Best "Follow-up" LPs of all time.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Best

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm confused. Is this thread about great second albums period or great albums that follow great debuts? If it's the former here are a few not mentioned as of yet:

Public Image Limited - Second Edition (good but not great first album)

Wire - Chairs Missing (great first album also)

The Stooges - Fun House (3 great songs on the first album also)

Lou Reed - Transformer (okay first album)

Big Star - Radio City (great first album also)

The Breeders - Last Splash (good first album)

REM - Reckoning (great first album also)

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm confused too...and I started the thread!!!

As with all subjects here on the Music Forum, it can be about anything you want.

Be creative.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oof...now that's a great question.  I hate the "difficult 2nd album" nonsense....the reality is "25 years or so to write your first album, then 12 months to knock out another".

Off the top of my head:

• IMO, Nirvana's Nevermind by a country mile;
    • Led Zeppelin II;
    • Lyres Lyres;
    • PiL Metal Box;

But while the latter two are/were great bands IMO, they are hardly household names.  And the first was a little band, with a fairly unremarkable debut that barely made a ripple in the music world, so in a sense it disqualifies them.

So I'd have to go for Led Zeppelin II or, as I call it "Great songs plagiarised from old black guys II".   :-))

[/QUOTE]

Hey, give them more credit than that. On their first album, they plagiarized from the very white, young Jake Holmes with "Dazed and Confused". They were equal opportunity plagiarists.

I'm not a fan of the band, but it's not because they were too lazy to write their own material. Just don't like their sound very much.

[/QUOTE]

Attention devildavid:  Please stop being smarter and funnier than me, it's very annoying.  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

SonicsMonks. I used to hate Queen also, but that was because of radio songs (Another One Bites The Dust, Radio Gaga, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, etc).

When I actually listened to Queen albums from start to finish, those songs don't sound half bad. In fact, listening to music is done best by listening to albums from start to finish, as each song forms part of a whole.

That's how you don't get sick of a particlar song, as you don't listen to a particular song over and over again (no matter how great), unless ofcourse you are silly enough to listen to the same album over and over again, and nonstop.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Klaas,

I admit I don't know much more about Queen than their big hits....but if you recommend some songs I will listen and feedback....but I feel pretty certain they are on the whole pretty close to the antithesis of what I mostly like musically (simple, clean, primitive and, of course, mono  ;-))

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Hi Klaas,

I admit I don't know much more about Queen than their big hits....but if you recommend some songs I will listen and feedback....but I feel pretty certain they are on the whole pretty close to the antithesis of what I mostly like musically (simple, clean, primitive and, of course, mono  ;-))

[/QUOTE]

The first album is great...Keep Yourself Alive, Doing All Right, Modern Times Rock N Roll, Great King Rat, Liar, Son and Daughter, Jesus

'Doing All Right' and 'Jesus' are two of my favorite songs by them - they're sleepers.

I owned the first 6 albums way back but I only have the first album on CD.  I did kind of lose my taste for them over the years. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hi Klaas,

[/QUOTE]

The first album is great...Keep Yourself Alive, Doing All Right, Modern Times Rock N Roll, Great King Rat, Liar, Son and Daughter, Jesus

'Doing All Right' and 'Jesus' are two of my favorite songs by them - they're sleepers.

I owned the first 6 albums way back but I only have the first album on CD.  I did kind of lose my taste for them over the years. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't even know you anymore, Hf!   :-)

Funny joke, IMO:  in the late 80s, Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Cabal (sp?), a Spanish opera singer, collaborated on a song that ended up as the theme song for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics entitled, I think, "Barcelona".  To me, operatic shiiit at its narcissistic worst magnified by the presence of the most operatic (aarrggh) "Rock" singer ever.  But as much as I loathe their horrible song, I think it was almost perfect for its intended audience.  {point approaching, stand by}

Know the song?  It's horrible:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHRd0R-uKHc...but if you have the patience to wait for the (I think) very funny joke (I did not write) go to around 5:10....the climax: "Barrcelloonnnnaaaa".

The brilliant joke, that has allegedly stopped some cities for bidding (i.e. wasting tax payers' money) is that "if you take that word/note, apply it to your city, and can sing it without laughing, bid.  If you laugh, don't":

• Lossss Angellless - Yep
    • Neewww Yorrrkkk - Yep
    • Clevelahanand - D'oh!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, Sonics, I think I know the perfect Christmas gift for you now: The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

REM's Reckoning comes to mind.. Antics by Interpol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Oof...now that's a great question.  I hate the "difficult 2nd album" nonsense....the reality is "25 years or so to write your first album, then 12 months to knock out another".

Off the top of my head:

• Led Zeppelin II;
    • Lyres Lyres;
    • PiL Metal Box;

But while the latter two are/were great bands IMO, they are hardly household names.  And the first was a little band, with a fairly unremarkable debut that barely made a ripple in the music world, so in a sense it disqualifies them.

So I'd have to go for Led Zeppelin II or, as I call it "Great songs plagiarised from old black guys II".   :-))

Hey, give them more credit than that. On their first album, they plagiarized from the very white, young Jake Holmes with "Dazed and Confused". They were equal opportunity plagiarists.

I'm not a fan of the band, but it's not because they were too lazy to write their own material. Just don't like their sound very much.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget they also 'ripped off' white, berkeley-born Anne Bredon's 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' on Blimp I

Interesting though, as they had many, many different sounds through the years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Off the top of my head:

• Led Zeppelin II;
    • Lyres Lyres;
    • PiL Metal Box;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, that was a bit gratuitous.  :-)

Still waiting to hear of a better follow-up album than "Nevermind".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll give sort of a shoutout to departed poster jesseyeric with this one, which I know he is a big fan of:

Queen II

Personally, I think Queen's first album was a fantastic debut, and I prefer it to the follow-up.  But Queen II was big and bold and left no doubt that a new powerhouse had arrived.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that - Queen II for sure. I would also add Def Leppard's High and Dry and Aerosmith's Get Your Wings

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll give sort of a shoutout to departed poster jesseyeric with this one, which I know he is a big fan of:

Queen II

Personally, I think Queen's first album was a fantastic debut, and I prefer it to the follow-up.  But Queen II was big and bold and left no doubt that a new powerhouse had arrived.

Hf....I can't believe you rate Queen....seriously.  I'm first in line to refute value judgements on art...but QUEEN!  To me, the most overrated band of all time, by far....and they embody everthing I hate in music....and I just hate them!  Less rock'n'roll than Billy Joel (impossible IMO until this moment!) but consider this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thyJOnasHVE

I always hated Queen....but felt sorry for them when this came out....sort of.

[/QUOTE]

Wow Sonic - cannot believe a music lover like yourself could be so far off base from a band as you are here. Their music changed over the years and even turned me off for a while, but to deny this band is insane. I can only name a handful of bands that I would rank higher than them. And no band on that list emerged after 1974. Thei first 5 albums are all masterpieces.

Listen to the albums, not the hits. Queen II literally changed my life. One of the most influential bands of all time. Sheer Heart Attack - amazing oiece of art. Plus - Speed Metal - Stoned Cold Crazy. Faster than Ace of Spades.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I am stunned at the love that Queen gets here and some other bands.  THe dramatics and the glam crap is not for me and never was.  Talented band, but I hated their theatrics and arrangements. Songwriting was good, musicianship good, lead vocals incredible, but they came off really gimmicky and now dated to me.

The only song I really like is One Vision. At least that one has a nasty riff on it.

Here is a really great follow up to a great debut:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/second-helping-mw0000273339

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I cannot believe for one moment that anyone has issues with Queen's theatrics or musical arrangements.

How many of you actually saw Queen live? I am guessing not too many. I would imagine you would have all seen their performance from Live Aid which has been rated as the greatest live performance by many. Nothing staged, no theatrics, just the greatest lead singer that has ever walked the face of the earth fronting three magnificent musicians. As to musical arrangements, they took the best of Progressive Rock, Hard Rock and a touch of Glam Rock and created something refreshing. Freddie Mercury is the only musician who could make an audience member who was sitting 1,000 feet away seem like they were in the first row. They even wrote a couple of decent soundtracks. Yeah - I admit, the music got a bit wishy washy, but that is usually what happens when they age. Only Lemmy and Mustaine haven't mellowed.

As to some of the other albums mentioned - Nevermind - wouldn't rate this in the top 5. Yes, of course it is a great second album. Clearly Cobain had a moment when writing this album. No fillers at all - you can see he put serious effort into it.  Bleach was one of the worst albums ever, he had to get better.  Sadly, it disappeared by the time he wrote In Utero. I am afraid we are giving him God like status when he certainly doesn't deserve it.

Get Your Wings - Aerosmith is as good a follow up album as you will ever hear. Personally, I thought the Clashes 2nd album was a magnificent follow-up as well. Anad again, High and Dry, Def Leppard's best Hard Rock album was a great follow up to their debut.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I agree jessey, Queen's musicianship can't be denied.  Say what you want, but these guys were all great players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I cannot believe for one moment that anyone has issues with Queen's theatrics or musical arrangements.

How many of you actually saw Queen live? I am guessing not too many. I would imagine you would have all seen their performance from Live Aid which has been rated as the greatest live performance by many. Nothing staged, no theatrics, just the greatest lead singer that has ever walked the face of the earth fronting three magnificent musicians. As to musical arrangements, they took the best of Progressive Rock, Hard Rock and a touch of Glam Rock and created something refreshing. Freddie Mercury is the only musician who could make an audience member who was sitting 1,000 feet away seem like they were in the first row. They even wrote a couple of decent soundtracks. Yeah - I admit, the music got a bit wishy washy, but that is usually what happens when they age. Only Lemmy and Mustaine haven't mellowed.

As to some of the other albums mentioned - Nevermind - wouldn't rate this in the top 5. Yes, of course it is a great second album. Clearly Cobain had a moment when writing this album. No fillers at all - you can see he put serious effort into it.  Bleach was one of the worst albums ever, he had to get better.  Sadly, it disappeared by the time he wrote In Utero. I am afraid we are giving him God like status when he certainly doesn't deserve it.

Get Your Wings - Aerosmith is as good a follow up album as you will ever hear. Personally, I thought the Clashes 2nd album was a magnificent follow-up as well. Anad again, High and Dry, Def Leppard's best Hard Rock album was a great follow up to their debut.

[/QUOTE]

I certainly didn't see Queen live.   Nope.  They were very good at what they did.  I just don't think they are in any kind of a rock pantheon discussion.  Some talk about them and some other bands here as if they are gods or something.

To each his own.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I certainly didn't see Queen live.   Nope.  They were very good at what they did.  I just don't think they are in any kind of a rock pantheon discussion.  Some talk about them and some other bands here as if they are gods or something.

To each his own.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It might be a generational thing Doug.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It might be a generational thing Doug.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I think I'm part of your generation and Queen means nothing to me. For me it's a matter of style. I tend to like music that's more down home and simpler, and maybe that's what the dividing line is. Plus, I really don't like Freddy Mercury's vocals. I just don't like the sound of his voice.

Sections
Shortcuts