Badfinger - What's their legacy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Badfinger - What's their legacy?

As some of you may know (or at least know now if you read the song ID thread posted this morning), Paul McCartney was instrumental in providing Badfinger with their first hit single.   As a young band with no previous success, their songs were repeatedly rebuffed by the Apple label, even after being signed.   McCartney read about the band's dissatisfaction with Apple in a magazine, and offered them a song he had just written for a movie.  They wanted to put their own spin on it, but McCartney told them to copy it note for note as it was on the demo, because "that was the hit"  -- just as it was.   McCartney's advice paid off.

Badfinger's sound was linked to the Beatles due to the mentorship that was given to them, along with the similarities and comparisons that were made regarding their overall sound and vocals.  

The reason I thought to post about Badfinger is because I saw a reference to the song "Baby Blue", listing it as one of the great pop songs of all-time.  That song, along with, "Day After Day", "Come and Get It", and "No Matter What" are signature Badfinger songs, and are top tier classic hits.  

Two suicides of original band mates cast the band with a tragic image.  Bad timing, bad business ventures, and constant comparisons to the Beatles -- so ...  

What do you think of Badfinger?  Just another blip on the musical radar screen of the era from which they came, the extraordinary 1970s -- or more?  And if more, how much more?

Thoughts?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Badfinger - What's their legacy?

Nice Yogi. Loved Badfinger's sound, tragic ends for some, a handful of great songs but in the end, just another band. IMO of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree with Jessey's assessment.A few GREAT songs and the rest were kind of mediocre IMO.A good band,but really nothing more than that.
      The movie Yoga refered to,was called "The Magic Christian" and came out in 1969.It starred Ringo,Peter Sellers,Christopher Lee and Raquel Welch (as the "Priestess of the whip").Besides having Badfinger's version of "Come and get it" in the soundtrack,two of the writers were John Cleese and Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Meh.

A few good songs, but the rest was Beatles-lite.

At least Jeff Lynne and Todd Rundgren tried to mix up their beatle-mania obsessions a bit, with better results....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, thanks, and fair enough re: just another band.  Their career took so many bad turns, they're lucky they cranked out as many hits as they did.   They seemed to have suffered from very poor management; the history that I read was a cautionary tale on what *not* to do.  Sad.  As far as McCartney's song is concerned, that was their lucky moment.  They were the first non-Beatle recording artists on the Apple label.  

BTW, Pete Ham and Tom Evans wrote, "Without You" the song that Harry Nilsson made a mega-hit; for the next generation, who'd likely never heard Nilsson's version, Mariah Carey turned it into an international hit once again.   Not a bad piece of song-writing for Badfinger -- and apparently, McCartney agreed on that, too.  

Badfinger RIP.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I liked all of the Badfinger singles.  It is indeed one of the saddest stories in rock music.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nilrem70. Show nilrem70's posts

I also think that Baby Blue was their best song, but I also like another song that wasn't a hit. I saw a local group (Bethlehem Steel) perform it back in '72. They also did No Matter What. The song is Maybe Tomorrow on the Magic Christian Music album ("LP, album") which I had to have so I went out and bought it. Its also on their Great Hits CD and I'm sure everyone knows that all of their albums have been remastered with extra cuts.

It also helps if Paul McCartney dates your sister. Then maybe you can get a song or two out of him like Peter and Gordon did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Badfinger - What's their legacy?:
    [QUOTE]Okay, thanks, and fair enough re: just another band.  Their career took so many bad turns, they're lucky they cranked out as many hits as they did.   They seemed to have suffered from very poor management; the history that I read was a cautionary tale on what *not* to do.  Sad.  As far as McCartney's song is concerned, that was their lucky moment.  They were the first non-Beatle recording artists on the Apple label.   BTW, Pete Ham and Tom Evans wrote, "Without You" the song that Harry Nilsson made a mega-hit; for the next generation, who'd likely never heard Nilsson's version, Mariah Carey turned it into an international hit once again.   Not a bad piece of song-writing for Badfinger -- and apparently, McCartney agreed on that, too.   Badfinger RIP.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Yeah, reading about their history -- a real tragic and sad story.

To me, they help define the early 1970s. They weren't around log enough to be more and weren't as consequential as other short-lived groups. But they certainly were talented and shouldn't be forgotten.

As for "Without You." I was amazed when I found out -- years ago -- that they wrote it. Not taking anything away from Mariah Carey, but Nilsson's version IMO is the best. I do like Badfinger's version. It has a certain raw sound that's pretty cool.

Sections
Shortcuts