Best short-lived bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Best short-lived bands

Bands that made albums, left a footprint, but did not last long.    What's short-lived?  You decide, but I'd say well under 8 years.    

Even better if they have never had a reunion.    Reunions are okay, as long as the band did not re-up and/or get back together.   

Doesn't matter if any band mates have had solo careers or joined other bands.  

You may still feel bad about a band you saw in college that vanished ...  if they never made a recording, feel free to give them an honorable mention.  =)

ALSO:  Maybe the band wasn't that great overall -- but had a great album. 

Feel free to add BEST ALBUMS of short-lived bands.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Best short-lived bands

Buffalo Springfield - April 1966 to May 1968

Creedence Clearwater Revival - 1967 to 1972

Blodwyn Pig - 1968 to 1970

Modern Lovers - 1970 to 1974

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

IMHO,Blind Faith is the best short lived band with only 1 album.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Traveling Wilbury's

Cream

Derek & the dominoes

Mad Season

Mother Love Bone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Robin Lane and the Chartbusters

New England

Aldo Nova

Rossington-Collins Band

GTR

Joy Division

Manasass ( Stephen Stills band)

Love Sculpture (Dave Edmunds)

Taste ( Rory Gallagher)

MC5

U.K.

The Bobby Fuller Four ( I Fought The Law)

But, I think the band that really fits as far as "leaving a footprint" is the Doors....they really squeezed alot of notoreity and substance in a short period from late 1966 to Morrison's death in 1971. The legend lives on....the influence is huge.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

New England

Ha...I think you are one of the few people that knows this band, which doesn't surprise me.  Some friends of mine were in a covers band and they did two songs by these guys, including a great version of "Nothing to Fear", a song that was as good and as catchy as most of the Cars' big hits. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Traveling Wilbury's

Cream

Derek & the dominoes

Mad Season

Mother Love Bone

Agreed................Travelling Willbury's, I'll also add The Firm, ASIA and Guns N Roses.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Agreed................Travelling Willbury's, I'll also add The Firm, ASIA and Guns N Roses.......

ASIA and GnR?  

ETA:

Not sure how you came up with these bands -- neither is short-lived.    They may have had different lineups over the years, but they've both had very long runs and are still on the map.   They don't fit the criteria.    Just checking in with you, Rog.  Wink 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Traveling Wilbury's

Cream

Derek & the dominoes

Mad Season

Mother Love Bone 

Nice list.  

I would have thought you'd have the Smiths on your list.     Short lived and no reunion in sight.   Big footprint to boot.   :)   Prime.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

IMHO,Blind Faith is the best short lived band with only 1 album.

And a damn fine album, too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Others posted the bands I would have posted: Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes, The Firm and the Traveling Wilburys. I wouldn't have thought of them for some reason, but I also agree with Buffalo Springfield and CCR.

And sorry, yogafriend, but I like Asia. I was in high school when Asia was formed and I enjoyed their stuff. Their songs today bring me back to my high school days. On the other hand, is it really a short-lived band. The original run produced three studio albums between '81 and '85, so in that case, they're short-lived. But they also produced nine or 10 albums since 1992 with various lineups.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Joy Division

The Screaming Blue Messiahs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

And sorry, yogafriend, but I like Asia. I was in high school when Asia was formed and I enjoyed their stuff. Their songs today bring me back to my high school days. On the other hand, is it really a short-lived band. The original run produced three studio albums between '81 and '85, so in that case, they're short-lived. But they also produced nine or 10 albums since 1992 with various lineups.

Roy, my comment / question re: ASIA had nothing to do with quality, it was in regard to how short-lived they are/were, and they aren't.     They had a short hiatus, but otherwise, have never stopped playing and are still playing to this day.  Otherwise, I have nothing against them.   :)

They don't fit the thread, that's all.   They permanently reunited, with (some) original band mates.  It's actually not easy to think up short-lived bands that left a mark; that's why I thought it was a good topic.   If we included bands that have re-formed multiple times, the thread would take on a totally different meaning.    I've edited my comment to Roger to be clear that I wasn't making a crack about the band; it was re: the life span of the band, and pertinence to the topic.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I hasten to add:

The Style Council - 1983 to 1989... Paul Weller's great second act after The Jam...(which incidentally also had its true lineup active only from '77 to '82)

Blues Project - 1965 to 1967... amazing proto-jam band from NYC (feat. Al Kooper)

The Count Five - 1964 to 1969  (e.g. "Psychotic Reaction")

The Firm - 1984 to 1986 (i.e. 'Page & Friends')

Jeff Beck Group - 1967 to 1972

A couple of great punk/hc bands:

Minutemen - 1980 to 1985

Minor Threat - 1980 to 1983

More recently:

Audioslave - 2001 to 2007

Black Country Communion - 2009 to 2013 (RIP)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Nice list.  

I would have thought you'd have the Smiths on your list.     Short lived and no reunion in sight.   Big footprint to boot.   :)   Prime.   

Yeah, good call on the Smiths. It's hard to believe they were only together for about six years. And your right, they left a pretty big footprint for others to follow.  It does not look like a reunion will happen anytime soon, too bad. I just saw Johnny Marr live, and though he played a lot of Smiths tunes, it wasn't the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yardbirds

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

Roy, my comment / question re: ASIA had nothing to do with quality, it was in regard to how short-lived they are/were, and they aren't.     They had a short hiatus, but otherwise, have never stopped playing and are still playing to this day.  Otherwise, I have nothing against them.   :)

They don't fit the thread, that's all.   They permanently reunited, with (some) original band mates.  It's actually not easy to think up short-lived bands that left a mark; that's why I thought it was a good topic.   If we included bands that have re-formed multiple times, the thread would take on a totally different meaning.    I've edited my comment to Roger to be clear that I wasn't making a crack about the band; it was re: the life span of the band, and pertinence to the topic.   

[/QUOTE]

Ah -- my mistake. I agree about them not fitting the criteria. I was thinking that they were short-lived at first because it seemed like it was a short span when you would here them on the radio. But I also knew that they were around for many years in one form or another so I figured they didn't fit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

[QUOTE]

ASIA and GnR?  

ETA:

Not sure how you came up with these bands -- neither is short-lived.    They may have had different lineups over the years, but they've both had very long runs and are still on the map.   They don't fit the criteria.    Just checking in with you, Rog.  Wink 

[/QUOTE]

Why do you hate me? Undecided

I guess I based my opinion on the original line ups of the bands....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One theme I've noted here?

Any band that Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck were in. Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

One theme I've noted here?

Any band that Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck were in. Laughing

Interesting....can I add Paul Rodgers??? Free, Bad Company, The FIRM and Queen+

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Brinsley Schwarz - 1969-1975. Here is one of their songs that received wider exposure when it was covered by a more famous New Wave performer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZ2eT_T0AI

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The Easybeats - 1964-1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSowZcvoqr4

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The Turtles - 1965-1970

Here is a Warren Zevon penned song they recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-DcGaW4CVU

- Thomas Jefferson

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Sex Pistols.

One LP, yet they are the best known Punk band of the mid 70s Punk explosion....except maybe The Clash , who were not really "short-lived" , but also weren't around as long as many people might think.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Big Brother and the Holding company

Jimi Hendrix experience

The Doors

Mamas and the Papas

Robert Johnson

Sections
Shortcuts