Artists of the day: Deep Purple

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Artists of the day: Deep Purple

Just sayin' why aren't these guys in the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfAWReBmxEs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3o-fL4GC0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvMjPqCovM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgW0eMKXGJA
    Again, full disclosure time, the first album I ever owned was a copy of Abbey Road that my hippie aunt gave me. The first albums I ever bought with my own money were Machine Head and Led Zeppelin II, at the same time. At the time I thought Ritchie Blackmore was a much better guitar player than Jimmy Page, and I still might.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Artists of the day: Deep Purple

Blackmore in his way was better than Page. he was a lunatic with what he can do and you can see the influence he has on Malmsteen and others. Blackmore took his influences from medieval times as well as the blues. In their time, Deep Purple, Mach 2 and Mach 3 were just as important as Zep and Sabbath in the growth of Hard Rock.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I had a poster of Ritchie Blackmore. He was the first guitar God I worshipped.

I remember buying a double disc called 'Purple Passages' on vinyl around 1977 or so. I had heard the hits, but I had never heard an entire LP. Later, I discovered this was an early hits complilation. These were from the years before they were BIG!....the album was chock full of gems!!! ...and this wasn't even their best known lineup or their real great period!

I loved Purple Passages. them went on to buy Machine Head, Fireball, In Rock, Stormbringer, Burn, Who Do We Think we are, Made In Japan, and on and on....I bought them all over again on CD, PLUS LIVE SHOWS, BOOTLEGS...ANYTHING I COULD FIND!!!! My collection of Deep Purple CDs is larger than many people's entire collection.

I could write a book about these guys. That is how much I love the music.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm just curious as to other's opinions...

...but is it possible that Deep Purple's legacy has been somewhat clouded by the instability of their lineups through the years...??

...which in turn has made them more of a musical collective - albeit hard-rocking and beloved - than a cohesive group...??

(Unlike groups like say, Jethro Tull, whom through even more lineup changes, still had a core leader/frontman in Ian Anderson.)

Just asking because, though I greatly admire Deep Purple (some stages more than others), I wonder sometimes how public perception plays into the success of some groups.  Indeed, some bands never survive that fickle gauntlet.  (And I'll reserve comment for now on any comparisons to Zep or Sabbath.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Artists of the day: Deep Purple:
    [QUOTE]I'm just curious as to other's opinions... ...but is it possible that Deep Purple's legacy has been somewhat clouded by the instability of their lineups through the years...?? ...which in turn has made them more of a musical collective - albeit hard-rocking and beloved - than a cohesive group...?? (Unlike groups like say, Jethro Tull, whom through even more lineup changes, still had a core leader/frontman in Ian Anderson.) Just asking because, though I greatly admire Deep Purple (some stages more than others), I wonder sometimes how public perception plays into the success of some groups.  Indeed, some bands never survive that fickle gauntlet.  (And I'll reserve comment for now on any comparisons to Zep or Sabbath.)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

That theory is nonsense.

Black Sabbath has had lots of lineup changes, mostly involving front men. The Stones have had changes in lead guitar, Pink Floyd has lost many vital members. Frankly , very few notable Rock bands have had much more than five years with the exact same lineup.

The best years of Deep Purple were in the early 70's, but many of their later (and earlier) formations made some worthy recordings. And they were always one of the best live bands on the planet. Steve Morse has actually been a member longer (in years) than Ritchie Blackmore. I have heard many live shows with Steve playing the old classics and Morse is an incredible talent. The core of the band , Paice , Lord and Gillan had been together for a long, long time until Lord finally called it quits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artists of the day: Deep Purple : That theory is nonsense. Black Sabbath has had lots of lineup changes, mostly involving front men. The Stones have had changes in lead guitar, Pink Floyd has lost many vital members. Frankly , very few notable Rock bands have had much more than five years with the exact same lineup. The best years of Deep Purple were in the early 70's, but many of their later (and earlier) formations made some worthy recordings. And they were always one of the best live bands on the planet. Steve Morse has actually been a member longer (in years) than Ritchie Blackmore. I have heard many live shows with Steve playing the old classics and Morse is an incredible talent. The core of the band , Paice , Lord and Gillan had been together for a long, long time until Lord finally called it quits.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

No, you're not getting my point...sorry if it wasn't clear.

All those other bands have higher profiles - one or more figures who are well-known both in and out of their original contexts/bands...well known by average rock listeners.  Even the clueless know who Ozzy is.  They know who Mick and Keith are.  Pink Floyd are a bit trickier, but DSOTM and The Wall are pretty mainstream.

Deep Purple is well-known for a few choice cuts, but I would wager that most average fans wouldn't be able to name more than five songs and hardly any from beyond their Machine Head-era.  Not everyone has your knowledge of the material, zilla....

And even among rock bands, DP's lineup changes are dizzying, and they still have no one single figure to associate with - just the few songs on the radio, esp. the one everybody's uncle knows: Smoke On The Water.

So, again, maybe, just maybe, Deep Purple is widely seen as more of a legacy act, a few-hit wonder...??

(None of which excuses the critics who should know better, but anyway...)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artists of the day: Deep Purple : No, you're not getting my point...sorry if it wasn't clear. All those other bands have higher profiles - one or more figures who are well-known both in and out of their original contexts/bands...well known by average rock listeners.  Even the clueless know who Ozzy is.  They know who Mick and Keith are.  Pink Floyd are a bit trickier, but DSOTM and The Wall are pretty mainstream. Deep Purple is well-known for a few choice cuts, but I would wager that most average fans wouldn't be able to name more than five songs and hardly any from beyond their Machine Head-era.  Not everyone has your knowledge of the material, zilla.... And even among rock bands, DP's lineup changes are dizzying, and they still have no one single figure to associate with - just the few songs on the radio, esp. the one everybody's uncle knows: Smoke On The Water. So, again, maybe, just maybe, Deep Purple is widely seen as more of a legacy act, a few-hit wonder...?? (None of which excuses the critics who should know better, but anyway...)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Matty, Purple has sold over 100 million albums, so their popular appeal shouldn't be in question.

I'd say when most people think of the best of the early metal bands, it's the triumvirate of Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath.

I do see your point about the shadowy image as far as personalities, but I think they are seen as a powerful unit. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - I agree with you although I will never understand it. As Zilla said, Mach 2 and Mach 3 ruled just as much as Zep and Sabbath in the 70's. But I believe the loss of Blackmore, no matter how good Tommy Bolin was and all others that followed has tarnished the image of the band in some eyes.

Sabbath, with all their incarnations always had Tony. For many fans and critics alike, the lead guitarist is the engine of hard rock bands. Van Halen survived, Aerosmith crashed until Perry returned. The Stones lived with losing Brian Jones and Mick Taylor; had it been Keith who left, I think the Stones would have faded quickly even with Jagger.

Anyone - just my opinion on the subject.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Matty - I agree with you although I will never understand it. As Zilla said, Mach 2 and Mach 3 ruled just as much as Zep and Sabbath in the 70's. But I believe the loss of Blackmore, no matter how good Tommy Bolin was and all others that followed has tarnished the image of the band in some eyes. Sabbath, with all their incarnations always had Tony. For many fans and critics alike, the lead guitarist is the engine of hard rock bands. Van Halen survived, Aerosmith crashed until Perry returned. The Stones lived with losing Brian Jones and Mick Taylor; had it been Keith who left, I think the Stones would have faded quickly even with Jagger. Anyone - just my opinion on the subject.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I think it's a good observation.  And I think it highlights a difference from later bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, where the frontman was much better known than the guitarists.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artists of the day: Deep Purple : I think it's a good observation.  And I think it highlights a difference from later bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, where the frontman was much better known than the guitarists.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Actually Priest tours did well when Ripper replaced Halford for those few years.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artists of the day: Deep Purple : Matty, Purple has sold over 100 million albums, so their popular appeal shouldn't be in question. I'd say when most people think of the best of the early metal bands, it's the triumvirate of Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath. I do see your point about the shadowy image as far as personalities, but I think they are seen as a powerful unit. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% that "their appeal shouldn't be in question", as I myself bought more than a few of those albums... but "in question" it nevertheless seems to be, at least from my perch here on Music Snob Mt.

I'm just trying to understand how that relates to pseudo-critical non-acceptance for their contribution and influence to rock history that the rest of us - as fans - take for granted.

Take a band like Rush who has had the same lineup for four decades, released 30-odd albums, and has a rabid fan base and a robust presence on classic rock radio...

...and yet they might be one of the most divisive, polarizing bands in rock history.  That it doesn't seem to make sense is irrelevant to their noticeably fractious public standing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Matty - I agree with you although I will never understand it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

That's me...

...trying to answer the questions that nobody thought to ask (or gave up asking long ago).

:P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

If I may chime in.  You guys all seem to miss the point that some of these Front Men or Guitarist are also songwriters or co-song writers while some are not.  Just a thought reading through some of the comments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I think that's a good point, but I don't think the esteemed posters in this forum let that fact get by them...

There's a reason that DP doesn't get as much cred over here in the states, and its evident in the fact that they sold over 100 million records and only 7.5 million in the U.S.  The rest of the world are metalheads.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If Deep Purple ever made it into the HoF, it should be Gillan, Blackmore, Lord, Glover and Paice (Thank you GreginMeffa). That was the combo on Machine Head. I will never get Jon Lord's organ part on Lazy entirely out of my head. And that really points up why I dig Purple more than Zep. Lazy was a straight up blues song, and DP devoted an entire side of an album to it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I suppose if having an egotistic and electric front man or personality in the band is the basis for selection, than Deep Purple lags behind Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Jethro Tull, the Pretenders, the Kinks, Genisis, and many others.

Shouldn't judges by focused on how the music sounds?

I suppose there is a very good point here. Uriah Heep has been around longer than Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest etc. They never had a member who was a household name, even to many Rock fans. I mean , who really knew that Mick Box has been the lead guitarist for the whole life of this talented band?...who can name 2 or 3 of their lead singers?...who knows any of the names of the drummers? Do they have a huge following around the globe?....hell, yes. Have they sold millions of albums?....yes, again. Do they draw huge crowds to their shows?...yes. Are they what we would call a famous Rock band?....well, maybe not.

Many people might consider them an afterthought in Rock history. This "afterthought" or 'second tier rock band" has lasted a long , long time.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I think that's a good point, but I don't think the esteemed posters in this forum let that fact get by them... There's a reason that DP doesn't get as much cred over here in the states, and its evident in the fact that they sold over 100 million records and only 7.5 million in the U.S.  The rest of the world are metalheads.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Or, more succinctly, hard rock/heavy metal is much more popular abroad than in the u.s. (ditto classical music, not so coincidentally).

Conclusion: the rrhof and other clueless deriders are NOT reflecting an international, inclusive view on heavy metal/hard rock, but a decidedly narrow, u.s.-centric, corporate radio/magazine, bs perspective.  As such, their overall legitimacy (as it were) is once again suspect.

Great!!  Glad we cleared that up...!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yes, and i like the not so coincidentally line.  metal is as close to classical music as rock gets, IMO...

...which, i think, is why trans-siberian orchestra works out so well