatest.(Top 5 IMO) Many people consider them the Godfathers of punk. And some of the greatest albums of all time."Magic Bus", "Tommy","Who's next", "Quadrophenia" Even "Who are you" was good. My favorite song is "The song is over"