Best Rock and Roll vocals.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Best Rock and Roll vocals.

Lights dim headphones on.  The voices that cut down to your soul.
    My top 3 :

1) Bruce Dickinson
    2) Paul Rodgers
    3) Steve Perry

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Best Rock and Roll vocals.

We sort of had this one awhile back, but it was callled Frontman.

Some of the vocalists mentioned were the obvious ones:

Daltrey, Plant, Jagger, Freddie Mercury (My favorite), Lennon, and quite a few others. Perry and Rodgers were mentioned, but you do bring in Bruce and he is an amazing vocalist. There are so many to also include. I would also add Chris Cornell and Geoff Tate of Queensryche.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm not going to argue with the inclusion of Paul Rodgers in this thread.

No flash.

No trickery.

Just the voice.

I remember paying my $20 to see The Firm way back in the day, and they put a strobe on Jimmy Page to get you to notice him . . .

But Paul just sang.

Say what you want about Radioactive . . . .

Paul carried it off.

for pure vocals, I'm not sure you can do better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jim Morrison, McCartney, Daltrey, Plant, Ian Gillan, Ray Davies, Greg Lake, Freddie Mercury, Bono, Chris Cornell.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

OZZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om24gvzWcLY&feature=related

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rock and Roll vocals.:
    Jim Morrison, McCartney, Daltrey, Plant, Ian Gillan, Ray Davies, Greg Lake, Freddie Mercury, Bono, Chris Cornell.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

This is a pretty good list, with the exception of Bono.

If he would leave his endless political rants in the green room and just sing the f*cking songs I might could get down with U2.

But he doesn't.

And I can't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I understand that, p-mike.  Personally, Bono gets on my nerves too.  But when I watched his performance on the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame concert, I had to concede, the guy has an outstanding set of pipes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd have to put Meatloaf on that list.But,.Lennon has to be the one I would say is the best vocalist.If you haven't seen this clip yet,you might want to check it out.It's from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus movie.The clip is John Lennon singing "Yer Blues" with the Dirty Mac.Great song:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=912375689786125846#

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I agree with many of those previously listed,

Mercury - best overall range
    Daltrey, Cornell - great screamers, lots of power
    McCartney - Great combination of range, power, and melody. Thinking of Oh Darling for scream/power to Hey Jude for melody (and screaming at the end).

Greg Lake had a great voice too, but when I saw ELP live in the early 90s he just couldn't cut it live. Maybe it was just an off night. Amazing dynamic range without screaming. Paul Rogers also...just a really good strong voice, no BS. He sang with Queen too, which are pretty big shoes for anyone to fill.

Never liked Steve Perry, although some earlier Journey like Walks Like a Lady is pretty damn good. But I never need to hear his solo stuff again...Oh Sherie...Oh No. He has a good strong voice, I just don't like it.

Have to add Layne Staley. Him and Cornell imo are the best of the more recent hard rock vocals.

And Jeff Buckley never got the recognition I thought he deserved. That guy had perfect pitch, or at least it sounded like he did. His contribution was limited to one record iirc. RIP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I like your list. If you have them in order, I'd put Daltry first and move Freddy Mercury behind him. The rest is OK. I'd add Meat Loaf and Justin Hayward (sp?).

EDIT: I'd take out Bono. Can't stand the sound of his voice for some reason. Just my own tastes. I can understand why others like him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

How about some love for the ladies.

1. Pat Benatar
    2. Ann Wilson
    3. Stevie Nicks
    4. Lita Ford
    5. Nancy Wilson (of Heart--OK, she doesn't do a lot of lead vocals, but I still love her voice.)
    6. Natalie Merchant (if you use a broad definintion of rock).
    7. Grace Slick
    8. Patti Russo. I included her simply because her duets with Meat Loaf are awesome IMO.
    9.Chrissy Hynde (sp?)
    10. Christine McVie.

After the top three I'm not wedded to the order but it's roughly how I'd put them.

(Seems like I'm missing someone).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

How about some love for the ladies. 1. Pat Benatar 2. Ann Wilson 3. Stevie Nicks 4. Lita Ford 5. Nancy Wilson (of Heart--OK, she doesn't do a lot of lead vocals, but I still love her voice.) 6. Natalie Merchant (if you use a broad definintion of rock). 7. Grace Slick 8. Patti Russo. I included her simply because her duets with Meat Loaf are awesome IMO. 9.Chrissy Hynde (sp?) 10. Christine McVie. After the top three I'm not wedded to the order but it's roughly how I'd put them. (Seems like I'm missing someone).
    Posted by royf19

A damn fine list.Personally.I'd have Janis Joplin in the top 3 though.A lot of people don't like her stuff,but she can really belt out a song.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rock and Roll vocals. : A damn fine list.Personally.I'd have Janis Joplin in the top 3 though.A lot of people don't like her stuff,but she can really belt out a song.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I like some of her stuff, but from a pure vocal standpoint, I don't think she's a great vocalist. But it does have a certain raw quality about it.

If we want have a broad definition to rock vocalist, we could add to the ladies: Aretha Franklin and Joni Mitchell. 

And Bonnie Tyler.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How about some love for the ladies. 1. Pat Benatar 2. Ann Wilson 3. Stevie Nicks 4. Lita Ford 5. Nancy Wilson (of Heart--OK, she doesn't do a lot of lead vocals, but I still love her voice.) 6. Natalie Merchant (if you use a broad definintion of rock). 7. Grace Slick 8. Patti Russo. I included her simply because her duets with Meat Loaf are awesome IMO. 9.Chrissy Hynde (sp?) 10. Christine McVie. After the top three I'm not wedded to the order but it's roughly how I'd put them. (Seems like I'm missing someone).
    Posted by royf19

I never bypass the ladies. Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks and Pat Benetar were tops for me. Then there is Tina Turner - she may have not had the best of voices but no woman could front a band like she could. And let's not forget Joan Jett; like anyone actually could.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Roy,you're right about Aretha and Jessey I think Tina Turner is a great addition as well.A couple of more ladies for the list.Carole King,Carly Simon and Marianne Faithfull 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by royf19

Good ones. I'm a big fan of Natalie Merchant. Underrated hottie as well. But for my money, Chrissie is the best Rock and Roller (female division) ever.

As for the guys, Roger Daltrey. Roger Daltrey. And Roger Daltrey.
    Whenever somebody asks me why Roger Daltrey, I just tell them to listen to "Love, Reign O'er Me."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Gotta throw Geddy Lee in the mix.

And I have to give a nod to one of my favorites, Peter Wolf.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

David Gilmour has always been one of my favorites. Especially Breathe, Time, and Us and Them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ok, maybe a little softer here ... but along with the broad definition and "down to your soul" ...

Sarah McLachlan
    Annie Lennox

and no question on Chrissie Hynde!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

David Gilmour has always been one of my favorites. Especially Breathe, Time, and Us and Them.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Gilmour definitely needs to be included.

And how about Brad Delp? He could belt out a tune.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Ok, maybe a little softer here ... but along with the broad definition and "down to your soul" ... Sarah McLachlan Annie Lennox and no question on Chrissie Hynde!  
    Posted by yogafriend

Annie Lennox is right up there.  A few more would be Jewel and Fiona Apple.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Peter Gabriel has one of the great voices.  Not sure why, but most of my picks come from the UK.  Another great Anglo voice is John Wetton, who did vocals for King Crimson and Uriah Heep, probably most recognized as the voice of Asia.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Brad Delp of Boston

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Brad Delp of Boston
    Posted by jesseyeric

Delp was excellent. I was shocked and saddened by his passing.

Burton Cummings of The Guess Who is worth mentioning. Always loved hearing No Sugar Tonight, which was the B-side to American Woman, probably their biggest hit.

David Clayton Thomas of Blood, Sweat and Tears also. Their second record got a Grammy for Album of the Year, beating out Abbey Road. Wow.

Coincidently, both he and Cummings are Canadian, and both had a similar "raspy" quality to their vocals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I used to love Bono.  Then I heard that 'duet' he did on that tribute to Frank Sinatra and realized the guy can't sing.   Sacrilege, I know.  But I've also studied voice and my ears aren't that bad.  He's a stylist,  and he appeals to the masses, but he's a terrible, terrible singer.  I wish I had never heard that Sinatra thing, b/c it ruined U2 for me. 

I'm not a huge Sting fan, but he's good.  Many of those guys already mentioned, esp the Canadians, are all top notch.  And Rodgers.   Always loved Greg Allman too.