Beach House

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Beach House

Nice, dreamy name for a musical duo, don't you think?    There isn't much I can say that their name doesn't tell you.  :)

Out of Baltimore, Maryland, and out of the gate close to 10 years ago; they've met with positive reviews, but garnered more visibility and that thing we call commercial success only recently (that is, the past few years).  Four studio albums in all, it was the third one that seemed to put them on the map (and for many fans, will be hard to top), "Teen Dream".   Two tracks you may have heard are "Zebra" and "Walk in the Park."

I'll say this up front: I like their setup, but they're not game changers, and they don't offer much variety in their music.   Not a criticism, but the reason why some people may say, if you have one CD, you have them all.  I don't necessarily agree with that, but I can understand the sentiment.   I get a little Mazzy Star out of them, maybe some Lush, too (thanks to Polar).  

Their most recent album, "Bloom" was released in 2012, and ended up on quite a few "bests" lists  (FWIW), but even their fans were surprised.   "Bloom" is a concept album, and should be listened to in entirety, as it's a "unified vision of the world" --- not sure about that, but whatever.   

The good news / bad news about lots of electronic pop / indie / ambient music is that ultimately, the differences are very subjective, as are the reasons you may be drawn to this style of music, or a band like Beach House in particular.  It's like making a new friend: sometimes, you just hit it off.  

The Hours (from the album, "Bloom"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjxwHwSRN4

Lazuli (from "Bloom")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfzFVbkutFE

Ricochet (1)  (superior ?)  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QXc5duq-4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Beach House

I have 'Teen Dream' at home.  "Norway" and "Walk in the Park" are my fave tracks.

Pleasant, ghostly, but - as you say - kind of unassuming indie pop.  From what I've heard, "Bloom" seems fairly similar.

I can see the Lush connection (without the dissonance); I can also hear Ride, Luna, Low and maybe (recently) Real Estate as erstwhile comparisons.  (Check out Low's "Things We Lost In The Fire"...an ex-gf called it 'shoegazer with nicer shoes'.)

Lately, I've been getting into more quirky, noisy outfits, but it's nice to have something more mellow to sink into.  I also dare say Brian Eno might find himself at home in this Beach House, no...?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I have 'Teen Dream' at home.  "Norway" and "Walk in the Park" are my fave tracks. Pleasant, ghostly, but - as you say - kind of unassuming indie pop.  From what I've heard, "Bloom" seems fairly similar.  I can see the Lush connection (without the dissonance); I can also hear Ride, Luna, Low and maybe (recently) Real Estate as erstwhile comparisons.  (Check out Low's "Things We Lost In The Fire"...an ex-gf called it 'shoegazer with nicer shoes'.) Lately, I've been getting into more quirky, noisy outfits, but it's nice to have something more mellow to sink into.  I also dare say Brian Eno might find himself at home in this Beach House, no...? 

Thanks, and glad you have knowledge of Beach House via Teen Dream.    "Walk in the Park" is signature.  

As it stands, how could I *not* post about a band with the name Beach House during this cold January snap, as I have no warm weather vacation planned.    I do like what Beach House conjurs up, and while I'm hooked, I also think two albums may be enough for me.   "Bloom" is similar to "Teen Dream"; I'd recommend it as an extra to a casual fan, albeit, hard and fast fans have latched onto it.   

I checked out Low -- (I like the mono-syllabic names of these minimalist bands) and they seem to have written the book on shoe-gazing.  Yikes.   More I could get in to, but am trying to also hold the line, as I don't want all of my music to run together.  It's hard to resist, as this is one of my favorite genres.   No reason why I can't listen from afar ...  just not indulge in more purchases -- for a while, anyhow.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I checked out Low -- (I like the mono-syllabic names of these minimalist bands) and they seem to have written the book on shoe-gazing.  Yikes.   More I could get in to, but am trying to also hold the line, as I don't want all of my music to run together.  It's hard to resist, as this is one of my favorite genres.   No reason why I can't listen from afar ...  just not indulge in more purchases -- for a while, anyhow.  :)

[/QUOTE]

I hear you.  That rabbit hole can get deep pretty quickly.  (Would that I could share more with you directly as another fan of the genre.)  But if I see a worthy compilation, I'll let you know.

I think it's interesting how (labels aside) 'shoegaze' turned out to be less of a musical fad than a small but fertile influence on later bands who have tried (some succeeded) to extend the genre.  For me, it's always been about texture, not an easy thing to determine.  

Speaking of which, I saw where My Bloody Valentine may finally, truly release an album this year as a follow-up to their classic (and personal fave) "Loveless" which came out in 1991 (only two months after Nevermind, fwiw).  We lovers of noise can only dream...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I think it's interesting how (labels aside) 'shoegaze' turned out to be less of a musical fad than a small but fertile influence on later bands who have tried (some succeeded) to extend the genre. For me, it's always been about texture, not an easy thing to determine.

True, the former "shoe gaze" certainly did not turn out to be a fad at all, and I for one, am very glad to see that it continues to evolve.  

BTW, speaking of labels, as in record labels, I cannot help but notice how often the music / bands that I'm drawn to have been signed with Sub Pop.   I'm floored, in fact.  Some have come and gone, but did work with Sub Pop during their careers, ie, Nirvana and Soundgarden (major high profile), Dinosaur Jr., Mogwai (mid-profile) and just loads upon loads of other bands (obviously Beach House and Low).   Seems more often than not, when I look into a band, they're on Sub Pop.  "Bloom" is one of their current bestsellers.

As an aside, I'm seriously considering, "Electrospective" -- the album Hfx posted in the Brian Eno thread.   It's on Capitol, but I can live with that.   Just kidding.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BTW, speaking of labels, as in record labels, I cannot help but notice how often the music / bands that I'm drawn to have been signed with Sub Pop.   I'm floored, in fact.  Some have come and gone, but did work with Sub Pop during their careers, ie, Nirvana and Soundgarden (major high profile), Dinosaur Jr., Mogwai (mid-profile) and just loads upon loads of other bands (obviously Beach House and Low).   Seems more often than not, when I look into a band, they're on Sub Pop.  "Bloom" is one of their current bestsellers.

As an aside, I'm seriously considering, "Electrospective" -- the album Hfx posted in the Brian Eno thread.   It's on Capitol, but I can live with that.   Just kidding.  :)

[/QUOTE]

Great call!!   So many great acts out of Sub Pop...here are a few more recent ones: 

The Head & The Heart, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Wolf Parade, The Shins, Band Of Horses, Built To Spill...

...almost too many to mention.