80s:  Lyres
    90s:  Morphine
    00s/10s:  Muck and the Mires

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Best Boston band through the decades

Have no idea about any of them

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

The Remains almost made it big.  Their first and only album was fantastic, then they broke up.  They opened for the Beatles on their 1966 tour.  Their last single, Don't Look Back, is pretty well-known.  A documentary was made about them a few years ago called "America's Lost Band" that's worth seeing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Loved the Lyres. some consider the Pixies a Boston band. If so they would have to be on my list..I was always fond of Scruffy The Cat too..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Buffalo Tom
    Belly
    Tribe (I lucked out and someone along the way gave me a copy of "Abort" a few years after it was released, and I killed that CD  -- fantastic band)

All good reasons to love the 1990s

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ditto on Morphine.  Stellar.

Pixies.  'nuff said.

Del Fuegos.  So good.

Modern Lovers / Jonathan Richman.

Ditto on The Remains - shoulda-been-huge garage band.

Mission Of Burma.

Bosstones.

*** And btw, the short-lived nature of some of Boston's most accomplished - including many of those above - makes me wonder... 

What is is about Boston that implodes so many promising acts before their time...??  ***

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I almost picked J Richman for my 70s band, but think John Felice and the Real Kids were just fantastic, also should have made it but perhaps self-medicating took too great a toll.

Burma also great, done in by tinnitus, sadly.

Reminds of when Burma played here (London) about 10 years ago, after they reformed.  I was with a few friends all of whom were from Boston as I am, plus my then girlfriend (English) that had lived there, as well as Rick Harte whom I have known for years and another friend that came over with Rick for the gig.

I noticed a guy standing on his own, looking around, with long greasy hair, thick eyeglasses and a checked jacket and said to my gf "Wow, does that guy look like the stereotype of a rock journalist, or what" and we laughed.

Not a minute later he came over to us and said to me "Hi, I'm a rock journalist from Boston, can you tell me why there are so many people here to see a Boston band from the 80s?"  I replied "Well, I'm from Boston, she used to live in Boston, he's from Boston, he flew over from Boston for the gig, and that's Rick Harte."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades:
    [QUOTE]Ditto on Morphine.  Stellar. Pixies.  'nuff said. Del Fuegos.  So good. Modern Lovers / Jonathan Richman. Ditto on The Remains - shoulda-been-huge garage band. Mission Of Burma. Bosstones. *** And btw, the short-lived nature of some of Boston's most accomplished - including many of those above - makes me wonder...  What is is about Boston that implodes so many promising acts before their time...??  ***
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Good question -- but is it just Boston?  

Also, maybe we underestimate how many of the musicians from some of the bands we know (or knew) are still connected to music in some way, maybe in a more informal sense, and the way one would be as they (gulp) grow into adulthood and take on an adult life, with you know, kids, spouse, house .. and all that mundania.  

Then there are people like Evan Dando (Lemonheads, never liked them) who has been managing to stay in the music business one way or another -- stays high profile enough to hear about him occasionally, but depending on the definition of "making it" -- has he?  The rest of the time he's flying under the radar, but still making a living (when not on drugs?) in music.   And there's another one you read about all the time, Dan Zanes, from the original Del Fuegos, who made a bunch of children's recordings, if I'm not mistaken.   

JE and Greg could speak about this from experience, but I think that after a certain number of years -- and maybe not making it big enough to make a living -- you get realistic enough to know that if you want to play in a band, you'll always be a local band, have fun with it, and accept it for what it is -- doing it for love, not money.  :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]  JE and Greg could speak about this from experience, but I think that after a certain number of years -- and maybe not making it big enough to make a living -- you get realistic enough to know that if you want to play in a band, you'll always be a local band, have fun with it, and accept it for what it is -- doing it for love, not money.  :P
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, as well as the notion that it's hardly unique to Boston.

But to extend the metaphor slightly, perhaps that's why WE prefer to champion those smaller-but-passionate connections to the music scene - for love, not commercial success...

...which is way cooler in any case....   :P

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I forgot all about Burma.. Awesome.. Also into Morphine..can't forget western Mass contribution the Pajama Slave Dancers either..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I forgot all about Burma.. Awesome.. Also into Morphine..can't forget western Mass contribution the Pajama Slave Dancers either..
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

I used to love the PSD!  I went to UMass and saw them all the time.  Also used to love the Malarians....singer Mal Thursday has a great podcast on the Garage Punk Hideout if anyone is interested:  http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/malthursday .

In fact if you're interested in Garage Punk there are a lot of great podcasts and other things on the Hideout.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

leaf - is that an Oblivians t-shirt I see in your avatar?  One of my favourite bands.  Saw Jack with Harlan T. Bobo and Limes last year, one of the top gigs of 2011 for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades : I agree with this, as well as the notion that it's hardly unique to Boston. But to extend the metaphor slightly, perhaps that's why WE prefer to champion those smaller-but-passionate connections to the music scene - for love, not commercial success... ...which is way cooler in any case....   :P

Of course it is (if only for us). 

The legacy some of the bands have left behind, that's quite an accomplishment in itself.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

No Boston band that has lasted any amount of time does it for me as much as J.Geils.

I love Boston, The Pixies and the Cars ....but when  you say "through the decades"....Boston is mainly 70's, the Cars are mainly 80's and the Pixies are 90's.

Aerosmith should have quit after "Live Bootleg." Their 80's and after stuff is not anywhere near as good as their 70's hits.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]Loved the Lyres. some consider the Pixies a Boston band. If so they would have to be on my list..I was always fond of Scruffy The Cat too..
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]
    Scruffy the Cat is one of my favorites from the 80s.  Most of my favorites were from that decade as I moved away in 1990.  Here are a few bands that haven't been mentioned yet that still get regular play on my iPod:

Barrence Whitfield and the Savages
    The Blackjacks
    Classic Ruins
    Dogmatics
    The Rings
    Treat Her Right

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Dogmatics another favourite of mine - not just from Boston, from anywhere.  Done in by a motorcycle crash.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

For the 50's, I present the G-Clefs, with their hit song "Ka-Ding-D0ng" featuring Freddy Cannon (of "Palisades Park" fame) on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5momj5aOw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD175B3DFFC2E690B

"Palisades Park" written by Chuck Barris, performed by Freddy Cannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLCvpgPD_s

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Buffalo Tom Belly Tribe (I lucked out and someone along the way gave me a copy of "Abort" a few years after it was released, and I killed that CD  -- fantastic band) All good reasons to love the 1990s
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    Really dig Buffalo Tom. "Big Red Letter Day" is one of my staples.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]Ditto on Morphine.  Stellar. Pixies.  'nuff said. Del Fuegos.  So good. Modern Lovers / Jonathan Richman. Ditto on The Remains - shoulda-been-huge garage band. Mission Of Burma. Bosstones. *** And btw, the short-lived nature of some of Boston's most accomplished - including many of those above - makes me wonder...  What is is about Boston that implodes so many promising acts before their time...??  ***

Spot on, Matty.  All of these Boston bands were terrific.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Good lists, but I will say that the body of work and singular impact this one band had in the 70's easily puts them at the top of the list.

Aerosmith.

Personally, some credit has to go to NY has Joey Kramer is a fellow Bronxite and Tyler is originally from Yonkers, NY. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

[QUOTE]leaf - is that an Oblivians t-shirt I see in your avatar?  One of my favourite bands.  Saw Jack with Harlan T. Bobo and Limes last year, one of the top gigs of 2011 for me.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Yes that is the late great Jay Reatard and he is wearing an Oblivians t-shirt. I hear rumor they are getting back together to do a mini tour. Hope they come here. Love the Oblivians. Are you into Reigning Sound?

and also PSD shows were legendary.. They liked to be bood and all. Great fun