Bands Or Artists You Like Due to "Aesthetic" Appeal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Bands Or Artists You Like Due to

This thread is not complete without a mention of the great Joan Jett.  (Where are you jesseyeric?)

When you listen to the song 'I Love Rock and Roll', a big part of the appeal is surely her sexy looks, voice and style coming out of the speakers at you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't think I saw this anywhere, but for me it's the Bangles. They weren't untalented by any means, but their "aesthetics" did make them more appealing.  Especially Susanna Hoffs,  who still  looks awesome.

As for Natalie Merchant, an incredible  beauty,  but her voice  is so incredible  I'd love her no matter what.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think I saw this anywhere, but for me it's the Bangles. They weren't untalented by any means, but their "aesthetics" did make them more appealing.  Especially Susanna Hoffs,  who still  looks awesome

Call me the invisible man.  I've been called worse though.

[/QUOTE]

LOL

Susanna Hoffs is practically a cult figure on this forum.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't think I saw this anywhere, but for me it's the Bangles. They weren't untalented by any means, but their "aesthetics" did make them more appealing.  Especially Susanna Hoffs,  who still  looks awesome

Call me the invisible man.  I've been called worse though.

[/QUOTE]

LOL

Susanna Hoffs is practically a cult figure on this forum.

[/QUOTE]

Heh.

Score one for everyone here who has a copy of "The Allnighter".

Bonus points if you have it on VHS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I mentioned, a while back, that while in an art museum seeing an exhibit of the artist Ed Ruscha, there was a very offbeat video playing, that he had written and directed.  (it was ongoing; just kept replaying so anyone in the gallery could watch it at any time, or step in while it was in progress).   Who was starring?   A very young, and simply gorgeous Michelle Phillips.    She played the (ignored) girlfriend of a guy who was hung up on fixing his car. 

Gotta say, The Mammas and the Pappas had a very unusual aesthetic.   You see the lithe and ethereal beauty of Michelle Phillips alongside Mamma Cass.   Go figure that one out.   (BTW, I think they were a great band.)

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

This thread is not complete without a mention of the great Joan Jett.  (Where are you jesseyeric?)

When you listen to the song 'I Love Rock and Roll', a big part of the appeal is surely her sexy looks, voice and style coming out of the speakers at you.

Joan is very attractive.   :)

BTW, I meant to mention that I heard from Jesseyeric and he said to say "HI" to everyone. 

He tries to get onto the forums, but his job has changed and he does not have the ability / time to post these days.    Our loss.  :(    When he gets home in the evening, he's too tired to get online, and the weekends are a wash.   Can't say I blame him. 

Even though he likes to play the "wild child" (heh) he's actually very responsible; he's trying to amass the necessary $$$ for retirement / future planning.   Living in NYC, especially, that cannot be easy.  

Anyhow, just wanted to pass along the message that he thinks of everyone often and misses posting; seeing his name mentioned, prompted me to send out this hello (should have done it sooner). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Jessie is the best friend I've never met.

I hope all is well, and I am not surprised that he is in reality a responsible and smart person. I never thought any different. I believe he would have added lots of good insight to many of these topics.

Tell him that it is still fun here, but all my Cheap Trick gags are on hold until he returns.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Score one for everyone here who has a copy of "The Allnighter".

Bonus points if you have it on VHS.

True story: I rented it right after it went to VHS because ...  well, because Susanna was in it. About six or seven months later, I was cleaning my apartment when I found it.  I had forgotten to return it. Can't remember how much it cost.

I actually met Susanna Hoffs once. The Bangles were just becoming big and were playing at a club in Blacksburg. I was there with a friend of  mine who wrote  music for the school  paper. I think she said something like, "Hi, I'm Susanna." I said  something like  "Uh ...  aanam ... au mauhd uhhhh..."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Jessie is the best friend I've never met.

I hope all is well, and I am not surprised that he is in reality a responsible and smart person. I never thought any different. I believe he would have added lots of good insight to many of these topics.

Tell him that it is still fun here, but all my Cheap Trick gags are on hold until he returns.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

Will do.   I agree wholeheartedly re: his full persona; he has a keen sense of responsibility, along with many other traits that make him a true friend.   He would have gone to town in this thread, let's face it.  :) 

I'll give him your message.   Maybe he'll find a minute to post, and come out of the woodwork. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Color me asexual too. When it comes to music, I use my ears. Period. Don't give a crap what anyone looks like. Doesn't turn me on or off to their music. I'm a damned purist to the extreme. Now if a performer I like also pleases my eyes, I won't complain. But I absolutely don't like anyone based solely on physical attraction.

This thread's a bit stale now, but the "asexual" comment is as ignorant as it is laughable, isn't it?  I'm about as far from being an "asexual" prude as possible, I'd guess...but what sort of perv would think about such an issue anyway?

Do I care about Hermann Hesse, or Picasso, or Dali, or Defoe, or Peckinpah, or Parker's physical appearance?  Of course not.

Do I think that Poison Ivy Rorschach (Cramps) is the most physically attractive women in history?  I do.

Is that why I admire her so much and consider her a great role model for my daughters? Absolutely not.

Even today, how many mixed gender bands have a female guitarist?  Sure, let the little ladies have a go at the 4-string bass, etc.

Ivy is a quality git player, was a truly joint composer (maybe more?) with the late, great Lux, managed the band, produced much of their music.....the driving force behind one of the most important, influential underground bands ever.

Asexual issue:  Cramps were by far, IMO, the most sexually exciting band I've ever seen. Butthole Surfers' topless Go Go dancers?  Little boys' toys.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Heygg3esSg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Dig the leather suit.

Not sure why this didn't become a mainsteam hit...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Is my favourite album of the 80s the Cramps' "A Date With Elvis"?  It might be.

Minutemen's "Double Nickels on the Dime", The The's "Soul Mining", the first two Lyres LPs, X's "More Fun in the New World"....are also up there.