BBQ Songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

BBQ Songs

Memorial Day is fast approaching and with it the BBQ season will be upon us.  What are your choices for music to play at an outdoor gathering? 

You are the DJ - keeping in mind you may have a lot of different people with different tastes.  You want to keep the party going for hours but still inject your own style to the proceedings and maybe throw a few curveballs in there.

Here's my opening salvo of 15:

I Just Want To Celebrate - Rare Earth

Summertime - Will Smith

Do Ya - ELO

Good Times, Bad Times - Led Zeppelin

Hamoa Beach - Gomez

Train In Vain - The Clash

Ob-la-di Ob-la-da - Beatles

American Band - Grand Funk Railroad

RoadRunner - Modern Lovers

Got To Give It Up - Marvin Gaye

Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas

Funk #49 - James Gang

Flashlight - Parliament

Superstition - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Fire - Ohio Players

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: BBQ Songs

Coming from me, a real surprise, but I've gotten hooked on WBRU's Sunday radio show, "360", which is 5 hours of hip hop music, and it's insurpassable for anyone who wants to get the spectrum of hiphop music. 

So I'd make a mix tape off of "360" to play at the BBQ for something completely unexpected. 

Wish I could get a sample playlist to show you, but it's not available.  I'll have to see if I can get one on a Sunday when the show is live. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i listen to 360 all the time, they definitely hit all the different angles of hiphop, you got that right.

when they do the shout-outs it takes forever and i change the station, but i'm usually back on it pretty quickly.

there might be a way to find a playlist if you just go back far enough on their list of what's playing...i'll try later.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
    Light My Fire - The Doors
    Playing With Fire - The Rolling Stones
    Hot Hot Hot - Buster Poindexter
    The Heat Is On - The Isley Brothers
    Fire And Ice - Pat Benatar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I guess I would make a poor DJ cause I'm just not into making mixed discs.

I would probably put on a full show.  I'm thinking I might put on the Allmans 3/20/09 Beacon Show which has Clapton playing the whole last set which I have.

I usually however just put on the Sirius Satellite radio I have.  I like the commercial free part but I wish the stations would mix it up a bit more.  They usually have there own special for Memorial Day that I would be fine with.  One year, they played all songs that had the word America in it which was pretty cool.  Never realized there were so many.

I also really like the station that Tom Petty DJs for.  He picks really good deep tracks which is the name of the station he's on, "Deep Tracks".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Summer In The City - Lovin Spoonful

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Hot Fun In The Summertime - Sly
    Summer - War
    Hot In The City - Billy Idle
    Tangerine Speedo - Caviar
    The Music Never Stopped - Grateful Dead
    Pulling Mussels From The Shell - Squeeze
    Sunny Afternoon - the Kinks
    Summertime - Janis
    Doin' Time - Sublime
    Saturday Afternoon / Won't You Try - Jefferson Airplane
    Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees
    Dear Prudence - The Beatles

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Cool for Cats and ArgyBargy albums by Squeeze

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: BBQ Songs:
    I guess I would make a poor DJ cause I'm just not into making mixed discs. I would probably put on a full show.  I'm thinking I might put on the Allmans 3/20/09 Beacon Show which has Clapton playing the whole last set which I have. I usually however just put on the Sirius Satellite radio I have.  I like the commercial free part but I wish the stations would mix it up a bit more.  They usually have there own special for Memorial Day that I would be fine with.  One year, they played all songs that had the word America in it which was pretty cool.  Never realized there were so many. I also really like the station that Tom Petty DJs for.  He picks really good deep tracks which is the name of the station he's on, "Deep Tracks".  
    Posted by AGUY1
    I really like the idea of putting on the radio with speakers -- if it weren't for the ads I'd put that WBRU station on.   Radio really smacks of summer, IMHO, and I like the randomness (if you know it's a decent station you can count on). 

Squeeze -- "Squeeze Singles" is one of my favorite albums.   Every track is fantastic!!   That would be a huge hit at any gathering.  

It would also amazing to put together a playlist consisting of all covers. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I appreciate the 'summer'-themed tunes - some great choices so far - but I was hoping for some more out-of-the-box selections.

I recall years ago during big family blowouts that we were able to turn on WBCN and pretty much leave it alone for the duration - talking 1 or 2 in the afternoon until 2 in the morning. 

At some recent gatherings, I put out a list of a few hundred songs on a clipboard where people could request songs like a jukebox, and then I'd program them in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i always play my ipod because i have better taste in music than anyone else.

Tongue out

just kidding.

HOWEVER, i do take pride in my ipod because i whittled down everything that i wouldn't be okay with listening to at anytime, and have about 1800 songs that i ONLY listen to on shuffle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No one is saying anything negative about iPods here.  :D 

It's just that there's something about radio going through speakers outside that's very atmospheric.

Speaking of radio, WERS has been on fire lately.  And speaking of covers, I just heard the Grateful Dead's cover of "Good Lovin" (on ERS) and was thinking   ... what?  who?  It was outstanding, and I'm no Dead Head. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

No one is saying anything negative about iPods here.  :D   It's just that there's something about radio going through speakers outside that's very atmospheric. Speaking of radio, WERS has been on fire lately.  And speaking of covers, I just heard the Grateful Dead's cover of "Good Lovin" (on ERS) and was thinking   ... what?  who?  It was outstanding, and I'm no Dead Head. 
    Posted by yogafriend

A concert staple for the Dead...and one of their most-oft-played covers if I'm not mistaken.  The version from the Closing of Winterland is quintessential live dead (as is the whole show).  A great party tune in itself....

( actually have 1 ipod for the main party (censored for the little ones) and another 1going with my personal faves in the "adults only lounge"....)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I appreciate the 'summer'-themed tunes - some great choices so far - but I was hoping for some more out-of-the-box selections. I recall years ago during big family blowouts that we were able to turn on WBCN and pretty much leave it alone for the duration - talking 1 or 2 in the afternoon until 2 in the morning.  At some recent gatherings, I put out a list of a few hundred songs on a clipboard where people could request songs like a jukebox, and then I'd program them in.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Well here's an out of box choice.  that time I was listening to the station playing all the songs with the word "America", I heard a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "America" by Yes.  I had never heard it before nor since but I really liked it.

Then there's the Who's cover of "Heat Wave".  A little off the beating path.

Or, how about "Eat Steak" by the Reverend Horton Heat? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Now we're talkin'...it's always a party when the Rev is in town...!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I like the idea of getting input from the guests, so you can have a little something in the sandwich for everyone, but the bread would be this:

Johnny Come Lately -- Steve Earl (this is a no-brainer on Memorial Day, or it should be)

and . . .

I Don't Want to Go Home -- Southside Johnny (you can't have a party without this song, which is odd, because you can have a party without We're Having a Party)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

the undertones here comes the summer and husker du's celebrated summer

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'll toss these into the mix:

Wang Dang Doodle - Howlin' Wolf
    Got My Mojo Working - Muddy Waters
    Tutti Frutti - Little Richard
    You Never Can Tell - Chuck Berry
    Cissy Strut - The Meters
    Let's Go Trippin' - Dick Dale
    Crosstown Traffic - Jimi Hendrix
    Obviously Five Believers - Bob Dylan

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

slim -- except for the dead (not a fan) your other picks are great -- i haven't heard jimmy cliff in forever - now i have to go home get that lp on my ipod and i'm singing it at my desk now -- going home and smoking one too

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I can  get pretty lazy in the summer time. I think I'd load up a rack of CD's, set it to random play,  and then go search for a Mojito or Good Beer.  Picking off individual songs too much work for yours truly. Some of the discs would include: "Harder They Come" soundtrack with Jimmy Cliff 'Grateful Dead" - the self-titled live album with 'Bertha' among others on it "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" - Lucinda Williams "Eat a Peach" - Allman Brothers "Exile on Mainstreet" - Stones "The Great 28" - Chuck Berry
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Excellent call on Eat A Peach .... Hot sunny music at it's best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

As eclectic as my tastes are, the first three Band albums could very well play all day and suit me just fine....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoegirl75. Show shoegirl75's posts

I'm attending a New Orleans themed BBQ (the hosts just returned from vacation). I put this list together from my library:

Ain't Superstitious - Howlin Wolf
    Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
    Born On The Bayou - CCR
    City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson
    Cotton Fields - CCR
    Delta Lady - Joe Cocker
    Dixie Chicken - Little Feat
    Down South In New Orleans - The Band
    Fat Man In The Bathtub - Little Feat
    House of the Rising Sun - Woody Guthrie
    How Blue Can You Get - LA Gator Boys
    In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Picket
    John The Revelator - Taj Mahal
    Louisiana Rain - Tom Petty
    Midnight Special - CCR
    New Orleans - The Blues Bros.
    New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 - REM
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band
    Rag Doll - Aerosmith
    The River Hymn - The Band
    Season Of The Witch - Donovan
    The Weight - The Band

Thought I'd burn a CD for them. I'd love suggestions since this is just from my collection. A great Memorial Day weekend to all!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Trying to think of songs that contain the word barbecue...there aren't a lot.

Joe Ely - B.B.Q. & Foam
    Big Twist & The Mellow Fellows - Too Much Barbecue

Sections
Shortcuts