Artist of the Decade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Artist of the Decade

I thought it might be fun to talk about which musical artist had the most influence, or dominated each decade if you will. I'll try to start some sort of list but feel free to chime in any time. In fact I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts. I'm going to start with the 1910s because I reckon that's when rock and roll really started. In the teens King Oliver started his Creole Jazz band in New Orleans. He was also one of the first if not the first musician from the deep south to make the migration to Chicago. By the very early years of the 1920s King Oliver was well established as the Jazz King of Chicago.
    Meanwhile back down south in New Orleans a kid named Louis Armstrong was turning 19. In 1922 Satchmo moved to Chicago to join the Creole Jazz Band. Armstrong went on to play with Fletcher Henderson in New York, Fatha Hines back in New Orleans and Erskine Tate among others, While playing with Tate he invented scat singing. His career was so long and so prolific that nearly a century later Satch remains a major influence on everyone who picks up a trumpet (or cornet) with the intention of playing popular music. The south wasn't quite done yet though.
    While Satchmo and King Oliver were inventing jazz in New Orleans and Chicago over in Meridian Mississippi Jimmy Rodgers was inventing a little thing called country music. Bill Monroe listened to the singing brakeman growing up as well as his uncle Pendleton Van Diver and many black blues misicians. When Bill first appeared on the Opry in 1939 he invented heavy metal on the spot. Another huge influence on the thirties was one Edward Kennedy Ellington. Duke Ellington first played the Cotton Club in Harlem in 1927 when King Oliver passed on the job. Originally from Washington DC, Ellington became a New York and jazz legend, penning classics like Satin Doll, Take the A Train and Boy Meets Horn. William "Count" Basie from Red Bank New Jersey was also in NYC about the same time Ellington was getting going. He later moved on to Kansas City and Chicago with Harlem legends like Willie "The Lion" Smith and James P. Johnson and invented jump blues which led to swing. I'll follow up with the 1940s and 1950s later if anyone cares.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Artist of the Decade

Good stuff bro'. I absolutely love Duke Ellington. And all the others you mentioned are simply in a class by themselves. Brilliant musical artists.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

No conversation on the music of the teens and 20's would be complete without mentioning Cole Porter and George Gershwin, 2 geniuses of early American Music. Gershwin--  Rhapsody in Blue is still amazing after these many years, as is Porgy and Bess. An American in Paris is still performed today all over the world.. To me Gershwin is the most important composer of the 20th century along with Copeland.

Porter, was just a great songwriter. He wrote so many great tunes still popular almost 90 years later. He penned "Night and Day, which has been covered by artist diverse as Ringo Starr, Ella Fitzgerald, and Phish. Others like I've got you under my skin, In the Still of the night and Don't fence me in are classics. His songbook reads like a who's who.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I know that many of you are great lovers of Jazz and Swing and types of music that were popular before Rock.

I personally only like two styles of music that were around before Rock... Folk and Blues. I like a bit of Classical , but that am far from well versed or any kind of true fan.

I can't objectively comment on "artist of the decade" on anything before the 1950's.

I am going to skip ahead and say the obvious choice for the 50's is Elvis...would I be right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Decade:
    [QUOTE]I know that many of you are great lovers of Jazz and Swing and types of music that were popular before Rock. I personally only like two styles of music that were around before Rock... Folk and Blues. I like a bit of Classical , but that am far from well versed or any kind of true fan. I can't objectively comment on "artist of the decade" on anything before the 1950's. I am going to skip ahead and say the obvious choice for the 50's is Elvis...would I be right?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla since when do you need/require validation of YOUR personal opinion?

If you say Elvis it's ELVIS! You don't need permission to offer an opinion EVER!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sure wish my Pop was around to discuss this. He turned me on to the music he grew up listening to, the big band sound. I remember summer nights when we'd sit out on the deck in our back yard listening to Glen Miller, the Count, etc. Terrific memories.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just for good measure and only because I think these bands were as important to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal as anything else that came before are the big bands.
    Dorsey Bro's; Artie Shaw; etc.

Bill Ward and Geezer Butler were heavily influenced by the Big Band era.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

First of all, thanks to every one for bringing up names I've missed so far. Especially polar for bringing up Cole Porter and George Gershwin, although I think you really can't talk about George without Ira. In the forties a couple of things were going on in American music in my estimation. Basie's jump blues was really starting to evolve into swing at this point, so you saw the rise of the big swing bands like Glenn Miller and the Dorsey Bros. These swing bands had a heavy influence in rock and roll in the 50s particularly on bands like Bill Haley and the Comets. In 1942 Charlie Parker sat in with Jay McShann, Earl Hines and Dizzy Gillespie in NYC. Parker's style of course came to be known as bebop and remains an influential sound today.
    On the folk side, Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass remained hugely influential. However a couple of other rootsy guys were about to make their presences felt. Hank Williams had gotten a 4F deferment from the draft for WWII on account of having been thrown from a bull during a rodeo. Unfortunately his band had all gotten drafted so Williams spent the early part of the 1940s working at a shipyard in Mobile AL. By 1945 he had published his first songbook, and by 1947 charted his first hit, Move It On Over. The rest as they say is history. Williams went on to be possibly the most influential songwriter ever in country music.
    On the blues side T Bone Walker had perfected his distinctive gutar sound, and while Walker is never mentioned in the Pantheon of blues greats his sound heavily influenced Chuck Berry among others. The other bluesman making a lot of noise in the 40s was McKinley Morganfield, aka Muddy Waters. In 1941 Alan Lomax recorder Muddy Waters for the Library of Congress. In 1943 Muddy moved to Chicago to stay and began opening for Big Bill Broonzy at local clubs. By 1946 he was recording for Aristocrat (later Chess) records and had achieved significant commercial success by 1948. It should also be noted that Antoine Fats Domino released The Fat Man in 1949, which might have been the first rock and roll ever recorded.
    Mentioning Fats brings up another form of folk music which i believe to be heavily influential in rock and roll, namely Zydeco. Although zydeco didn't really gain national prominence until Clifton Chenier burst onto the scene in the 1950s, it's unique synthesis of French and Anglo-Celtic fuddle tunes with Arican American bluesy influence was the first real instance of the sound that would be rock and roll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

T Bone Walker is another of my all time favorites. The other major artist he influenced if of course the great B.B. King. Neither Chuck nor B.B. could perfectly duplicate Walker's sound, and that is the beauty of influences. One artist spawns others who have their own version of the original sound but also create something entirely new.

Of course y'all know how I feel about Hank. I would say he was a major influence on all American popular music.

And Fats songs are musical smiles, they never fail to perk me up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Decade:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Decade : *********** Zilla since when do you need/require validation of YOUR personal opinion? If you say Elvis it's ELVIS! You don't need permission to offer an opinion EVER!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Sorry you didn't like my opinions about Bob Dylan.

I don't want this to spill over and become a distraction on other threads.

I have my opinions, you have yours.

Let's agree to disagree, okay?