attendance for 2013 concerts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

attendance for 2013 concerts

Firgured I'd start a thread to see what shows anyone has seen so far or will see in 2013..

I have tickets for two upcoming shows..Both at the great TT the Bears in Cambridge

Feb 24 Beach Fossils

March 20 Reigning Sound

Looking forward to both

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: attendance for 2013 concerts

January was slow for me, but:

Steve Kimock at the Tupelo Music Hall, Feb. 21

Richard Thompson w/ Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell at the Orpheum, March 23.

Also trying to get to Atlanta in May to see family and the nascent Shaky Knees Music Fest: Band Of Horses, Jim James, Delta Spirit, Gary Clark Jr., The Joy Formidable, Heartless Bastards, Dr. Dog, etc.

Ben Harper w/ Charlie Musselwhite at the Orpheum is might tempting, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

None yet. Speaking of which I need to troll the internet to see if anyone I like has new shows in the general vicinity coming up.

Songkick is a pretty good site for shows in the area.  You can track artists you like and get updates as dates are announced.  It comes in handy when traveling to other cities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maroon 5, Feb 23 Izod Center

Trying to decide if I want to spend $800 for 4 tickets to the July Taylor Swift show at MetLife Stadium.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Next Wednesday I am going to see Reigning Sound at TT the Bears. Their frontman Greg Cartwright I feel is an extremely underated garage rocker and heck of a guitar player.. Really looking forward to this show.. All for the short price of 12 dollars...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Going to see Wavves Monday April 8 at Brighton music hall...

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

And crap, Richard Thompson, Emmy Lou, and Rodney Crowell at the Orpheum?   How did I miss that one? D@mn.  I hope it was as good as it sounded.

It was pretty damm good, indeed.

Thompson is a bloody magician with a guitar; the electric set (featuring songs from his latest LP, "Electric") was jawdropping, and the acoustic sections were likewise inspired.

I'm not much of a strict country fan, but much of the Emmylou/Rodney work transcended the label for me (if a tad on the mellow side).

Having them all onstage toward the end was a lot of fun, too.  :))

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:

Firgured I'd start a thread to see what shows anyone has seen so far or will see in 2013..

I have tickets for two upcoming shows..Both at the great TT the Bears in Cambridge

Feb 24 Beach Fossils

March 20 Reigning Sound

Looking forward to both

TT's is one of my all-time favourite venues.   Always my favourite Boston/Cambridge venue.   The late, great, Rat was also great, but I always thought there was a little bit of a "Showbiz" thing going on at the Rat ("Were you there when"....."The hoodoo's ribs are not as blah blah").  TT's was pure r'n'r.

Reigning Sound?  I think Greg is the more "talented", but I love Jack more.  RS don't do it for me but are cool.

Beach Fossils?  Never heard of them before. Boston band?  YouTube has produced "Adversity"....and "Daydream".  Not a fan, convince me.

The Oblivians?  Among my Top 10 bands ever.  Easily.  A great, perverse, pleasure is playing "Bad Man" for people who only know the Detroit Cobras version (which is great!) and think some crappy little Memphis band covered it.  

Time was in a vacuum, when I wanted to be free.

But now my adolescence has all but left me.

I could have stayed another day, but it would be wrong.

And you would just grow tired of me, before too long.

Time was an obsession, but that was just for me.

You can tell by the sound of my shoes baby I am gonna leave.

Even if you plead with me, and say you were so true.

It's too late for long goodbyes Honey, we are through.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Feb 24 Beach Fossils

March 20 Reigning Sound

Looking forward to both

TT's is one of my all-time favourite venues.   Always my favourite Boston/Cambridge venue.   The late, great, Rat was also great, but I always thought there was a little bit of a "Showbiz" thing going on at the Rat ("Were you there when"....."The hoodoo's ribs are not as blah blah").  TT's was pure r'n'r.

Reigning Sound?  I think Greg is the more "talented", but I love Jack more.  RS don't do it for me but are cool.

Beach Fossils?  Never heard of them before. Boston band?  YouTube has produced "Adversity"....and "Daydream".  Not a fan, convince me.

The Oblivians?  Among my Top 10 bands ever.  Easily.  A great, perverse, pleasure is playing "Bad Man" for people who only know the Detroit Cobras version (which is great!) and think some crappy little Memphis band covered it.  

Time was in a vacuum, when I wanted to be free.

But now my adolescence has all but left me.

I could have stayed another day, but it would be wrong.

And you would just grow tired of me, before too long.

Time was an obsession, but that was just for me.

You can tell by the sound of my shoes baby I am gonna leave.

Even if you plead with me, and say you were so true.

It's too late for long goodbyes Honey, we are through.

The Oblivians version of bad man is great. I just love watchign Greg's passion when playng guitar. I am defintinely more of an Oblvian guy than RS.. but do like RS..  Beach Fossils I beleive are out of Brooklyn NY.. Nothing like RS or Oblivians.. Defintinely that jangly guitar early REM /Feelies type vibe. Pretty much alternative pop.. I like them. Not near my favorite but defintienly like their sound.. Yeah TT's is great.. Also loved the Rat.. Used to be there all the time in the 80's...
    Ditto Chets Last Call at Boston Garden

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

The Oblivians version of bad man is great. I just love watchign Greg's passion when playng guitar. I am defintinely more of an Oblvian guy than RS.. but do like RS..  Beach Fossils I beleive are out of Brooklyn NY.. Nothing like RS or Oblivians.. Defintinely that jangly guitar early REM /Feelies type vibe. Pretty much alternative pop.. I like them. Not near my favorite but defintienly like their sound.. Yeah TT's is great.. Also loved the Rat.. Used to be there all the time in the 80's...
    Ditto Chets Last Call at Boston Garden

I've had several arguments over the years with people - 3-5 at least - about who wrote "Bad Man".  Usually fans of Detroit Cobras (of whom I am one).  I'm not boasting about knowing that it's a Greg Cartwright of the Oblivians original....that's nothing special, it's just something I happen to know because I love that virtually unknown band.  My dad's middle name was Lindsay....wah hey.

It annoys me that people that obviously do not know who wrote it....but love the song....can't imagine a song that can be performed so "caustically" (Oblivians:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufgfrhsyg5I) is beautiful until a smoother song stylist hammers out the special bits to achieve the LCD.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Frank Black this Saturday at Sinclair in Harvard Sq

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Also trying to get to Atlanta in May to see family and the nascent Shaky Knees Music Fest: Band Of Horses, Jim James, Delta Spirit, Gary Clark Jr., The Joy Formidable, Heartless Bastards, Dr. Dog, Drive-By Truckers, etc.

Got my passage and tix booked for this show next weekend...

...looking forward to an OUTDOOR show in sunnier climes after this forsaken winter.

(and a stop at the Varsity to boot!)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Didn't go out of my way to start a whole thread for this. A while back I posted links to youtube clips of Mad Season's Live at the Moore show.

Looks like they've put out a DVD of that show and another show, combined with Mad Season's studio album (which I don't like nearly as much as the show), and also, a CD of the Moore show.

http://www.amazon.com/Above-Deluxe-Edition-Mad-Season/dp/B00AQO1VYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364225267&sr=8-1&keywords=mad+season

Thanks for posting this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Joe Bonamassa.  8:00 PM tonight.  The Wang Center.

Can't wait...!!  ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Yeah, what he said ^^^

Brilliant show.  A last minute decision paid off in the end...so glad I went.

We even traded our better seats to my friends' parents, so they could see better.  (Karma points.)  But our balcony seats were fine, too.

I will say, in all honesty, that Joe is indeed a good showman.  Not a given, since not many  so dazzling lead guitars can also be frontmen, too.  The tightness of the band showed, and they had their chances to shine as well.

Too bad I missed Black Country Communion when I had the chance.  That'll learn me....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I went to Boston Calling on Sunday... Was blown away by the National and also Andrew Bird.Also enjoyed the Walkmen. Some I chose to leave and come back.. ie.. Didn't care for of Monsters and Men or Young The Giant.. I truly enjoyed myself overall though. They announced a second Boston Calling in September. I will pass on that one as not a fan of many of the acts. But this event was very well run.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The National tonight at Lupos in Providence. Pretty psyched for this. Really enjoyed them at Boston Calling. Now seeing them in this much smaller setting should be amazing

Edit: Another amazing show. One of the best live acts out there today IMO. No question

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Just dropped $650 on 4 tickets for Saturday's Taylor Swift concert.  My girls are going to *hit when they find out.  I'm not going to tell them till we pull into Metlife Stadium.  Over the past 30 years I've seen everyone from Floyd to Metallica on those grounds now I taking my kids to see Taylor Swift.  Now that's the circle of life.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Just dropped $650 on 4 tickets for Saturday's Taylor Swift concert.  My girls are going to *hit when they find out.  I'm not going to tell them till we pull into Metlife Stadium.  Over the past 30 years I've seen everyone from Floyd to Metallica on those grounds now I taking my kids to see Taylor Swift.  Now that's the circle of life.

This should get you some major "cool" points...

...and nice to see you're as excited for them as they will be saturday night.

I'm no fan, but have a great time...!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Finally, this old man will be stepping out into the concert scene again. The last show I attended was George Jones, whose lungs were literally shot. I was worried he would die before the show, and he only made it part way through his final tour before death caught up with him. A terrible concert, but I was glad just to see the man before he passed on from the living. I am a big fan of a lot of his early music.

And now, the once empty future has a couple of concerts in the pipeline. Not surprisingly, I'll be seeing a couple  of old timers perform, fitting for a man of my maturity. First up in August is Nick Lowe at the Iron Horse. I love the guy, no matter what type of music he records. He's been on a really mellow vibe at this stage in his career, and every time I've seen him he puts on a wonderful show.

Next, in September, I will once again be seeing the great Richard Thompson at The Calvin Theater. I haven't seen him in quite a few years, so I figured it was time to get re-aquainted. Unfortunately for my wife, I couldn't find anyone to go with me so I'll be dragging her along. Well, if she can sit through George Jones wheezing, this should be better.

I'm really looking forward to my two upcoming old man shows.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

First up in August is Nick Lowe at the Iron Horse. I love the guy, no matter what type of music he records. He's been on a really mellow vibe at this stage in his career, and every time I've seen him he puts on a wonderful show.

Next, in September, I will once again be seeing the great Richard Thompson at The Calvin Theater. I haven't seen him in quite a few years, so I figured it was time to get re-aquainted. Unfortunately for my wife, I couldn't find anyone to go with me so I'll be dragging her along. Well, if she can sit through George Jones wheezing, this should be better.

I'm really looking forward to my two upcoming old man shows.

-Elvis Presley

Nice concert plans.   Nick Lowe released a new album a year or two ago, and made the interview circuit  during that timeframe; I heard him interviewed on NPR.   (Cannot tolerate the interviewers ... ugh, but Lowe was *great*).    When I saw him a while back, it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.   He is a warm, engaging performer.    In any event, your concert plans make up for missing Allison Krauss.   :)    

BTW, it is said that Nick Lowe gets better with age.   That's what we should all aspire to.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This just in. Pre-emptively I have made things up with my wife for the future Richard Thompson concert. By pure luck, we got tickets to see one her favorite bands, Rascal Flatts, at Meadowbrook in Gilford, NH this Friday! We had already planned a weekend trip to NH and amazingly there were still a few decent seats remaining in an almost sold out show. I'm on a roll!

-Elvis Presley