Best of 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Best of 2010

fantastic list, i have most but will check out the rest most definitely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the only one i can add is Sufjan Stevens - the Age of Adz

also come around sundown by kings of leon was above average

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Believe it or not, I don't think I bought a CD all year that was released in 2010.

My collection is so large and my time has become more limited, I hardly have time to listen to my old favorites as much as I used to.

No doubt a sign of old age.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Best of 2010:
    Believe it or not, I don't think I bought a CD all year that was released in 2010. My collection is so large and my time has become more limited, I hardly have time to listen to my old favorites as much as I used to. No doubt a sign of old age.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Sadly, I must concur with my buddy Zilla on this. But the Neil Young disc is on the list for as soon as I return to NYC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Best of 2010 : Sadly, I must concur with my buddy Zilla on this. But the Neil Young disc is on the list for as soon as I return to NYC.
    Posted by jesseyeric

It is never wrong to agree with me.

I am assuming the sad part is that you haven't as much time to listen to new music as you once did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You are correct in your assumption Zilla.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't own anything released in 2010 but I did at least get two albums released in the last decade for Christmas-Everybody Loves a Happy Ending by Tears for Fears, and Townes by Steve Earle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

OK...so it seems I might have a bit of a music obsession.  Can't help it...I'm just hard-wired that way. 

But as far as this thread goes, I would certainly be interested in what music people purchased this year - even if not released in 2010 or in album form.

Last thought for the year: dig deep, my friends...the good stuff (a lot of it) is out there... you just gotta look closer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The only disc I bought that was actually released in 2010 was "Come Around Sundown" by Kings of Leon. It's excellent. I want to get "God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise" by Ray Lamontagne and Band of Horses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i just checked my purchased folder on itunes and since 1/1/10 i have purchased 101 songs, beginning with
    Alexi Murdoch's - All My Days 
    and sending with
    The Jam's = Town Called Malice

with all kinds of stuff in between

regina spekter - 2 different duets and maybe 3 other cuts would lead the bunch
    avnet brothers
    original broadcast soundtrack to memphis the musical
    patti smith - redondo beach

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just looked at the 2010 best-of list from my local rock station and it was heavily represented by Slash's album and Santana's Guitar Heaven Album.  Those are a couple of albums I might pick up.  I'm still an electric guitar freak after all these years. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

OK...so it seems I might have a bit of a music obsession.  Can't help it...I'm just hard-wired that way.  But as far as this thread goes, I would certainly be interested in what music people purchased this year - even if not released in 2010 or in album form. Last thought for the year: dig deep, my friends...the good stuff (a lot of it) is out there... you just gotta look closer.
    posted by MattyScornD

Ok. 
    I did not get my education in a lucrative profession, so finances prohibit going too wild on music purchases.   However, I do listen to as much current music as I can,  because it's fun and to continue learning.

So here are my most recent purchases:

The BluePrint3  ---  Jay-Z
    Wintersong      ---  Sarah MacLachlan
    Wind That Shakes the Barley ----  Loreena McKennitt  (released late 2010)
    The Visit   --- Loreena McKennitt    (to fill in my collection, one of her older releases)

(McKennitt is a native of Canada (like MacLachlan), but I thought she was from Scotland when I first got interested in her music a while back).

I was going to ask Matty to repost the Guster CD, so thanks.  That might be next. 

Smile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Best of 2010 : Ok.  I did not get my education in a lucrative profession, so finances prohibit going too wild on music purchases.   However, I do listen to as much current music as I can,  because it's fun and to continue learning. So here are my most recent purchases: The BluePrint3  ---  Jay-Z Wintersong      ---  Sarah MacLachlan Wind That Shakes the Barley ----  Loreena McKennitt  (released late 2010) The Visit   --- Loreena McKennitt    (to fill in my collection, one of her older releases) (McKennitt is a native of Canada (like MacLachlan), but I thought she was from Scotland when I first got interested in her music a while back). I was going to ask Matty to repost the Guster CD, so thanks.  That might be next.   
    Posted by yogafriend

I concur with your first point, which is why I scour for sales and buy used whenever possible - a certain local, "wicked good" retailer is great for this.  Plus, it's nice to have friends with similar tastes.  :^))

Thanks for the props to my fellow Nova Scotians - I'm also big fan of Ashley MacIsaac (a distant cousin of Jack White...!) and Natalie MacMaster.  Maritime fiddle music always makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

big boi - sir lucius left foot, son of chico dusty (i think)

a surprisingly great album.

a really, really good (super smart) rapper is childish gambino...he is an actor on community and formerly a writer on 30 rock. donald glover is his real name. rose to fame via his internet comedy troupe derrick comedy. came out with a full length this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Best of 2010 : I concur with your first point, which is why I scour for sales and buy used whenever possible - a certain local, "wicked good" retailer is great for this.  Plus, it's nice to have friends with similar tastes.  :^)) Thanks for the props to my fellow Nova Scotians - I'm also big fan of Ashley MacIsaac (a distant cousin of Jack White...!) and Natalie MacMaster.  Maritime fiddle music always makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
    Posted by MattyScornD

You're from Nova Scotia?  Cool.  I've lived in Halifax my whole life. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Best of 2010 : You're from Nova Scotia?  Cool.  I've lived in Halifax my whole life. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Liverpool area - same as my dad's side.  Moved to Boston area as a babe (after a short stint in ON).  But them's my roots up (down) there....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - being that I am an old man with little time for searching out new music and knowing that my tastes run from NY Dolls - Bowie (70's era) - Zep - Queen - Aerosmith - Guns, etc.

Give me the names of a couple of bands that I should check out. I know it is lazy on my part, but what can I tell you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Matty - being that I am an old man with little time for searching out new music and knowing that my tastes run from NY Dolls - Bowie (70's era) - Zep - Queen - Aerosmith - Guns, etc. Give me the names of a couple of bands that I should check out. I know it is lazy on my part, but what can I tell you.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Ah, jessey...where to begin...?  Please don't get me wrong.  I'm flattered you would ask me, but that's a lot of ground to cover seeing as your most recent example came out nearly 25 years ago.  Some guidance would be nice....

But as always, I'm here to help.  My favorite bands of the last 20 years include the likes of Pixies, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam and some of their predecessors as well as more roots-rock types like Ben Harper, Black Crowes, White Stripes and My Morning Jacket plus other indie bands that are harder to classify.

Re: glam rock - you could do worse than Arcade Fire - a bit trendy but still good; add Franz Ferdinand, maybe The Strokes for NYC cred; Modest Mouse are a great, very consistent indie band with progressive leanings as are Spoon, Wilco, and Built To Spill.  Wolf Parade, Iron & Wine, Band Of Horses and Kings Of Leon are a bit more straightforward indie rock.

Where I hit a wall is with hard rock - very little good, capital-R, Rock music out there that I've heard, except maybe the new AIC, Velvet Revolver, Slash, etc. or post-grungers like Linkin Park, Incubus, or Fuel.   Also, Them Crooked Vultures is an outstanding hard rock disc featuring Dave Grohl, Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age (also good) and THE John Paul Jones - a must for ANY Zep fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Actually, I meant over the last 3 years or so. Thanks for the other listings but I have them pretty much covered.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Actually, I meant over the last 3 years or so. Thanks for the other listings but I have them pretty much covered.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (come on feel the illinoise)

best complete album i have heard in recent memory, definitely in my top 5 albums of all time. changed the way i listened to, interpreted and, more importantly, composed music. simply phenomenal. self taught in i think 19 different instruments and plays them all on the album. sweeping melodies and crescendos and just some of the plain best instrumentation i've ever heard.

i have a feeling it's right up your alley.

each track is about a different historical event or part of the history of the state of illinois.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

OK, (sorry to be so verbose) in that case, here are my top albums of the last 3 years:

2010: Black Keys - "Brothers"
    2009: Them Crooked Vultures - "Them Crooked Vultures"
    2008: Tie: TV On The Radio - "Dear Science" / MGMT - "Oracular Spectacular"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Best of 2010 : Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (come on feel the illinoise) best complete album i have heard in recent memory, definitely in my top 5 albums of all time. changed the way i listened to, interpreted and, more importantly, composed music. simply phenomenal. self taught in i think 19 different instruments and plays them all on the album. sweeping melodies and crescendos and just some of the plain best instrumentation i've ever heard. i have a feeling it's right up your alley. each track is about a different historical event or part of the history of the state of illinois.
    Posted by phsmith8

Excellent choice, ph. 

For some folks I know, it was their best of the decade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thanks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

From last year I thought the cream of the crop were :
    Les Savy Fav- Root for Ruin
    Mumford & Sons-Sigh no More,
    Two Door Cinema Club- Tourist History
    Deerhunter-Halcyon Digest
    Caribou - Swim

& Matty did you leave out the Shins and Death Cab on purpose or was it an oversight?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

From last year I thought the cream of the crop were : Les Savy Fav- Root for Ruin Mumford & Sons-Sigh no More, Two Door Cinema Club- Tourist History Deerhunter-Halcyon Digest Caribou - Swim & Matty did you leave out the Shins and Death Cab on purpose or was it an oversight?
    Posted by jkjband

Not on purpose...just trying to be concise and (albeit poorly) match up jessey's preferences, though Broken Bells was one of my faves last year.  Oh, Inverted World and Transatlanticism would indeed otherwise make my cut for the past decade (as would The Avett Bros., Cold War Kids, Decemberists, et al.)  But you're right...either group should naturally appeal to a die-hard Beatles fan.

(Haven't heard enough of Deerhunter, but I've liked what I heard...thanks for the tip.)

Sounds like we need a separate indie/alt-rock thread....

Sections
Shortcuts