Best Boston band through the decades

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Best Boston band through the decades

In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades:
    [QUOTE]Who remembers, The Stompers?
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I do...!  My brother bequeathed a couple of bootleg cassettes to me.

Good call.

How about the perennial jokesters, The Fools...??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Barrence Whitfield & the Savages (previously mentioned) put on some high energy shows back in the 80's... Ditto on the Dogmatics as local favorites

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades : I do...!  My brother bequeathed a couple of bootleg cassettes to me. Good call. How about the perennial jokesters, The Fools...??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

And as luck would have it, the Stompers and the Fools are playing together on Friday, March 23 at Patriot Place in Foxboro. 

http://www.thestompers.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades : And as luck would have it, the Stompers and the Fools are playing together on Friday, March 23 at Patriot Place in Foxboro.  http://www.thestompers.com
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

Luck, indeed...!

Add to the list:

Juliana Hatfield  (had a big crush on her at one time)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Didn't know Juliana Hatfield was from Boston! On the "met anyone famous" thread, I mentioned I met her after a show in Chicago. Very much a cutie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

How about Til Tuesday and/or Aimee Mann solo. I think she is from the south shore, originally.

What about Susan Tedeschi now touring with her husband, Derek Trucks?  She can play and her family started a trusty little convenience store chain to boot. heh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]How about Til Tuesday and/or Aimee Mann solo. I think she is from the south shore, originally. What about Susan Tedeschi now touring with her husband, Derek Trucks?  She can play and her family started a trusty little convenience store chain to boot. heh
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Aimee Mann is from Virginia, went to Boston to attend Berklee where she met up with Till Tuesday folks. Great Band, even though it was short-lived. Her solo stuff is wonderful. Good call.

Tedeschi is just amazing.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades : Yes that is the late great Jay Reatard and he is wearing an Oblivians t-shirt. I hear rumor they are getting back together to do a mini tour. Hope they come here. Love the Oblivians. Are you into Reigning Sound? and also PSD shows were legendary.. They liked to be bood and all. Great fun
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

Not into Reigning Sound as much as Jack O., but to be fair I've only seen RS once.  They are touring Europe again soon so I'll try to see them again.  As with many US bands' tours, they aren't playing the UK....the money for bands is far less here than for continental European gigs so I u/s why they don't come here, but it's really frustrating.  Then again, it's a good excuse to go somewhere for the weekend!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Some bands are good little local bands and that's it.....they're around for a few years and then disband.  I love some of the reason why some bands from Boston may not have broken big....motorcycle crashes....self-medication (that's not exactly unusual)....and tinnitus (that's my favorite).  99% of local bands across the country never make it big....that's the way it is....ringing ears or no ringing ears.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

You can mock bands breaking up due to drug addiction and the death of a twin in a wreck if you want, but tinnitus?  Why is that your favourite?  An extraordinarily loud band's guitar player had to stop performing with them due to the volume.  When they reformed 20 years later - when I saw them, anyway - Miller was wearing massive headphones and the drummer was encased in plexiglass to protect his hearing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Went through the bands listed but did not see (or may have missed)

Throwing Muses (maybe not exactly from Boston, but just south)

The Atlantics ,  on the strength of "Lonely Hearts" 

New Man

Human Sexual Responce (" I licked Betty Ford's boots, she wore them all over China")

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carraway. Show carraway's posts

early 80's power pop- the atlantics....many a great show at the channel.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

...and the Zulus.  I was mad for the Zulus....then my favourite musician, Bob Mould, produced their first album. Wonderful!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]Went through the bands listed but did not see (or may have missed) Throwing Muses (maybe not exactly from Boston, but just south) The Atlantics ,  on the strength of "Lonely Hearts"  New Man Human Sexual Responce (" I licked Betty Ford's boots, she wore them all over China")
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

More great choices.  HSR was very risque - which of course I loved.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

[QUOTE]...and the Zulus.  I was mad for the Zulus....then my favourite musician, Bob Mould, produced their first album. Wonderful!
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Bob Mould is awesome..  saw some You Tube stuff of him recently geting on stage with No Age. Want to read his book soon

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't know Juliana Hatfield was from Boston! On the "met anyone famous" thread, I mentioned I met her after a show in Chicago. Very much a cutie.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

...via Maine. 

Yeah...I had a big-time crush on her BITD.  Prolific, too.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Boston band through the decades : Sorry....Aerosmith barely registers on the pretentious meter....no good.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

You mean the one that appears to be jammed up your azz...?

Little wonder then...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kshady. Show kshady's posts

Morphine. The Cars. Kay Hanley.

Done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

In contemporary times, Aerosmith offers very little quality music. Sure, they are a commercial success and have the longevity piece down. However, the music is boring and redundant. Their heyday has long since passed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Been getting back into Galaxy500 recently.. For a short time they were amazing

25. This post has been removed.