Ben Harper: "I've had to earn my way to this chair, playing with Charlie Musselwhite"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ben Harper: "I've had to earn my way to this chair, playing with Charlie Musselwhite"

"Get Up!", the highly acclaimed new album release for Ben Harper and legendary blues, harmonica virtuoso, Charlie Musselwhite, was released on January 29th.  

The collaboration was 10 years in the making, but far before that, Harper's introduction to Musselwhite goes back to his youth, in his parents' music store in Claremont, CA.  

"We had Charlie's records stacked high at my family's store and at my house," Harper said in a recent interview on NPR.   

As Harper progressed in his career, it became a life goal to collaborate with Musselwhite; therefore, he feels that the album is just about the pinnacle of his career thus far.   

Musselwhite turned 69 recently.  "As a player on the Chicago blues scene of the 1960s and a running buddy of John Lee Hooker, Charlie Musselwhite helped hammer out the genre’s shape when it was still red-hot."

The album is all new original material.  Ben Harper does all the singing; Musselwhite plays the harmonica.   Musselwhite is the only harmonica player ever inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame, BTW.  

There are quite a few reviews, articles and clips of current publicity that you can find quite easily if you're interested in pursuing the album or more information.   

Check out Harper's FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/benharper

A song from the album performed on Jay Leno: http://www.hulu.com/embed-html.html?eid=h35ponazkn039oi2aow-xq&et=2518&st=2286

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Ben Harper:

Musselwhite was apparently the model for Elwood Blues, fwiw.

Yet another reason to love Ben Harper...the man has excellent taste.  Growing up in a record store helps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Where did this information come from that said Musselwhite is the only harmonica player ever inducted into the Rnr HOF. I can't find his name on the list of inductees. Was he inducted as part of a group?

I also found that harmonica player Little Walter Jacobs was inducted into the RnR HOF as a sideman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Where did this information come from that said Musselwhite is the only harmonica player ever inducted into the Rnr HOF. I can't find his name on the list of inductees. Was he inducted as part of a group?

I also found that harmonica player Little Walter Jacobs was inducted into the RnR HOF as a sideman.

BTW, I forgot to say in the OP, that the album was recorded on  STAX / Concord Music Group.  It is Harper's first album on that label, in fact.    I remember that STAX was one of the favorites in the recent labels thread, so I wanted to be sure to mention it.  

As for the reference, I had to close some of the open tabs on my browser, as it was going to crash if I didn't, after reading up on the album, but I just remembered where I saw the quote about the RnR HoF -- it was in Mother Jones.

MY BAD.   In re-reading it, I can see I made an error, as the artist who was inducted was Little Walter, indeed.   Too much speed reading is never a good idea.  :(    
    Thank you for noticing, as I am nothing if not thankful for being corrected for inaccurate information.   Here is the exact spot:

"Born in Mississippi, Musselwhite has long been a leading exponent of the driving blues style pioneered by Little Walter, the only harmonica player ever inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Musslewhite made it into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2010.   

And not for nothin', I don't think I've ever seen more reviews filled with such lavish accolades or a bigger love affair between reviewers and musicians than I've seen for "Get Up" and Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite.   Critics and bloggers are gushing all over it.  

For anyone who's interested in pursuing the album:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/167664-ben-harper-and-charlie-musselwhite-get-up/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

BTW, I forgot to say in the OP, that the album was recorded on  STAX / Concord Music Group.  It is Harper's first album on that label, in fact.    I remember that STAX was one of the favorites in the recent labels thread, so I wanted to be sure to mention it.  

As for the reference, I had to close some of the open tabs on my browser, as it was going to crash if I didn't, after reading up on the album, but I just remembered where I saw the quote about the RnR HoF -- it was in Mother Jones.

MY BAD.   In re-reading it, I can see I made an error, as the artist who was inducted was Little Walter, indeed.   Too much speed reading is never a good idea.  :(    
    Thank you for noticing, as I am nothing if not thankful for being corrected for inaccurate information.   Here is the exact spot:

"Born in Mississippi, Musselwhite has long been a leading exponent of the driving blues style pioneered by Little Walter, the only harmonica player ever inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Musslewhite made it into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2010.   

And not for nothin', I don't think I've ever seen more reviews filled with such lavish accolades or a bigger love affair between reviewers and musicians than I've seen for "Get Up" and Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite.   Critics and bloggers are gushing all over it.  

For anyone who's interested in pursuing the album:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/167664-ben-harper-and-charlie-musselwhite-get-up/

The reason I wondered is because it surprised me to think that no other great blues harmonica player had been inducted. Being a big blues fan, I'm disappointed that some blues greats are still not in the hall, not that it really matters. Also, I had just been reading about Musselwhite online relating to some blues music I was listening to. Musselwhite is the real deal when it comes to blowing a great blues harp. Muddy Waters was a big backer of his, so that's good enough for me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't care who's inducted in the R n' R  Hall of whatever.

There are many brilliant harmonica players out there. Sonny Boy Williamson, James Cotton , Little Walter, Junior Wells, Magic Dick, Bob Dylan and Neil Young...to name a few.

I think you'll find Neil Young and Bob Dylan are in that silly hall. But, not strictly for their harmonica playing.

Sections
Shortcuts