Best Acoustic Rock Songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Best Acoustic Rock Songs

Not sure if this has been done before. Rock music has been largely defined by electric instruments, we all know the standard, guitar, bass, drums, sometimes keys, horns etc. Many songs are acoustic at their core, usually the intro, then add other supporting instruments, both acoustic and electric. There is a ton of great acoustic stuff out there. What do you think are the best?

When I think acoustic rock I think of Neil Young, some Beatles, Zeppelin, Dylan, the list is practically endless. Some of my favorites include

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    That's The Way, Rain Song, Over the Hills and Far Away - Zeppelin
    Yesterday, Rocky Raccoon - Beatles
    Behind Blue Eyes - The Who
    Black Water - Doobie Brothers
    Old Man, Needle and the Damage Done - Neil Young

and also many of the Unplugged recordings popularized over the past couple decades. Alice in Chains, Clapton, and Nirvana are few that come to mind that really stand out. In fact, I never really cared much for Nirvana and then saw the Unplugged stuff, which changed my opinion. Both AIC and Nirvana are known for being "in your face" loud, but by doing acoustic versions of their songs, show the music for what it is -- great songwriting that doesn't require distorted guitars, effects, and stacks of amplifiers, bone crunching ryhthym sections. Hearing the acoustic version of The Rooster, or the acoustic arrangement of Layla, I just want more. Makes me wonder "what could be". Acoustic Metallica sounds like an oxymoron. Could Steven Tyler and the boys pull off an acoustic set?

I also love it when great live bands take an acoustic detour during their sets, as evidenced here in a great live clip from Zeppelin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWPkgtaOTw

and then this acoustic version of Pride and Joy, on the 12-string, which makes my eyes water every time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZkLVinwR4E

One thing seems clear to me...acoustic versions of songs originally electric often work well, while the opposite just doesn't. All Along the Watchtower is an exception. Prove me otherwise. Diversity makes the world go 'round. I'm just a jazz guitar hack in a rock and roll world.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Best Acoustic Rock Songs

Angie-Stones
    Love Ain't for Keeping-The Who

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When I think of an acoustic song, I think of one that has no electric guitars in them. That's why I don't consider Behind Blue Eyes acoustic. It has that first two minutes but when the drums kick in after the two verses, electric guitars come in too.

The best acoustic opening rip my be Nancy Wilson doing the intro to Crazy on You, but of course, electric guitars kick in strong after the intro.

If you include the singer-songwriters and folk rock groups and have performers like Simon and Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young) etc, the list become extremely long. From this group:

Sounds of Silence -- Simon and Garfunkel
    The Boxer -- Simon and Garfunkel
    Homeward Bound -- S&G
    America -- S&G
    Wild World -- Cat Stevens
    Father and Son -- Cat Stevens
    Peace Train -- Cat Stevens
    Teach Your Children -- CSN
    Suite Judy Blue Eyes -- CSN
    Leader of the Band -- Dan Fogelberg
    Time in a Bottle -- Jim Croce

One more song from the more electrified bands
    Goin' to California -- Led Zeppelin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Not sure if this song is purely acoustic, but there's lots of acoustic in it.

Horse With No Name (America)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Best Acoustic Rock Songs:
    Not sure if this song is purely acoustic, but there's lots of acoustic in it. Horse With No Name (America)
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I forgot about America. I'd add:

Lonely People
    Sister Golden Hair

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think this is harder than "Greatest Song".

Fire and Rain - James Taylor
    Gallow's Pole - Led Zep
    39 - Queen
    If I Fell - Beatles
    and a hundred more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Guns and Roses-I used to love her (but I had to kill her)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rikky. Show Rikky's posts

"That's the Way"--Led Zep (and "Goin' To California", of course!)
    "Bermuda Highway" and "The Bear"--My Morning Jacket
    "Seed of Memory"--Terry Reid

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Mr Mojo - Nice!

The rumor is that this song was written about someone's dog.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Pink Moon - Nick Drake
    Waltz #2 - Elliot Smith

Both of these guys were great songwriters who left us way too soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Country Girl, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Old Laughing lady -Neil Young
    From The Beginning, Still You Turn me on, Father Christmas-ELP
    Friend of the Devil- Dead
    Lee Shore, 4and 20- CSN
    Wild Horses- Stones
    Hide Your Love Away- Beatles
    Running Blind, Voices -Godsmack
    Mood For a Day-Yes
    Riverside-America
    Can"t Find My Way Home-- Blind Faith

To name a few...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I think this is harder than "Greatest Song". Fire and Rain - James Taylor Gallow's Pole - Led Zep 39 - Queen If I Fell - Beatles and a hundred more.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Thanks for the reminder on '39.   One of the best songs - no "acoustic" qualifier needed.  A true gem from an indispensable album.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Reason to belive and atlantic city off Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska CD are two great ones.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I believe Old Man by Neil Young is basically an accoustic song with a slide guitar backing it up.

God I love this song.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"That's the Way"--Led Zep (and "Goin' To California", of course!) "Bermuda Highway" and "The Bear"--My Morning Jacket "Seed of Memory"--Terry Reid
    Posted by Rikky

LOVE MMJ!!   "Sooner" - off the Acoustic Citsuoca disc is sublime...a very underrated band, IMO.

Others:
    "Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young...perfect song in every way.
    "Thirteen" - Big Star
    "Working Class Hero" - Lennon
    "California" - Joni Mitchell
    "Deja Vu" - CSN&Y
    "Things Behind The Sun" - Nick Drake
    "Sweet Thing" - Van Morrison

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Two Steps Behind (Def Leppard)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I've been away for a few days, looks like you guys are doing just fine.

You've hit on most of the ones I would have thought about.

I think there is a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, 'Simple Man' which might be in this category. Possibly I have the wrong title, if I do, I apologize.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Friend of a Devil - The Grateful Dead
    Uncle John's Band - The Grateful Dead

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mynameisAugustWest. Show mynameisAugustWest's posts

"Sweet Thing" - Van Morrison
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Nice pull.

Didn't see Tangerine mentioned amonged the Zep tunes, guess it is probably more pedal steel than acoustic.  I'd go That's the way or Going to California.

G&R Patience, Segar Night Moves, Neil Harvest Moon

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from droolboy. Show droolboy's posts

^^^ this guy knows whats up *wink*

Mr. Banker by Lynyrd Skynyrd. great tune...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazydo. Show dazydo's posts

In Response to Best Acoustic Rock Songs:
    Not sure if this has been done before. Rock music has been largely defined by electric instruments, we all know the standard, guitar, bass, drums, sometimes keys, horns etc. Many songs are acoustic at their core, usually the intro, then add other supporting instruments, both acoustic and electric. There is a ton of great acoustic stuff out there. What do you think are the best? When I think acoustic rock I think of Neil Young, some Beatles, Zeppelin, Dylan, the list is practically endless. Some of my favorites include Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd That's The Way, Rain Song, Over the Hills and Far Away - Zeppelin Yesterday, Rocky Raccoon - Beatles Behind Blue Eyes - The Who Black Water - Doobie Brothers Old Man, Needle and the Damage Done - Neil Young and also many of the Unplugged recordings popularized over the past couple decades. Alice in Chains, Clapton, and Nirvana are few that come to mind that really stand out. In fact, I never really cared much for Nirvana and then saw the Unplugged stuff, which changed my opinion. Both AIC and Nirvana are known for being "in your face" loud, but by doing acoustic versions of their songs, show the music for what it is -- great songwriting that doesn't require distorted guitars, effects, and stacks of amplifiers, bone crunching ryhthym sections. Hearing the acoustic version of The Rooster, or the acoustic arrangement of Layla, I just want more. Makes me wonder "what could be". Acoustic Metallica sounds like an oxymoron. Could Steven Tyler and the boys pull off an acoustic set? I also love it when great live bands take an acoustic detour during their sets, as evidenced here in a great live clip from Zeppelin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWPkgtaOTw and then this acoustic version of Pride and Joy, on the 12-string, which makes my eyes water every time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZkLVinwR4E One thing seems clear to me...acoustic versions of songs originally electric often work well, while the opposite just doesn't. All Along the Watchtower is an exception. Prove me otherwise. Diversity makes the world go 'round. I'm just a jazz guitar hack in a rock and roll world.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Time of your life - Green Day
    first half of Stairway to Heaven, c'mon, it still counts!
    Landslide - Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham (live version)
    Jose Felicianno - Light My Fire - this dude can rock the 12-string!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

Racing in the Street - Bruce
    Point Blank - Bruce

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from exitseven. Show exitseven's posts

Yes it is- The Beatles
    In My Room- The Beach Boys
    Fire And Rain- James Taylor
    Slow Dancing- Johnny Rivers
    Haymaking Time- City Boy

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Some really good posts, Gang! Nice job! A few more..

Melissa - Allmann Brothers
    My Maria - BD Stevenson
    Please Come to Boston - Dave Logins
    Give a Little Bit - Supertramp
    Show me the Way - Peter Frampton

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigguy45. Show bigguy45's posts

Hide Your Love Away- The Beatles
    Redemption Song-Bob Marley

Sections
Shortcuts