Jimi Hendrix experience

The Doors

Mamas and the Papas

Robert Johnson

Wow...that's a killer list.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Best short-lived bands

In response to devildavid's comment:

Brinsley Schwarz - 1969-1975. Here is one of their songs that received wider exposure when it was covered by a more famous New Wave performer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZ2eT_T0AI

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

BTW, been meaning to get back to this thread to let you know how much I liked the version you posted of "What's so Funny ... about PL+U" (one of my favorite songs of *all* time, btw); it's hard to top EC's version, sure, but this version comes darn close for me -- I like the pop sweetness somehow.    Brilliant version.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Big Brother and the Holding company

Jimi Hendrix experience

The Doors

Mamas and the Papas

Robert Johnson

Yeah, nice list.    I keep a "greatest hits" CD of the Mamas and the Papas in my car, and haven't listened to it in a while, so I took it out and put it back in rotation.   :)

It's amazing what they cranked out in the way of hits, in such a short span of time.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yardbirds

Nice one.    Another band close to the same timeframe, style and life span is The Zombies.

The reason I noticed this is because I saw that they are playing a (SOLD OUT) show in a theatre in metro-Boston on July 7th (for those that know it, it's the Regent Theatre in Arlington).     Two of the original members of the Zombies reunited, and will be playing.   Wish I'd seen the announcement sooner.   

This was part of the show preview write-up:

"Ironically enough, they only released two albums in the 60’s, but those two albums were full of amazing hits.  Their second album, Odessey & Oracle, was recorded in 1967 right before they split up, but it remains one of their greatest artistic statements.  Odessey & Oracle, and yes that is how they spelled Odessey due to the cover artist famously misspelling it, was recently ranked #80 in Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.  After The Zombies break up, Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent pursued solo careers.

They both met with huge success on the solo front, but agreed to rejoin forces after a 30 year hiatus."

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nirvana

Temple of the Dog

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

The Rutles

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In a way, the Beatles were short-lived. They recorded their first album in 1963 and their last in '69.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Was Tears For Fears a short lived band on the national scene?   Someone out there, correct me if I am wrong.  I loved that New Age music.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I don't know guys, The Yardbirds, Cream, The Doors and Jimi all had a bunch.

It's not about albums.  It's about years together.   The OP states "short-lived" to be no more than about 8 years.   Do these not fit the parameter?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

Brinsley Schwarz - 1969-1975. Here is one of their songs that received wider exposure when it was covered by a more famous New Wave performer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZ2eT_T0AI

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

BTW, been meaning to get back to this thread to let you know how much I liked the version you posted of "What's so Funny ... about PL+U" (one of my favorite songs of *all* time, btw); it's hard to top EC's version, sure, but this version comes darn close for me -- I like the pop sweetness somehow.    Brilliant version.   

Glad you like it. I'm a huge Nick Lowe fan, and the rest of the band had talent too. Guitarist Brinsley Schwarz and keyboardist Bob Andrews both went on to play with one of my favorite bands, The Rumour, who backed another of my all time favorites, Graham Parker. Both Parker and Lowe continue to this day to put out quality music. Rhythm guitarist Ian Gomm was another talented band member who co-wrote " Cruel to be Kind" with Nick Lowe. He also had a hit song "Hold On". And drummer Billy Rankin went on to perform with another of my favorite pub rock bands, Ducks Deluxe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Big Audio Dynamite

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Well, to get hypertechnical, The Doors survived in various forms for quite a while.

I believe they had a couple post-Morrison albums, and Manzerek/Kreiger were still putting on shows until rather recently. Almost went to see them at the Wilbur for curiosity's sake but changed my mind. Too late now... 

The really, I think when people think of The Doors, they think: '67-'71

Sort of like Guns n' Roses is really just '86-94, but technically the band is going with Axl the only original member.

It's kind of strange but J. Geils is still J. Geils even without J.Geils.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm glad somebody mentioned Robin Lane and the Chartbusters. Maybe it was just me being a kid, but that album simply rocked.

I would also put The Rings in this category.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Well, there was David and David who put out one really great album in the early eighties and then resumed (I think) their respective producing careers.

Then there are bands like Sublime and Blind Melon who burst on the scene only to have their lead singers die of a drug overdose. I guess Nirvana might be included in that category as well (sans drug overdose,)

And of course, The Late Greats (you Wilco fans will get the joke.)

Here's one, there was this three song EP that came out in 2007 by a group calling themselves Day for Night with a lead singer that just blew me away. I have no idea what happened to them after that but it there's been nothing since. Talk about short lived!

Anyway, check out Day for Night (and crank it up!)

https://myspace.com/dayfornightnyc1/music/song/silver-beach-20747655

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

And perhaps the most tragic of the bands short-lived due to death was the Jeff Buckley Band. What a damn shame that was.

--

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

And perhaps the most tragic of the bands short-lived due to death was the Jeff Buckley Band. What a damn shame that was.

--

Didn't know Jeff Buckley had a band -- had only known him as a solo artist.   Yes, his untimely death was a shame and a tremendous loss.   

Sections
Shortcuts