attendance for 2013 concerts

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: attendance for 2013 concerts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

[quote]

Next, in September, I will once again be seeing the great Richard Thompson at The Calvin Theater. I haven't seen him in quite a few years, so I figured it was time to get re-aquainted.

[/quote]

I saw him for the first time up in Portsmouth last month. I had one of his records, and never cared for his voice.   So I wasn't sure how it was going to be,  but I loved it. Both his playing and his singing.   It was just Richard and one guitar.   There was a strange segment in the middle when he started talking about Britney Spears.  And then he played one of her tunes. I'm still scratching my head over that. 

He closed with a tune I somehow missed my whole life,  'Beeswing', which I fell in love with instantly:

http://youtu.be/HApy-Xoix-g

He did a recording of Britney Spears "Oops!... I did It Again" on an album titled 1,000 Years of Popular Music. I like his sense of humor; it's a bit twisted. I've always loved both his singing and his playing.

Concur on "Beeswing". It's a beautiful song, the kind of ballad he specializes in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Nice concert plans.   Nick Lowe released a new album a year or two ago, and made the interview circuit  during that timeframe; I heard him interviewed on NPR.   (Cannot tolerate the interviewers ... ugh, but Lowe was *great*).    When I saw him a while back, it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.   He is a warm, engaging performer.    In any event, your concert plans make up for missing Allison Krauss.   :)    

BTW, it is said that Nick Lowe gets better with age.   That's what we should all aspire to.  

Yes, Nick Lowe is aging like a very fine wine. Another perform who I love everything about. He can do no wrong in my eyes.

Now if only Allison will play somewhere closer to me!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Teengenerate in Spain at Halloween is easily at the top of my list for the rest of the year:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzWb2C4a0Y

Hopefully, the Spits will be back in Europe in the springtime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wow. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. I now am going to be seeing Elivis Costello solo at the Calvin theater in November. This is like coming full circle for me. I'll be seeing Nick Lowe solo in August and Elvis Costello in November. Way back in 1989 I saw them both perform solo with Nick opening for EC at the Palace Theater in Albany. It was a great show. Now I will be seeing them again within the same year and same geographic location. Never saw this coming. I am sure looking forward to both shows. I like growing old with my favorite performers.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Wow. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. I now am going to be seeing Elivis Costello solo at the Calvin theater in November. This is like coming full circle for me. I'll be seeing Nick Lowe solo in August and Elvis Costello in November. Way back in 1989 I saw them both perform solo with Nick opening for EC at the Palace Theater in Albany. It was a great show. Now I will be seeing them again within the same year and same geographic location. Never saw this coming. I am sure looking forward to both shows. I like growing old with my favorite performers.

Nice!  I really like Elvis' new collab with The Roots...latter of whom I'll be seeing at LIG in Sept.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

September 7th Barrence Whitfield and the Savages at the middle east..a local great

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

9/27 7:30 pm, Satriani, Orpheum.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/01004A98AEE4BBF7?did=boston

Only seats left are back balcony it seems, but hey, the wife and I are in.

Was quite good and impressive. But overall I have to say I prefer a guitar master with more feel - Bonamassa, Slash, etc.

Definitely enjoyed it...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I have attended two of my three previously reported concerts so far. Nick Lowe was great. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I love his sense of humor, both in his stage patter and his songs. Every time I see him live he rises higher in my pantheon of favorite performers.

Just saw Richard Thompson with his son Teddy opening for him and dueting during Richard's encores. His son is very talented, just like Dad. Richard was his usual amusing self, despite the dourness of much of his music. He is quite playful on stage. I think sense of humor is a trait that attracts me to many performers, despite great differences in the types of music they create. He performed "Pharaoh", which I had posted on my work/anti-work songs thread. He called the song a product of his being paranoid 43% of the time.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyBrook. Show RandyBrook's posts

This year i did not yet attend any concert and hope to buy some.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Just saw Richard Thompson with his son Teddy opening for him and dueting during Richard's encores. His son is very talented, just like Dad. Richard was his usual amusing self, despite the dourness of much of his music. He is quite playful on stage. I think sense of humor is a trait that attracts me to many performers, despite great differences in the types of music they create. He performed "Pharaoh", which I had posted on my work/anti-work songs thread. He called the song a product of his being paranoid 43% of the time.

Thompson's show a the Orpheum in March with Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell is still one of the year's highlights for me.  That stage was just brimming with talent.

Nice to see they were all recognized to some degree at the americana awards recently, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

There was an interview of Richard Thompson in the Globe on Sunday; he played the Wilbur Theatre in Boston last night.   

Also, DD, did you see this?   It must be the review of the concert you saw at the Calvin Theatre.   If not, you might find it fun to read.

Glad you had a positive experience seeing one of your all-time favorite artists.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/09/concert_review_richard_thompso.html

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

Was quite good and impressive. But overall I have to say I prefer a guitar master with more feel - Bonamassa, Slash, etc.

Definitely enjoyed it...

I saw the Satriani show tonight.  The man is pretty awesome. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

Definitely enjoyed it...

I saw the Satriani show tonight.  The man is pretty awesome.

Oh yeah. I mean...damn can he play. I don't mean to criticize him. Just that amongst masters, there are a couple others I prefer and on that note: Mr. Bonamassa needs to get his a__ back to Massachusetts. stat!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Eagerly looking forward to Robert Hunter and his band playing The Wilbur tonight.

First tour since '04 and one of only a handful of dates on this tour...I just couldn't miss it.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

Sections
Shortcuts