Black Country Communion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Black Country Communion

Has anyone given these guys a listen to yet?

Black Country Communion is an English-American rock supergroup featuring Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham, Derek Sherinian, and Joe Bonamassa.

Zilla - being the Purple fan you are, I thought you might be the one here to have given them a shot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Black Country Communion

Good stuff. 

Bonamassa is a force to be reckoned with, indeed.  Given his mastery of the blues, BCC seems like a natural extension.

I also like what I've heard of Derek Sherinian's work with Dream Theater and the short-lived Platypus.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Black Country Communion:
    hey matty, check your messages on your profile page i sent you something you might be interested in.
    Posted by phsmith8

Many thanks...need to wait until home, but I appreciate it.

Xmas came early...!  :))

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hadn't heard of them. Glenn Hughes has been involved in many projects since his brief tenure in DP. I can't keep track of them all. Not to mention that he's not exactly my favorite, I always liked Roger Glover and the way he wore that funky hat on stage.

Here's a tidbit of trivia for Deep Purple fans. Nick Simper , the original bass player of Deep Purple, was a member of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. One of England's great early rock bands famous for 'Shakin' All Over' , a classic song covered by the Who.

Simper also played along with Jon Lord in the Flower Pot Men and with Ritchie in Lord Sutch's Savages.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Black Country Communion:
    I hadn't heard of them. Glenn Hughes has been involved in many projects since his brief tenure in DP. I can't keep track of them all. Not to mention that he's not exactly my favorite, I always liked Roger Glover and the way he wore that funky hat on stage. Here's a tidbit of trivia for Deep Purple fans. Nick Simper , the original bass player of Deep Purple, was a member of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. One of England's great early rock bands famous for 'Shakin' All Over' , a classic song covered by the Who. Simper also played along with Jon Lord in the Flower Pot Men and with Ritchie in Lord Sutch's Savages.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

i think you might want to give them a chance  - you just might like what you here.

Matty- absolutely right on Bomasso

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bumping this thread because I just got introduced to Bonamassa's music and read a very good article about him in Classic Rock magazine.  Very interesting guy and a superb player, obviously.  The thing that really struck me and surprised me was that he's not just some hot new player, he has been studying this music his whole life and he has great respect for his influences and also his fans. His approach is so eclectic, drawing on the oldest roots of blues and folk music.  I will be buying some of his music soon. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Yeah, Bonamossa is one of the better blues players to come out in the last 10-15 years.  No doubt.  Nice tone, plays with feel. The songwriting aspect is a little weak, but that's not what he's about anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I've got both of their albums and while I love Bonamassa, Hughes, Bonham in their separate work... they haven't hit the sweet spot yet.

I'm going to agree with BassFishing but for the band's albums overall: the songwriting isn't great.  It's good, it's better than passable, its just not as memorable and interesting, to me, as the hype surrounding them. 

If you want the real deal, what this band is hyped to deliver, go with Gov't Mule.  Their second album Dose is, (again) to me, the pinnacle of what BCC could achieve if they were firing on all cylinders.

Anyway, I'll stick around for BCC's next album and if the trend continues then I'll move on. 

Sections
Shortcuts