Astonishingly brilliant gigs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Astonishingly brilliant gigs

Barrance Whitfield and the Savages are in England this week as the first stop on their 30-odd gig tour.  Saw them last night, and tonight and am going to Brighton to see them again tomorrow.  And I'm thinking about being their merch girl for a couple of weeks.

By a wide margin they are the two best gigs I've seen this year.....and I see a lot of gigs. Despite playing in a crappy hipster bar, both nights were electric.  They're coming back in March and are going to play at a proper venue, ;-).

Us usual suspects were literally laughing at the brilliance of their performance....I've never seen the like.  One of the great R&B vocalists with one of the great punk git players.  

Check this out, IMO a perfect song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJdBdGxSsZo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Astonishingly brilliant gigs

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Wait, you're a chick?  Not that it matters, you just sound like a guy.  I had no idea chicks liked punk.  

Actually, I had no idea punk still existed. lmao

Wait.   Huh?!   Something is not computing.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Wait, you're a chick?  Not that it matters, you just sound like a guy.  I had no idea chicks liked punk.  

Punk was never meant to last. If you are old enough to remember the first wave of Punk which actually started in New York became a sensation in  England a number of years before it migrated back to the U.S. (with only limited success , mind you...until they cleaned it up and started calling it New Wave), then you would know that Punk was a self-destructive movement( yes, more a style than a form of music, actually the guy who started the Sex Pistols , McClaren , I think his name was, was more interested in selling clothing and sex related merchandise from his shop than he was selling music). Punk was dead as a movement before most of us even new it had started. But, Punk ,music will live as long as people who like to play it enjoy listening to it.

I think I'll go home and play one of my Johnny Thunders or Richard Hell CDs tonite. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Punk isn't dead.  There's still punk-rock music and punk-influenced rock music out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wait.   Huh?!   Something is not computing.    

I always thought she was a dude due to typing style and for obsessing over punk music.

I took a double-take, too.   But he's a dude.   He might be bi, but he's a dude.   He's COMPLEX!   =)        

This was bothering me, and I could have sworn I saw him refer to himself as a guy in another thread, so here it is -- a DUDE.   

.even old guys like me in jeans and t-shirts.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This is why I hate labeling music with terms such as punk. If you listen to the song linked in the OP I don't know why you would call it punk or even worry about labeling it at all. It's rock music. You can like it or not, but to me the punk label is misleading.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"even old guys like me in jeans and t-shirts. "

I'm an old guy and I like chicks in jeans and t-shirts

"Another day closer to the parade"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

This is why I hate labeling music with terms such as punk. If you listen to the song linked in the OP I don't know why you would call it punk or even worry about labeling it at all. It's rock music. You can like it or not, but to me the punk label is misleading.

-Elvis Presley

Well, to his credit, the OP didn't label the music.  He called the vocalist "R&B" and the git player "punk",  and that's what would be on a resume, in general, IMO.   If someone wanted to know the general "feel" or direction, or even the era of certain song, or a band, these categories are useful.  It's not the way people should select their music,  which is when categories don't matter.    My favorite band that was in Sonics' "best of London" post was the band I called "timeless" -- rock n roll, horns, pure fun and dance-able; music that he said appealed to people from 17 to 70, any group of which you'd see at a gig.   No label.  =)     NOTE:  It was MFC Chicken, if you want to check them out.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

"even old guys like me in jeans and t-shirts. "

I'm an old guy and I like chicks in jeans and t-shirts

"Another day closer to the parade"

If someone can carry off that basic minimalist look, they're doing quite fine.  =)  

As for Sonics, he's a dude.   He should have put that "girl merch" phrase in quotes.  

(NOTE: MrMojo, I got ready for a yard sale yesterday, and am leaving in a few minutes to set up.   I don't have much to sell, but it's a nice day, and there's no cost for a space, so why not?  I only have one collectible, which I looked up on ebay, but it's not a big deal, so if anyone wants it, I'll give them a deal on it.    Otherwise, maybe I'll make enough to buy a new CD -- or maybe two CDs, if I'm lucky.  =)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Punk isn't dead.  There's still punk-rock music and punk-influenced rock music out there.

lol

Anything worthy of listening to more than once?  haha

Sorry, I shouldn't be so rude.

Green Day - American Idiot?

There's a Canadian band, Billy Talent, that have made a lot of good music that falls in the punk-rock realm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I went to see them again Friday night, and might fly to Spain to see them again.  Best 3 gigs I've seen all year out of 100s.

"Merch girl" was a joke....I broke my leg in two places this summer and went along with a band for a while to sell their merch for them (though I was supposed to be resting in bed).

Punk is far from dead, if someone thinks that they aren't paying attention....which is absolutely fine if they aren't interested.  And I'n not that much into Punk anyway.  And lots of women like Punk, why would someone think otherwise?  Obviously don't go to many Punk gigs....

This git player for BWATS, and primary songwriter, and founder member, is Peter Greenberg (Customs, DMZ, Lyres).  

BWATS are not an r&b band as many people think, though that is their roots.  Some Garagey songs, some Blues, some R&B.  Barrance's Soul/R&B voice is amazing, Peter is better than ever, super tight rythym section....

What a voice!  Listen:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gUqik0dXVM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

-Elvis Presley

Totally agree....some people get so tribal.....and create these little micro-scenes to describe music that hardly different from other, similar genres (Death Metal, Black Metal, Speed Metal, etc.) unless you are really into it.  

But it's all rock'n'roll.

And re "Punk", often people only think of '77 Punk when they hear "Punk" although even then that was just one sound.  From Boston in the late 70s, DMZ and the Real Kids were Punk bands IMO, just didn't sound like the Pistols.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

-Elvis Presley

Totally agree....some people get so tribal.....and create these little micro-scenes to describe music that hardly different from other, similar genres (Death Metal, Black Metal, Speed Metal, etc.) unless you are really into it.  

And re "Punk", often people only think of '77 Punk when they hear "Punk" although even then that was just one sound.  From Boston in the late 70s, DMZ and the Real Kids were Punk bands IMO, just didn't sound like the Pistols.

I tend to call everything that I like pop music, which is a very general term. But it best describes how the music sounds to me. Too often the teminology is used to set people apart or to put something down. Pop music is all one happy family to me. When it comes to music, I wear rose colored glasses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

-Elvis Presley

I tend to call everything that I like pop music, which is a very general term. But it best describes how the music sounds to me. Too often the teminology is used to set people apart or to put something down. Pop music is all one happy family to me. When it comes to music, I wear rose colored glasses.

"Pop" music is an interesting term.   I think it is a completely reasonable, descriptive term for an American to use i.e. a diminutive of "popular".

But in the UK, "Pop" music means something completely different.  Here it means the sort of cheap, cheesy, throwaway, boy band, X-factor BS that many of us despise.

I call most of the music I like, and lots I don't, "Rock'n'Roll".  Chuck Berry?  Everley Brothers? Fabulous Wailers?  Sonics?  Beatles?  Kinks?  Zeppelin?  Sabbath?  Ramones?  Pistols? Minutemen,....it's all rock'n'roll to me.  I love that AC/DC have always stridently insisted that they are a "rock'n'roll" band.  They are!

Sections
Shortcuts