Best geezer shows

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Best geezer shows

I've seen hardly anything but geezers the last year or so.  Steve Earle, BTO, Tom Petty, John Cougar, Springsteen and BOC.  And they were all excellent.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just saw the Aerosmith/Cheap Trick show and both bands were amazing both musically and in their stage performance.

I will be going to see the Rascals reunion next week and I am hopeful on this one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Pogues... and X

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Absolutely agree with J.Geils.Check out NRBQ sometime too

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Jackson Browne was amazing at Newport this year, although "tearing it up" might be a stretch, especially for that venue.

Ironically or not, he is the same age as another Newport '12 performer, Charles Bradley, who is just now getting some share of accolades after a career spent mostly as a James Brown impersonator.

All of the remaining Grateful Dead members can still mount a great show (with a little help from their friends. Phil Lesh and Bob Weir are 72 and 65, respectively.

Finally, there is Neil Young.  He might look a little ragged, but he can still bring it with the best of 'em.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As for bad geezer shows I've seen in recent years, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan were disappointing.  Van's show might been better if it wasn't for the Vegas-style presentation and the constant exhortations to the crowd of 'Let's hear it for Van the Man!'

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As for bad geezer shows I've seen in recent years, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan were disappointing.  Van's show might been better if it wasn't for the Vegas-style presentation and the constant exhortations to the crowd of 'Let's hear it for Van the Man!'

[/QUOTE]

I read an article which featured a longtime Dylan fan who now attends Bob's shows with earplugs just to avoid hearing his vocals.

Sounds about right to me.  I saw him in '95, and the band rocked, but he was unintelligible.

Bob Seger a few years back was rather disappointing.  Too ballad-y for my tastes, I guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've seen Dylan a few times.  He put on one of the Best Shows Ever at the original "Harbor Lights" venue.  I saw him at the Agganis Arena a few years back and it was disappointing but because of how he was playing.  He was doing the Cowboy thing and it wasn't very good.

I don't care about his singing.  It's what his band is going that interests me.

Van Morrison is kind of like Dylan in the sense that he's going to do it the way he wants to do it, regardless.  I remember doing a version of "Moon Dance" that was very uptempo. It came across like he didn't want to play it but everyone wanted to hear it so he played it in a way that no one liked.

Steve Winwood still leaves his guitar smoking when he actually plays it.  He's a great guitarist who insists on playing the keyboard.  It's really a shame because his one of the all time greats. 

I'd rather listen to him play guitar than just about anyone.  I have the impression that if you touched his guitar after he played a song with it, it would burn your hand.  Just awesome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

DirtyWater, you just reminded me that one of the DVD's I have to get sometime is the one with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood playing live together.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Definitely Springsteen. Unbelievable to me that he's 62. Still performs like he's 25.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If you're interested,I posted a link to a very rare J. Geils song on the Boston holiday music thread.The song isn't on any album and was only played once on WBCN in 1980.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"A carton of milk was 25 cents, a hamburger was 50 cents, a ticket to the Rolling Stones was" ... and then he stopped himself and said, "I'm not going to go there."  

I saw a review of the first show in the USA of the Stones'  "50 and Counting" tour yesterday, in the NYT, as they performed in Brooklyn as their first stop; the review is in the Globe today as well.   It was also their first stateside gig in 6 years; they played for 2 hours and 20 minutes.   They also had three guest spots, one of which for you blues fans, was Gary Clark, Jr.  

Very decent review, whether you want to call the concert "nostalgia" or "geezer", take your pick; even if you have no desire to see them live ever again, it sounds like they're bringin' it to the fans that are in attendance.   

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2012/12/10/stones-still-rolling/mopuJG3mNOORWsWlvGusDM/story.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

DirtyWater, you just reminded me that one of the DVD's I have to get sometime is the one with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood playing live together.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the DVD, but the CD from this collaboration is outstanding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

FYI - The Rascals reunion was f'n amazing. Felix and Eddie were in great voice. Gene and Dino id their things and the inter-active show created by Little Stevie realy put the Rascals carerr into perspective.

(Young) Rascals - American Rock and Roll Royalty.

if they take the show outside of NY and you have a chance to catch it, by all means, do so. It is well worth it.

Sections
Shortcuts