Best Overall Career: Madonna, Barbara Streisand or Judy Garland

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Best Overall Career: Madonna, Barbara Streisand or Judy Garland

We're talkin' overall:  music, movies, whatever else in entertainment.  My subjective opinion:  1. Garland  2. Streisand  3. Madonna.  Streisand and Garland , great singers.  Garland, a very good actress.  The other two, not to shabby in the movies.  Madonna very good singer, great theatrics while singing.  Feel free to include other ladies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Best Overall Career: Madonna, Barbara Streisand or Judy Garland

You lost me at Madonna.....................

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

You might want to add Julie Andrews and Dolly Parton to that list.

"Another day closer to the parade"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

No matter if you like Madonna or not (and I can take her or leave her) I feel she had the biggest impact in popular music over the others listed here. Although Madonna has been in some movies, she never aspired to be an actress as much as Streisand, Garland and Cher. 

I think Slim is right about the premature end of Garland's career, so it's hard to list her at the top. But the question is overall talent. These placements are by the slimmest of margins. 

Streisand

Madonna

Garland

Cher

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're driving at with these three choices.  :(    They're not even contemporaries of one another, nor did they derive their fame in similar ways.   That isn't said to diminish any one of the three, by any means.    

How can you put Judy Garland's "Wizard of OZ" Dorothy role in the same category as anything Madonna has ever done in the way of cinematic achievement (cough)?   If Madonna was ever received with so much as a tepid reception, that's being generous.  She was a radical force in pop music in her day, where she made her mark, but she's no actress, whereas Judy Garland was a movie star.    I think of Judy Garland as having a legendary tragic life as well.   There's a whole backdrop to her tragic life that blows the other two out of the water, not to mention her untimely death.  

Streisand is the only one to have won an Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy (numerous) award, for what it's worth.    She's also been a writer, director, and producer.   Again, FWIW.   Not fond of her voice, but more than willing to give her props for her career accomplishments.    She's still adored.   

MrMojo's addition of Julie Andrews is inspired, and then perhaps Angela Lansbury, and many others of that generation.   Rosemary Clooney?  What about Bette Midler (ugh)?   Not sure I have much to add to this discussion.    =)

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

How about Deborah Harry?

Fronted a very popular New Wave band.

Had a moderately successful solo career.

Acted in movies ( none that you want to see, however).

Acted on T.V. , nothing notable.

But, before all this , she was a Playboy Bunny....let's see the others top that!

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're driving at with these three choices.  :(    They're not even contemporaries of one another, nor did they derive their fame in similar ways.   That isn't said to diminish any one of the three, by any means.    

How can you put Judy Garland's "Wizard of OZ" Dorothy role in the same category as anything Madonna has ever done in the way of cinematic achievement (cough)?   If Madonna was ever received with so much as a tepid reception, that's being generous.  She was a radical force in pop music in her day, where she made her mark, but she's no actress, whereas Judy Garland was a movie star.    I think of Judy Garland as having a legendary tragic life as well.   There's a whole backdrop to her tragic life that blows the other two out of the water, not to mention her untimely death.  

Streisand is the only one to have won an Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy (numerous) award, for what it's worth.    She's also been a writer, director, and producer.   Again, FWIW.   Not fond of her voice, but more than willing to give her props for her career accomplishments.    She's still adored.   

MrMojo's addition of Julie Andrews is inspired, and then perhaps Angela Lansbury, and many others of that generation.   Rosemary Clooney?  What about Bette Midler (ugh)?   Not sure I have much to add to this discussion.    =)

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

Not that I really know much about any of their careers, my gut tells me as well that Judy Garland blows them out of the water. For me, her original "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" still surpasses all the covers of that song that may have more vocal gymnastics, but never any more feeling. She truly was an awesome talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

How about Deborah Harry?

Fronted a very popular New Wave band.

Had a moderately successful solo career.

Acted in movies ( none that you want to see, however).

Acted on T.V. , nothing notable.

But, before all this , she was a Playboy Bunny....let's see the others top that!

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

She was good in the movie "Videodrome" Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qul-rDvU9QI

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Wow!  All of the posts are really good and bring many good insights !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

You lost me at Madonna.....................

I wanted to bring somebody into the comparisons that was at least leaning towards the present.  I couldn't think of a present day artist (female) that can sing and act well.  Also, stand up comedy or any other form of entertainment could be considered into the "overall aspect".  Maybe there is a present day entertainer that can do more than one thing well that I don't know of.

Sections
Shortcuts