Big Star Documentary

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Big Star Documentary

Great doc about an excellent band.

Big Star is definitely one of those bands that caught lightning in a bottle and couldn't contain it for long.  They were just so influential and important, and to this day, it's hard to imagine the world of indie rock without them, much less punk and post-punk, college rock, etc.

(And if anyone thinks I might be exaggerating, listen for yourself.)

For years, I had a cassette with "#1 Record" (flawless from start to finish) on one side and "Radio City" on the other until it literally wore out.

"Thirteen" is one of the prettiest songs ever, IMO...not a single off-note or -sentiment.   "Back of a Car" is the quintessential teenage make-out tune.  They infused guitar pop with a great sense of soul and heart...classic, but not in the stereotypical classic rock sense.

(Topical these days now that one of their best successors, The Replacements, are back on the scene.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I like #1 Record and I love 3rd. I bought the CD Third/Sister Lovers and play it prett often. Something about Chilton's voice on that album. Plus they do a great over of Femme Fatale on that album.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Big Star is definitely one of those bands that caught lightning in a bottle and couldn't contain it for long.  They were just so influential and important, and to this day, it's hard to imagine the world of indie rock without them, much less punk and post-punk, college rock, etc.

For years, I had a cassette with "#1 Record" (flawless from start to finish) on one side and "Radio City" on the other until it literally wore out.

"Thirteen" is one of the prettiest songs ever, IMO...not a single off-note or -sentiment.   "Back of a Car" is the quintessential teenage make-out tune.  They infused guitar pop with a great sense of soul and heart...classic, but not in the stereotypical classic rock sense.

(Topical these days now that one of their best successors, The Replacements, are back on the scene.)

Thirteen is one of my all time favorites. It seems that Chilton (RIP) was always kind of embarrased about Big Star's "fame". It seems in every interview I read he was dismissive or refused to talk about them. He would exploit the name for a quick buck at a reunion concert but otherwise he didn't seem to have much love for the music. I read the 33 1/3 book about Radio City and he seemed to be the only one involved who doesn't like the album that much. He sort of shruggs it off in the book. He constantly points out the flaws.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Agreed.

Not a huge fan of that style of music (indie/searching for a sound and hope it works even though interesting), but their sound and influence came well before REM or the Replacements, which makes them sort of a trailblazing band. They pretty much laid the groundwork.

You look at a band like the Jayhawks or Wilco, later on, same deal.  They pretty much pulled from that. There is something to be said for it.

However, I don't get the punk thing. Their arrangements were much too melodic for that, but I appreciate them much more for their sound than their catalog.  They had the right idea.

I listen to Oh My Soul literally twice a month at minimum. It would be a killer cover choice by a band that can nail that groove.  

Anyway, well done documentary.

I concede the punk influence was a bit of a stretch...was perhaps thinking more of the garage aesthetic, e.g. early-Who and -Kinks, Pretty Things, et al.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Thirteen is one of my all time favorites. It seems that Chilton (RIP) was always kind of embarrased about Big Star's "fame". It seems in every interview I read he was dismissive or refused to talk about them. He would exploit the name for a quick buck at a reunion concert but otherwise he didn't seem to have much love for the music. I read the 33 1/3 book about Radio City and he seemed to be the only one involved who doesn't like the album that much. He sort of shruggs it off in the book. He constantly points out the flaws.

I've always found that odd as well, especially when they 're-formed' in the 90s under the auspices of some of the musicians clearly influenced by them. (for Big Star fans, The Posies are worth checking out - a direct descendant if there ever was one)

But then, I suppose it's not surprising Chilton felt a bit jaded after being so mis-handled by the record companies, eventually putting aside rock music for more experimental, arty stuff (only some of which I've heard).  Not an excuse, but more of an explanation, I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Oh My Soul still remains my favorite Big Star tune. September Gurls a close second, but who doesn't like that one?

It was bothering me for a few days, how I know that song, when I don't know much about this band.  

It came to me last night: the Bangles covered it on "Different Light" one of their better albums, IMO.  Even though some of their biggest hits were off of that album, I always liked that cover song the best.   An inspiring choice for a cover looking back on it now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Oh My Soul still remains my favorite Big Star tune. September Gurls a close second, but who doesn't like that one?

It was bothering me for a few days, how I know that song, when I don't know much about this band.  

It came to me last night: the Bangles covered it on "Different Light" one of their better albums, IMO.  Even though some of their biggest hits were off of that album, I always liked that cover song the best.   An inspiring choice for a cover looking back on it now.

On that same album they also recorded a song penned by Prince, "Manic Monday".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbHxwFxdXXc&feature=kp

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts