Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Baby Names

My daughter just found out she's having a boy and she's going to name him after my favorite band. (I tried to talk her out of it.;)) My question is, were any of your names or your children's names influenced by music?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Baby Names

In response to digger0862's comment:

My daughter just found out she's having a boy and she's going to name him after my favorite band. (I tried to talk her out of it.;)) My question is, were any of your names or your children's names influenced by music>?

Congratulations Digger. I seem to recall your a huge Rush fan. She isn't going to name your new grandson, Tom Sawyer is she :))  Just kidding. No kids as of now, but I would use music as an  influence in choosing a name if i liked it well enough. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

My daughter just found out she's having a boy and she's going to name him after my favorite band. (I tried to talk her out of it.;)) My question is, were any of your names or your children's names influenced by music?

Wonderful news for you and your family -- you're young to be a grandfather, which means many years of babysitting, er, I mean fun --- hahahah.   

Have to agree, you're known as a Rush fan here, and while your daughter probably wants to keep the name under wraps, "Rush" is a fine name.   (despite the one (in)famous Rush that's out there at the moment ... :) )

As for me, nope.   Funny story: I do have the distinction of having my name changed on my birth certificate.  If you can believe this (considering the names people choose in the current day), my parents felt they gave me a name that would lead to confusion because it was so unusual.   By the standards of today, it's a great name, and would fit in just fine.  

I have a friend who has two friends whose names were influenced by music.   One is Rhiannon, and the other is Tennille.    Age-wise, both of them had baby boomer parents, in case you can't tell.  :)      

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Congrats on becoming a grandfather,it's a very cool thing.My daughter's name was inspired by an Allman Brothers song.Both the Ex and myself liked the song and had memories tied to it and we thought it was a nice name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Any chance that Rush Limbaugh is named after the band?

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Maybe Limbaugh was named after Mahogany Rush.

A fun fact:

Rush  (the band,not the man) pulled their music from the Rush (the man,not the band) Limbaugh show.This is the notice they sent:

The use of Rush’s music in this manner implies an endorsement of the views expressed and products advertised on the show, and is in breach of not only copyright and trademark rights, but also, of section 51 of the New York Civil Rights Law ... Accordingly, we hereby demand that you immediately stop all use of Rush’s music and confirm that you will do so..   http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/rush-limbaugh-peter-gabriel-and-band-rush-pull-music-from-show/2012/03/07/gIQAwXTlwR_blog.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Things could be a lot worse.   Digger's fave band might have been Led Zeppelin, or Megadeath, or ... you get the idea.      I believe Michael Jackson named one of his sons Prince, but it wasn't until just now, that I realized he named him after *Prince*.     Maybe.  

"I am no fan of perfection."   Ada Louise Huxtable  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm sure most know this, but Bill and Hillary Clinton named Chelsea after the Joni  Mitchell song "Chelsea Morning."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Or you could have a boy named Pink Floyd.

You could come up with a positive name.....'YES'

Or you could use names that are really names, 'Uriah Heep', 'Jethro Tull', or 'Alice Cooper.'

Or if Mr. and Mrs. Connelly named their child 'Maurice' (and Mr. Connelly was Maurice Connelly IV) , the kid would be known as MC5.

I wouldn't name a child 'Cream'...boy or girl. I imagine their would be consequences down the road.

If your last name is Bailey, please don't name your kid Beatle.

If your last name is Smith and your favorite band is the Smiths...you really have no reason to do a thing.

I would bet that there are a number of children named Nirvana, however.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Would you believe "Roxanne"...?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Thanks everyone. Great responses. I love coming here. He will be my third grandchild, actually. I am so blessed. My other daughter named her son after a gun, Ruger. Lol, it caused a minor stir.

I'm thinking Rush Limbaugh should be retired and largely forgotten by the time he hits school haha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Two very good friends of mine decided to give their child the same name regardless of its gender (they chose not to know).  Their 3-month old daughter Dee Dee is absolutely lovely.

Sections
Shortcuts