Best Punk Rock Bands: RS reader poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Best Punk Rock Bands: RS reader poll

In Response to Re: Best Punk Rock Bands: RS reader poll:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Punk Rock Bands: RS reader poll : punk is the attitude, really. the thing is, a lot of "punk" bands very much draw from reggae influences.  the whole start-a-revolution mentality is taken right from reggae.  punk and ska bands intertwine their playing often within the same song.  Do it's not so much making money off it, it's how you live your life regardless of if it makes a living for you in the long run.  once the attitude of the songs change, the sound changes, and the music loses what made original fans be into it in the first place.  now, whether it's worth it to gain more new fans and lose the old ones to make money?  it depends if you love the music you're making and still believe in what you preach...from a punk standpoint, at least.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Okay, I see what you're saying, and I buy it, and the clip was a good example.  So the idea is to stay pure, otherwise, you're done in the eyes of who?  Your fans?  Yourself?  Fine, if that's what you really believe.  But if you have to do that be a genuine punk rocker, then where does that leave all the punk rockers who take a different path?  I thought we discussed selling out and what a passe concept that was.  :)

As far as the ska / reggae connection, that's interesting.  I've seen some punk bands referred to as ska punk, and quite frankly, had no idea how that was derived.  Thanks.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

There is some weird logic going here about punk. If punk were truly what everyone says it is, none of us would even know about it. A self-destructive art form? Please, I don't buy it. Punk was as much a marketing tool as any other kind of popular music. Once a punk band is publicly marketed it has already violated the "pure" punk ethic. Once an artist is known by the public and makes any amount of money from their music the purity is gone. Starving artists either die or get a day job. Artistic purity is a complete myth, IMO. Someone wanted to make money off it. Or at least get laid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]There is some weird logic going here about punk. If punk were truly what everyone says it is, none of us would even know about it. A self-destructive art form? Please, I don't buy it. Punk was as much a marketing tool as any other kind of popular music. Once a punk band is publicly marketed it has already violated the "pure" punk ethic. Once an artist is known by the public and makes any amount of money from their music the purity is gone. Starving artists either die or get a day job. Artistic purity is a complete myth, IMO. Someone wanted to make money off it. Or at least get laid.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I tried to say this, perhaps not as directly, and it did not come across as I intended.   It's what I was driving at.  I think you said a few comments ago, DD, that perhaps that in its day, back in the 70's, groups that were on the vanguard, brought these values.  But today, with the second wave of punk music, punk rockers do not live these values.  Like the music, or don't like the music, that's up to you.  But the value system really does not have any relevance and commercial success should not be the barometer of your so-called "purity."   Thank you.  :D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

SCTV's hysterical punk parody, 'I Hate the Bloody Queen'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrkJKxRNXo&feature=related

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"punk was what we made it"
    -Minutemen

Everyone knows The Ramones should top that list

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Malcolm McLaren tried to make money off of Punk rock.

He took a style that grew ot of the New York art scene, and brought it to England to sell clothing. The music itself was never supposed to amount to anything, selling records was not the main focus, it was the style ( or lack of it) that was supposed to make McLaren rich.

You still see residual effects of the punk style in society today, orange or purple mohawks, body parts pierced all of the place, tatoos, torn bluejeans ( not just holes, massive holes). Many of our younger people do not know how much they are disciples of a style that started in the early 70's. It is a very trashy, style and the statement it makes it very, very, very anti-estalishment...to the point of making hippie styles look tame in comparison. The Punks were anti-hippie, they depised the Woodstock generation, created a nihilistic culture and embraced everything that was non-conformist. But, wait a minute, weren't the hippies non-conformists? It gets confusing, but Punks never really had direction, Hippies had direction , it's just that it was sometimes heading in the wrong direction.They did have some good ideas, the music was good, the government was bad, the Vietnam war was wrong....but they were wrong about the drugs and casual sex and communal living stuff.

While some great groups came out of Punk rock, as was stated earlier, it was never meant to be popular, it was never meant to last....it was and it has, so it failed.

Thus, 'Blank Generation' by Richard Hell and the Voidoids...describes punk perfectly....or what it was supposed to be , blank, no direction , no purpose, no popularity, no riches. It was supposed to self destruct, it never did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Punk Rock Bands: RS reader poll : Okay, I see what you're saying, and I buy it, and the clip was a good example.  So the idea is to stay pure, otherwise, you're done in the eyes of who?  Your fans?  Yourself?  Fine, if that's what you really believe.  But if you have to do that be a genuine punk rocker, then where does that leave all the punk rockers who take a different path?  I thought we discussed selling out and what a passe concept that was.  :) As far as the ska / reggae connection, that's interesting.  I've seen some punk bands referred to as ska punk, and quite frankly, had no idea how that was derived.  Thanks.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

selling out was a term that i actually first heard used about bands who called themselves "punk" but weren't "punk" any longer in the eyes of punk rock purists.  i never really heard of any other type of band selling it, besides maybe coldplay.

the bottom line is, if a band is a punk rock band, and they start getting some fans and attention, they're not going to get nearly the attention that a pop rock band or nearly any other type of band for that matter.  not having that mass appeal does not allow for a punk band to make a lot of money (compared to a successful band from other genres).

when the punk band starts changing their style, losing their edge, in order to have more mass appeal, that's when people say they sold out.  i mean, how else are they supposed to make a living? i completely understand where they are coming from, but from the punk purist's point of view, they are disgusted.

punky ph, indeed. Laughing

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One more comment on "punk" ... Just about every fan of what is/was considered "punk rock" absolutely hates/hated that term.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

For me it was the Patti Smith Band, one of the original "punk rock" bands that played at CBGBs in NY. She was an amazing poet and artist and led an intensely interesting life.

"Well I don't f*** much with the past but I f*** plenty with the future."

Also, Black Flag with Henry Rollins and Fugazi.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchmybalk. Show watchmybalk's posts

I think punk rock is a period of time 1976-'82.Disco and long rock songs were the norm.If you dyed your hair or had a piercing you were a freak to the average person.It was Van Halen vs. the Clash or metal vs. punk.People don't remember that metal never got much airplay until punk came along.Then programmers said we better give em the metal instead of this punk stuff.About the poll- Green Day is out of the time period to count.Buzzcocks,the Damned, or Stiff Little Fingers should be there.Patti Smith or the New York Dolls could be considered too. I recommend the book "Please Kill Me" a true history of punk.Forgot Dead Boys and Plasmatics on the list also....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Robo84. Show Robo84's posts

I have to agree with a lot of other folks here... how do you categorize some music and what makes a punk rock band? I don't really think Green Day is punk (although I like them), based on their ability to cross over to pop music, but the rest of the bands seem pretty solid on the list. It's almost like a band can't be too popular, or else you are not punk! There is a whole bunch of Grunge bands of the 90's (I know... another category) that I consider alternative at the time, but are they punk? 
    LloydDobler had a great addition with XTC. There's a band that didn't get enough credit, mainly due to the lack of touring. Them and another whole movement of 80's alternative music (but again... do they fit into punk?).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I think punk rock is a period of time 1976-'82.Disco and long rock songs were the norm.If you dyed your hair or had a piercing you were a freak to the average person.It was Van Halen vs. the Clash or metal vs. punk.People don't remember that metal never got much airplay until punk came along.Then programmers said we better give em the metal instead of this punk stuff.About the poll- Green Day is out of the time period to count.Buzzcocks,the Damned, or Stiff Little Fingers should be there.Patti Smith or the New York Dolls could be considered too. I recommend the book "Please Kill Me" a true history of punk.Forgot Dead Boys and Plasmatics on the list also....
    Posted by watchmybalk[/QUOTE] Nice points.  I'm not the knowledge leader around here but I have to agree with your statement about metal, b/c that remains a very obscure genre of RnR.  Most metalheads will tell you that no musician pursues his craft in heavy metal to become rich, let alone famous, very similar to the punk mentality.  At least that's what they say.   :D

Because original punk bands had their origin in the timeframe you mentioned, and because they were apparently supposed to "self destruct" (see Zilla's post, great post, BTW), the rest is in the eye or ear of the beholder.  I think it's fairly unanimous that Green Day doesn't fit anyone's definition of punk.  And for me, Social Distortion is a red herring, too.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

SCTV's hysterical punk parody, 'I Hate the Bloody Queen'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrkJKxRNXo&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrkJKxRNXo&feature=related

That's a classic Hfx! I love SCTV.

Here's another great punk parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1be2tfdATg

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I think punk rock is a period of time 1976-'82.Disco and long rock songs were the norm.If you dyed your hair or had a piercing you were a freak to the average person.It was Van Halen vs. the Clash or metal vs. punk.People don't remember that metal never got much airplay until punk came along.Then programmers said we better give em the metal instead of this punk stuff.About the poll- Green Day is out of the time period to count.Buzzcocks,the Damned, or Stiff Little Fingers should be there.Patti Smith or the New York Dolls could be considered too. I recommend the book "Please Kill Me" a true history of punk.Forgot Dead Boys and Plasmatics on the list also....
    Posted by watchmybalk[/QUOTE]

Punk Rock started in the U.K. way before 1976.

By the time Punk Rock was making headlines here in the U.S. , it was already dying out in England.

The Clash carried Punk into the 80's when many of their pals were moving in other directions.  The Clash was extremely talented, used many non-punk styles and instruments on the later LP's. By the time many of us heard of them , they really weren't punk anymore. They saw the end, and then adapted, just as Johnny Rotten did...good for them.

Some believe that Punk actually starts with the Who in the 60's , or more accuratley with the Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis in the 50's....I am of the belief that Punk has always been with us, in some way or another.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Punk Rock started in the U.K. way before 1976.

Not sure what you are talking about here, Zil. What bands in the U.K. way before 1976 were playing music that resembled what was called punk? I know in the US. there were 60's garage bands that put out a crude kind of music that can be seen to be the beginning of the punk sensibility. I'm not so sure the U.K. produced much original rock music that was not influenced by U.S. rock.

The Killer may have appeared to have had a punk attitude, but he had way too much talent for his music to be called punk. The guy could flat out sing and you could understand all the words. Plus, he sang way too many love songs to be truly called punk. Jerry Lee actually feared for his soul that he was playing the devils' music. The punks wanted to be the devil.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Velvet Underground have my vote for the original proto-punks...

...and who were still largely a rock and roll band...

...though as said, a few garage bands could also be worthy candidates.

ibid., "You Really Got Me", Link Wray, Alex Chilton, The Standells(!), etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

No Age is a "newer band" who play the punk style today.. Good stuff

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]SCTV's hysterical punk parody, 'I Hate the Bloody Queen' www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrkJKxRNXo&feature=related " /> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrkJKxRNXo&feature=related That's a classic Hfx! I love SCTV. Here's another great punk parody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1be2tfdATg
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    Love it!! SCTV was the best. Ever see their "Leave it to Beaver" skit when John Candy as the Beaver ... who accidentally shoots and kills Eddie?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Punk Rock Bands: RS reader poll : Love it!! SCTV was the best. Ever see their "Leave it to Beaver" skit when John Candy as the Beaver ... who accidentally shoots and kills Eddie?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I agree. So many great characters.. Loved Sid Dithers.. William B. William and Sammy Maudlin... 5 Neat Guys.. great stuff

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Apropos of nothing...

I read that Suicide was the first band to use the term "punk music" [borrowed from Lester Bangs] to describe themselves on show flyers and/or what little press they had at the time.

Hugely influential, to say the least...

And fwiw, The Cars recently covered their song 'Rocket USA' on their reunion album....

Sections
Shortcuts