Beatlesque songs not by the Beatles

Badfinger - No Matter What - 1970

Electric Light Orchestra - Telephone Line - 1976

Klaatu - Sub-Rosa Subway - 1976

XTC - Generals and Majors - 1980

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger - 1995

Sloan - Follow the Leader - 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2kJezRKeA

Check out the Sloan song...a very Beatlesque piece of work by my fellow Haligonians...that's right, if you live in Halifax you're a Haligonian.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Beatlesque songs not by the Beatles

Sowing The Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears is very Beatles inspired.

Almost every song by Klaatu is Beatlesque, so much so that people thought they were the Beatles in disguise. Wisely the band did nothing to squash the rumour. It was good for sales of their LPs. When people finally figured out it wasn't the Beatles, their short 15 minutes of fame went away. Which is too bad because they were pretty good.

Much of 70's music is inspired by the Beatles, with ELO being the most Beatlesque of the post Beatles groups. I think most of the Prog bands owe a huge debt to the Beatles. 'Mr. Blue Sky' by ELO could have easily have been a cover of a song from Abbey Road....it has that feel to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Soft Cell always sounded like a new wave-ish Beatles to me.

Add: ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" which nearly steals a title, too.  (Apologies to The Animals)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here's the most Beatlesque song ever:

Lies- the Knickerbockers...sound like early Beatles songs from the first few albums. The singer even sounds like John. 

Many ELO songs sound very late Beatlesque....Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road etc.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Enuff z' Nuff was so heavily influenced by the Beatles - you can hear it in most of their songs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

More albums that were "intentionally" Beatles sounding:

The Rutles ( aka Nasty , Stig, Dirk and Barry) a spoof film and LP by Monty Pythoners , Eric Idle ( a good friend of George Harrison) and Neil Innis. The Rutles were the "Pre Fab Four , who even embarked on their own Tragical History Tour.

Deface The Music by Todd Rundgren's Utopia....a brilliant collection of Beatles sounding songs that are so Beatlesque it's scary. My favorite - 'Everybody Else Is Wrong' is the song John Lennon would probably wish he really did write. It's that good, but then Todd was a pretty damn good songwriter....but writing songs in another person's style without commiting plagarism is brilliant. The follow up LP by Utopia, 'Swing To The Right' has the misguided youth of the 60's burning the album in a bonfire ( it is actually a picture of the rightwing youth burning Beatle albums...the Utopia LP is superimposed ...in reaction to Lennon's famous quip about being 'BIGGER THAN JESUS"...a sad and hilarious chapter in Rock history all at the same time. Sad that people would really believe Lennon meant this literally ( especially when you take into account the jokester that he was), and hilarious for basically the same reason, that people would go to this extreme over a simple sentence made in jest. But Lennon had the last laugh, sort of, because I hate to tell all the bible thumpers but the Beatles really were more popular than Jesus....perhaps it was the name Lennon that sounds like Lenin, which got people thinking maybe this guy is dangerous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

While not "Beatlesque" in sound the Mothers of Invention with that wacky Frank Zappa made "We're Only In It For the Money" which uses a spoof on the Sgt. Pepper album cover. It is also the title of at least two threads started by me....two of my greatest, by the way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Somebody please listen to the Sloan song and tell me how you would rate it for Beatle-ishness.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Anything by Jeff Lynn or Cheap Trick

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Somebody please listen to the Sloan song and tell me how you would rate it for Beatle-ishness. 

On Ballot Question Sloan (hahaha) ... 

In the spirit of Election Day, I'm afraid I have to vote "no" on the Sloan song re: being Beatles-esque with an initial gut reaction.

With the power of suggestion, however, I can see why you might think so (esp. the vocals) -- but it's a stretch.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Something So Strong" by Crowded House -- this has possibilities, IMO.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXArBZItqGc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Agree on Something So Strong being Beatle-ish...a few others by Crowded House as well, like Don't Dream It's Over.

Greg and yoga, thanks for checking out the Sloan tune.  Neither of you find it Beatle-ish...interesting...I guess it's now incumbent on me to figure out why I find it so.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Really good song man, thanks.  Check out my Jellyfish links above

Listened to 'em both.  My first Jellyfish tunes.  Excellent stuff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Al Stewart - Terminal Eyes

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with the mention of ELO, but the one song of theirs that hasn't been mentioned that I feel most sounds like The Beatles is "Can't Get It Out of My Head."

Jeff Lynne really sounds like John Lennon on this song IMO.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Whats the big deal with the beattles, Nothing but an overhyped, overrated, Overplayed average at best band in my eyes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Whats the big deal with the beattles, Nothing but an overhyped, overrated, Overplayed average at best band in my eyes.

You are now obliged to tell us your year of birth.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts