Artist of the Evening - Jethro Tull

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Artist of the Evening - Jethro Tull

I love everything about this band except for the year when they won the Grammy for Best Heavy Metal Album. I didn't think much of that album and it only cemented my viewpoint of the Grammy's.

The first time the band I was in did Locomotive Breath without any mistakes, I was in heaven. Cross-Eyed Mary was just as good. Aqualung is a masterpiece.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Artist of the Evening - Jethro Tull

In Response to Artist of the Evening - Jethro Tull:
    I love everything about this band except for the year when they won the Grammy for Best Heavy Metal Album. I didn't think much of that album and it only cemented my viewpoint of the Grammy's. The first time the band I was in did Locomotive Breath without any mistakes, I was in heaven. Cross-Eyed Mary was just as good. Aqualung is a masterpiece.
    Posted by jesseyeric

If I remember correctly jessey that was the first year of the Heavy Metal category.  I can still see the expression on Lars face.  Aqualung is a true classic and is part of my collection.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Wow...I was just thinking earlier that this would be good, but never saw them come up in the two months I've been following this group. Ironically, it was Tull's Thick As a Brick (long version) and ChangesOneBowie that I grew up on in my best friends basement on 8-track, which just loops forever, so you really know it inside out. And IIRC the only other 8-track we had was Elton John Yellow Brick Road.

I think it was Songs From the Wood that really got me hooked. Always thought Martin Barre was one of the best, and bought Bursting Out Live when I was around 15. Saw them once, on their tour for the "A" record, it was really good, but hartford civic center was a terrible place for shows unless you were on the floor, and we weren't.

If nothing else, these threads have forced me to revisit much of the music I've left behind, but this is classic stuff. Rush and Kansas are the other ones that I've resurrected after a long "dormant" period, and all of these three bands are still touring. If I only still had a turntable...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I can still remember how astonished I was when I saw the cover of Thick As a Brick for the first time.  I just couldn't believe anybody could try to pull off an album-length song.  And they did pull it off, which is pretty amazing to this day.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Evening - Jethro Tull:
    I can still remember how astonished I was when I saw the cover of Thick As a Brick for the first time.  I just couldn't believe anybody could try to pull off an album-length song.  And they did pull it off, which is pretty amazing to this day.    
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I still have that record somewhere. The original came with a "newspaper", something like 12 pages long. Quite a gimic...the copy I had didn't have the full newspaper, but it has some smaller cheaper version. I would think that a mint copy of the original would be worth more than a few bucks to a collector.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

I liked Crest of A Knave.   And a flute is a very heavy metal instrument.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Another soundtrack to my youth! 

I'm sure I could sing along to the entire Aqualung album without missing a word.  Except, I pause in strange places (because I had it on 8-track in my car)....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Another soundtrack to my youth!  I'm sure I could sing along to the entire Aqualung album without missing a word.  Except, I pause in strange places (because I had it on 8-track in my car)....
    Posted by cosmogirl

LOL I was an 8-track guy in the early Seventies myself.  I can't remember if Aqualung was one of the ones with 'continued' tracks or not.  If not it was probably only because they 're-ordered' the songs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Is there any other rock band so truly difficult to categorize?  Take some British Blues and English Folk, mix in some Jazz sensibilities and stop-start dynamics, then add some acid, some heavy metal guitar riffs, insanely dense lyrics and a crazy one-legged flautist, and that only suggests Jethro Tull in its prime.

The first box set I ever bought (on cassette!) was 20 Years of Jethro Tull, and it was a mind-expanding experience - so much more than the Original Masters tape I had already burned out.  From the early blues stuff like Song For Jeffrey, Fatman and Stormy Monday to dirges like Coronach, A Stitch In Time, Sunshine Day and classics like Farm On The Freeway and Fallen On Hard Times, it may not be concise, but it showed how versatile and spirited the band could be.

Minstrel In The Gallery might still be my favorite album (back when albums meant something).  It's got something for everyone and even more for the rest of us: title track, the elegiac Requiem, One White Duck/0=Nothing At All, Black Satin Dancer, 17-min. epic Baker St. Muse, etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Jethro Tull is one of my favorite groups. Saw them in concert and Ian Anderson was great.

Heavy Horses and Too Old for Rock 'N' Roll are two of my favorite songs, but they have a bunch:
    Bungle in the Jungle
    Aqualung
    Mother Goose
    Locomotive Breath
    Minstril in the Gallery
    Songs from the Wood
    The Whistler
    Jack in the Green
    Jack-A-Lynn (a somewhat rare song that's great).
    Cross-Eyed Mary
    Nothing Is East
    Thick as a Brick
    Bouree

And even though the album that won the Grammy wasn't really heavy metal, I still thought it was an excellent album.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I actually like many of their later albums more than the early ones.

Crest of a Knave, Catfish Rising and Roots to Branches are excellent.

Farm on the Freeway, Kissing Willie, The Teacher,Something's on the Move , No Lullaby,Locomotive Breath,Cross-eyed Mary, This is Not Love,Fallen on Hard Times, Undressed to Kill and Bouree are some of my favorites besides Aqualung and Living in the Past ( the two classics).

I think, at times, that they are my favorite non Heavy Metal band, but I have so many favorites.

Love and Rockets did a song , "No New Tale to Tell" that I am quite sure is a tribute to Tull as the sound is unmistakably different( and Tull-like) than the usual fare from these 3 former Bauhaus members.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Love them. One of my favorites. The only annoying thing about Tull was the way "Classic Rock" WYSP in the 80's and early 90's would only play like three songs: "Teacher", "Aqualung" and "Locomotive Breath". And maybe "Living in the past". Did K-Rock do the same in New York when they were Classic rock?? Benefit is such a great album I wished they would have played songs from the B side. My older sister got the Album "Stand up" in 1970. To this day still one of my favorite albums. The paper cutouts of the group is long gone from the album but I still have it. Remember that on the album?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Love them. One of my favorites. The only annoying thing about Tull was the way "Classic Rock" WYSP in the 80's and early 90's would only play like three songs: "Teacher", "Aqualung" and "Locomotive Breath". And maybe "Living in the past". Did K-Rock do the same in New York when they were Classic rock?? Benefit is such a great album I wished they would have played songs from the B side. My older sister got the Album "Stand up" in 1970. To this day still one of my favorite albums. The paper cutouts of the group is long gone from the album but I still have it. Remember that on the album?
    Posted by jaytf25

Now, all you're lucky to hear on Classic Rock stations is Aqualung.

In Florida in the 1980s, the album-rock station WDIZ played a little more variety. In addition to the above songs, they'd play what ever current stuff Tull released along with Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick, Too Old To Rock and Roll, Cross-Eyed Mary and Mother Goose.

They might have played more, but I at least remember hearing these songs on the radio.