Band Members Who Do Not Get the Notoriety

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Band Members Who Do Not Get the Notoriety

There are countless musicians out there in bands who never get their due because of the over the top personalities of some of their bandmembers. I thought this would be a great conversation.

Now you all might think I will say Ringo - but he got just as much press as the rest of them.

I will start with Greg Lake. First, he is an excellent guitarist and bassist and wrote some of the most beautiful music I have ever listened to. He was originally a guitarist but moved to bass at Fripps request. But the key with him was and is his voice. His vocals boomed out at you where you had to sit upright and take a listen.

Interestingly enough, people don't realize that he actually produced most of The Court of the Crimson King and all of ELP's albums in the 70's. Another side bar is that even though Lake had left King Crimson to form ELP, he agreed and performed all the vocals on K.C.'s second album.

Your thoughts and opinions on Lake and who are some of the musicians that you feel fall into this category.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Band Members Who Do Not Get the Notoriety

As far as Lake is concerned, he's one of rock's greatest voices and musicians in my opinion.  I'll have to think about others who fit here. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Just a few off the top of my head.....most bass players and drummers IMHO...keyboardists too......

John Deacon
    Graham Maybe
    Andy Summers
    ........................among a zillion others (who's names I don't know because they don't get the notoriety they deserve! lol)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

John Entwhistle never really got the recognition he should have gotten.I think it's because the other members of the Who have/had such strong personalities.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Band Members Who Do Not Get the Notoriety:
    [QUOTE]  John Entwhistle never really got the recognition he should have gotten.I think it's because the other members of the Who have/had such strong personalities.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Agree with John in part because of the dynamic of the group, but I think everyone who listened to the music understood that when listening to The Who, they were not listening to a bass player; they were listening to a bass guitarist.

But definitely a good choice since John is always number 4 on the list when discussing the Who

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Alex Lifeson of Rush is one that comes to mind

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Alex Lifeson of Rush is one that comes to mind
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

I really thought Alex was going to leave when Rush went electronic for that period. You could tell that he wasn't happy. But I think it shows the togethernes of Rush as a band.

As a band, Rush should be placed with the greats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michelle2561. Show Michelle2561's posts

Jane Wiedlin just saw the go gos last night in Boston. Jane always 
    was lost in Belindas light

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Love Jane.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

So many session players could fit this category... Nils Lofgren, Denny Dias, Jim Gordon, the MGs (RIP Donald Dunn), the Funk Bros, etc.

But I'll go with Double Trouble (Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton, Reese Wynans)

and the Experience (Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding)...

...backup bands for Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix, respectively.

And the ever remarkable Mike Campbell, longtime guitarist for The Heartbreakers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]So many session players could fit this category... Nils Lofgren, Denny Dias, Jim Gordon, the MGs (RIP Donald Dunn), the Funk Bros, etc. But I'll go with Double Trouble (Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton, Reese Wynans) and the Experience (Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding)... ...backup bands for Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix, respectively. And the ever remarkable Mike Campbell, longtime guitarist for The Heartbreakers.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Mike Campbell is such a great pick Matty. The originall drummer from the Heartbreakers, Stan Lynch was so instrumental as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Speaking of King Crimson, I would have to say Adrian Belew.

A top notch guitarist has had a nice quiet solo career, played with lots of big names, and his stints with King Crimson are among his best work.

I also mentioned Nils Lofgren on another thread, his long tenure in The E-Street Band, hi work with Neil Young, his own band Grin, Crazy Horse and his terrific solo LPs ( that have always flown under the radar).

Buddy Miles , who played with Hendrix's Band Of Gypsies, had a great live LP with Santana, played with Electric Flag ( with Mike Bloomfield...another guy who might fit in this thread). Not to mention Buddy had a pretty good solo career also. One of the best of the singing drummers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of King Crimson, I would have to say Adrian Belew. A top notch guitarist has had a nice quiet solo career, played with lots of big names, and his stints with King Crimson are among his best work.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I admire his work with Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club very much...

...as well as his stint with Zappa.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I also think Jerry Harrison ( no, not George!).

Matty's mention of Talking Heads, reminded me.

He has spent time as an original member of Talking Heads, original member of Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, early producer of the great Alterantive band Live, and had a brief solo career with his own band, Casual Gods. A terrific talent that gets no recognition for his contribution to Rock music.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Time to take this in a slightly different direction of notoriety.

I'm picking Mick Mars from Motley Crue, for the reason that, unlike his band mates, he never seemed to wind up in serious trouble.

18. This post has been removed.