Bands who you most identify with

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bands who you most identify with

I am the first to say that the Beatles are my favorite band in the world. I cannot crow loud enough about them. But they are not the band I most identify with. Most of us probably have several bands who are on our list of favorites, but who we are more emotionally attached to than any of the others, perhaps due to our attachment to a specific few albums they released.

Personally, I most identify with The Who, David Bowie, NY Dolls and Def Leppard. With the Who, and most especially Quadrophenia which I thought spoke to me directly. I was 15 when the album was released. In that same year, Ziggy controlled all my teenage RnR fantasies and the NY Dolls exhibited personna's which were so opposite everything a kid who grew up in Little Italy was familiar with. Def Leppard, specifically their first three albums basically pulled me out of my angry punk attitude and brought me back to that happy go lucky party boy which I was always most comfortable with. I didn't make a very good punk.

Who and what music do you personally identify with?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Bands who you most identify with

jessey, I thought you said before that the Who was your favorite? Did I read something wrong?

Doesn't really matter though , they are both great.

I identify most with Blue Oyster Cult. Lots of songs with Science Fiction themes.

I figure when the extraterrestrials return and take control of this sad planet, a song like "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" or "E.T.I" will be our global anthem. Sure beats the Star Spangled Banner...unless we are talking about the Jimi Hendrix version.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Bands who you most identify with:
    jessey, I thought you said before that the Who was your favorite? Did I read something wrong? Doesn't really matter though , they are both great. I identify most with Blue Oyster Cult. Lots of songs with Science Fiction themes. I figure when the extraterrestrials return and take control of this sad planet, a song like "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" or "E.T.I" will be our global anthem. Sure beats the Star Spangled Banner...unless we are talking about the Jimi Hendrix version.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

You are right in that. I just see the Beatles as more than just Rock and Roll. The Who are my favorite Rock band. I guess you can say that The Beatles are my favorite musical entity. If that makes any sense. of course, I live in my own little bizarre world so things that make sense to me might not make sense to others.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Bands who you most identify with : of course, I live in my own little bizarre world so things that make sense to me might not make sense to others.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I understand exactly what you mean.

Always remember, they laughed at Columbus and Einstien, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well I'm sort of a literary type.  For me it's as much about the words as it is about the music.  I identify the most with bands who produce lyrics that are intellectually stimulating, deep, mysterious, or full of sly, satirical humor.  A short list of those would include The Who, Blue Oyster Cult, The Kinks, 10CC and Canadian band The Odds.

I've been meaning to start up a thread about best/favorite song lyrics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well I'm sort of a literary type.  For me it's as much about the words as it is about the music.  I identify the most with bands who produce lyrics that are intellectually stimulating, deep, mysterious, or full of sly, satirical humor.  A short list of those would include The Who, Blue Oyster Cult, The Kinks, 10CC and Canadian band The Odds. I've been meaning to start up a thread about best/favorite song lyrics.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Well please do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

The Beatles, Elvis Costello, Frank Sinatra, and Jonathan Richman, probably in that order.  Lately, I've been on a Leonard Cohen kick, more as a poet, composer, and interpreter of powerful feelings.  I dig his ensemble too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Elvis Costello was the first performer who I felt was speaking to me. He was the first one that I "discovered" on my own and no one else around me at the time seemed to "get" him like I did. When I was younger, my older sister's collection of 45's had turned me on the The Beatles and Motown, so that was my musical foundation. But it was EC who first became "my" music. I have not followed him into all his musical forays, but I must admit his profound impact on my taste in music.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Hmm..Green Day, U2, Cure...Depache Mode....and then a bit of Camper Van and They Might Be Giants.  Dropkick Murphys on occation.  I've always said that Murphys and Green Day make you want to go light a trash can on fire or something and U2 always makes you want to put the fire out and pick up the garbage you dumped.  Camper Van and Giants just sometimes...like Barenaked Ladies...are just nonsense fun songs. 

And then there's Bob Dylan.  He's angry enough, political enough, personal enough, kind enough, nonsensical enough....though I'd skip the Born Again Era.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In what I think of as my most formative musical years -- that being high school -- I was all wrapped up in Bruce Springsteen. I bought into all that "runaway American dream" imagery -- cars, guitars and teenage violence, to borrow from old friend Steve Krikorkian. But over time, and as Bruce got a little too wrapped up in how "important" he was, I got over that (same thing happened with U2). Frankly, when I first read the title of this thread the first band I thought of was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. From the first time I ever heard "Breakdown" on the radio right up until I saw them on SNL just a couple weeks ago, those guys have always spoken to me in a very simple, straightforward voice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

And then there's Bob Dylan.  He's angry enough, political enough, personal enough, kind enough, nonsensical enough....though I'd skip the Born Again Era.....
    Posted by Yoshimi25

Many people share this sentiment, but I'll say this, if you can get past the overt evangelism, You're Gonna Have to Serve Somebody is pretty funky.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

U2, because one of their songs has my name in it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

The Beatles of course were my first influence. Of course the British invasion groups also. But almost as influential was the "California sound" (minus the Beach Boys) The Mamas and the Papas,The Byrds, The Turtles. I loved the Folk Rock sound also. Those were my first big influences. Beatles/British invasion, the California sound and Folk Rock. I really didn't get in to Psyhedelic and hard rock until I got older in the 70's. And let's admit,AM Top 40 was great in the sixties. That's what we listened to. My first top 40 rock station was WPRO 63 Providence. That genre had to influence some of you "older folks"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The 3 bands I listened to most during my formative years (77-82) were         

Black Sabbath: We sold our soul for Rock n Roll is one of the best GH albums ever.  The CD is currently in my car.

Judas Priest:  British Steel an album that doesn't get enough love from the public.

Iron Maiden : Bruce Dickinson, best RnR vocials.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 3 bands I listened to most during my formative years (77-82) were          Black Sabbath: We sold our soul for Rock n Roll is one of the best GH albums ever.  The CD is currently in my car. Juas Priest:  British Steel an album that doesn't get enough love from the public. Iron Maiden : Bruce Dickinson, best RnR vocials.
    Posted by Tcal2

British Steel was great, one of the albums that really brought heavy metal back to life for me in the early Eighties.  Most people know Breaking the Law and Living After Midnight, but there were a lot of other strong tracks like Metal Gods, Grinder and The Rage.