Band ID - USA meets British Invasion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Band ID - USA meets British Invasion

This American band was said to have a quality / drew influence from British invasion groups such as the Hollies and Small Faces, and yes, the Beatles.  They had a very distinctive fashion sense.  :)

They were clean cut.  Mod.  The lead vocalist was (still is) a name brand in his own right.  They had a major hit that sold over a million copies in the early 70's.  I would not be surprised if you turn up the volume for this, or others of their hits.  The lead vocalist, following the breakup of the band, went on to have a major, successful career.  

Power pop at its finest.   Active for a few years in the 70's.  After a long hiatus, they made a reunion with the original 4-man lineup in 2005, and were well received.   They left an indelible mark.  Distinctive, innocent, heartfelt.  

Like -- name this band.  

NOTE: Zilla, I know this one won't last long ... but it's fun anyhow.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Band ID - USA meets British Invasion

Raspberries - Eric Carmen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Hfx, your answer definitely fits the clues but I don't think I'd have gotten it so quickly.  Yoga, I'm surprised you didn't credit Rachmaninoff for Eric's solo hits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I guess Zilla was right -- didn't last even 10 minutes, eh?  Nice going, Hfx.  :)

I refuse to let this thread go to waste, so anyone who wants to comment on the Raspberries, please do.   They were a distinctive band from what I know, and had some very cool album covers; that is how I learned about them, actually.  "Go All the Way", was their biggest US hit, and has been named as one of the greatest songs of all time by various music fanzines.  

Eric Carmen's career was another success story in itself.  "All By Myself" has to be one of the greatest pop ballads of all time.  Must be one of the most covered songs of all time, too.  Timeless.  Are you with me?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Band ID - USA meets British Invasion:
    Hfx, your answer definitely fits the clues but I don't think I'd have gotten it so quickly.  Yoga, I'm surprised you didn't credit Rachmaninoff for Eric's solo hits.
    Posted by gerbs
    Nice, Gerbs.  I didn't want to stress Carmen's solo career, though, as that would have totally given it away (funny, I have to admit for a second or two I was wondering if I hadn't given enough clues -- who was I kidding?)  :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yeah, they did sound alot like the Hollies.

I would never compare them to the Beatles.

More or less a "one-hit wonder" type group.

I'm not sure how "indelible" their mark was. They weren't really among my favorites ( can't you tell?). I do own their greatest hits ( not they had more than one "great hit"...but many groups of this ilk have a "greatest hits"), I think I only played it once.

For "Power Pop" I prefer Materialissue, Squeeze, Loverboy, and Greg Kihn Band....now that is "power pop at it's finest!"

But, I'l tell you something. You may have not fooled the genius Hfxnut....but you would have got me on that one for at least two or three days....maybe longer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think maybe the new monsters of power pop are the boys from my little city of Halifax, Sloan.  Their new song 'Following the Leader' is just crazy-catchy, very dare-I-say-it, Beatle-esque.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Yeah, they did sound alot like the Hollies. I would never compare them to the Beatles. More or less a "one-hit wonder" type group. I'm not sure how "indelible" their mark was. They weren't really among my favorites ( can't you tell?). I do own their greatest hits ( not they had more than one "great hit"...but many groups of this ilk have a "greatest hits"), I think I only played it once. For "Power Pop" I prefer Materialissue, Squeeze, Loverboy, and Greg Kihn Band....now that is "power pop at it's finest!" But, I'l tell you something. You may have not fooled the genius Hfxnut....but you would have got me on that one for at least two or three days....maybe longer!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Rasberries/Eric Carmen are from Cleveland Ohio and had about 10-15 top 40 national hits according to the Norman Night Almanac.  I'll post back with the specifics.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Band ID - USA meets British Invasion :      Rasberries/Eric Carmen are from Cleveland Ohio and had about 10-15 top 40 national hits according to the Norman Night Almanac.  I'll post back with the specifics.
    Posted by cavaliersfan
    Yes, you are right on, Cavs, and I knew I could count on you to be here to point out the Cleveland, OHIO connection.   You always seem to know all the bands that originate(d) from your region.  Give us the facts, man.  :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Power Pop.  I get it! Go All The Way. The guitar riff at the beginning and bridge , is power (straight up rock and roll, man), and then the verse and chorus is pop.  Cool. But that "pop" melody is pretty sweet, and the harmonies are drop dead gorgeous. Nice pluck
    Posted by GreginMeffa
    You tell em, Professor.  Thanks.

Well, they have a couple of albums titled, "Power Pop" -- volumes 1 / 2.
    Have recordings with Ryko (see, I just connect the dots and kept the theme of Ryko from previous thread - I like the label, no denyin it)

"Quick: what undersung band has been cited as a crucial influence by Springsteen, Kurt, Courtney, KISS, Joan Jett, Mötley Crüe and at least two Sex Pistols? It's the Raspberries, arguably the most influential power-pop group ever to emerge from west of the Atlantic... Entertainment Weekly"

"Little-heard and criminally under-appreciated by the masses since their mid-70s demise (who's running those classic rock radio stations, anyway?), the Raspberries in their heyday produced a string of jangly tunes and dense harmonies as sweet and sticky as a tootsie-pop, influencing later power poppers like Matthew Sweet and Teenage Fanclub, and endearing themselves to fans and fellow musicians--Bruce Springsteen contributes reverent liner notes to this release, and John Lennon is pictured in the CD booklet in his Raspberries sweatshirt. -- Amazon editorial review"

Just the industry buzz.  For fun.   And yes, Hfx deserves props -- I thought this one would take a while (a few days, Zilla?) - yet again, I should know better. :D

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Band ID - USA meets British Invasion :      Rasberries/Eric Carmen are from Cleveland Ohio and had about 10-15 top 40 national hits according to the Norman Night Almanac.  I'll post back with the specifics.
    Posted by cavaliersfan

Actually ZILLAGOD was right.  The Raspberries together with lead singer Eric Carmen had 2 top 15 national hits as considered by the Norm N. Nite, Rock On Almanac.  During 1972 they were: Go All The Way and I Wanna Be With You.
         Eric Carmen on his own had 7 top 15 national hits as considered by the same aforementioned almanac.  From 1975 to 1988 they were:
         All By Myself
         Never Gonna Fall In Love Again
         She Did It
         Boats Against The Current
         I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips
         Hungry Eyes  (which was used in the first movie of: Dirty Dancing)
         Make Me Lose Control 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Eric Carmen and "Go All The Way" was most all I knew about the band...

...although I always filed them more with the glam and/or rundgren-style rockers (but a step above brit popsters of the day, i.e. BCR).

I'll have to give another listen and reconsider....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Band ID - USA meets British Invasion :      Actually ZILLAGOD was right.  The Raspberries together with lead singer Eric Carmen had 2 top 15 national hits as considered by the Norm N. Nite, Rock On Almanac.  During 1972 they were: Go All The Way and I Wanna Be With You.      Eric Carmen on his own had 7 top 15 national hits as considered by the same aforementioned almanac.  From 1975 to 1988 they were:      All By Myself      Never Gonna Fall In Love Again      She Did It      Boats Against The Current      I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips      Hungry Eyes  (which was used in the first movie of: Dirty Dancing)      Make Me Lose Control 
    Posted by cavaliersfan

Yes, the Raspberries were a two hit wonder.  Eric Carmen's solo stuff was more like 'soft rock' ( a term I loathe) certainly not 'power pop.'

I don't really know when the genre "power pop" first got a name. Surely many , many groups have performed "power pop." I don't know that I really like this name. 'Pop' usually refers to "popular" and I would say most of the best "power pop" songs weren't all that popular.

Is the music of the early Beatles "power pop?" I think many of the early Kinks songs would fit the mold. I would have to say a 90's group called "the Lightning Seeds" was a good example of Alternative that was also power pop...so how do we separate one genre from another?

I think I just set a record for using the term "power pop" more times than anyone else.

Sections
Shortcuts