Black Keys - stylish or substantial?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Black Keys - stylish or substantial?

I'm a little late to party on the Black Keys.  All I know is Brothers and El Camino.  The first song I heard, and the one that drew me in, was 'Tighten Up'.  Too catchy to resist.

Now I'm a full-fledged fan, but I'm also trying to figure them out.  Their sound is some sort of alchemical mix of blues, garage, and sweet Motown R and B.  It works like crazy.  But are they masters of form and style over substance?  That's the part I haven't quite figured out.

When I listened to El Camino the first time, as the album went on I thought, hmm, this song sounds a bit like one of the other ones.  And yet as the song went on I gave in and enjoyed.

What I'm really wondering is, where will they go from here?  Their next album should be very interesting.  Will they give the fans what they want, or will they take things in a totally unexpected direction?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Black Keys - stylish or substantial?

A little of both, it seems.

To me, it felt like Brothers was the culmination of their career to that point - and one of their most complete albums.  El Camino almost feels like a different band and yet still has some common threads from previous releases.

That aside, I don't feel one way or the other about their newfound big time-status, since I've been listening for quite some time.  I encourage folks to explore their back catalog for a better story on how they got to this point.

As for the future, a decent, more current live album is long overdue.  I hope they don't try to rush a new release for its own sake (or label demands)...and let it evolve more organically.

In any case, they were supposed to do another Blackroc hip-hop confab, so maybe that's their next thing.

Meanwhile, Dan Auerbach is keeping busy as an in-demand producer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I like them. I'm also late,  and I only have "El Camino," but I love  it, especially "Money Maker," "Sister," "Stop Stop" and "Mind Eraser."

Off the subject,  but I've  also gotten into "Alabama Shakes"  recently. ANyone else?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I like them. I'm also late,  and I only have "El Camino," but I love  it, especially "Money Maker," "Sister," "Stop Stop" and "Mind Eraser."

Off the subject,  but I've  also gotten into "Alabama Shakes"  recently. ANyone else?

YES to BOTH - Black Keys and Alabama Shakes! Although yogafreind pointed out that I was late to the party on them. They were just on SNL a week or so ago - GREAT live! IMHO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

YES to BOTH - Black Keys and Alabama Shakes! Although yogafreind pointed out that I was late to the party on them. They were just on SNL a week or so ago - GREAT live! IMHO

Yeah,  saw them on SNL and downloaded the CD  the  next day. It's excellent. Brittany's voice is incredible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

:D

Rog (put the bait out for me, huh?  hahahha): what I believe I said, and had agreement from a few others at the time,  is that the song you posted for Alabama Shakes was heavlily promoted and played last year for many months -- perhaps to the point of overkill -- because the DJ and music community put them in heavy rotation.   It was just a bit surprising that you'd never heard the song from that standpoint; then again, you find your music in your own way and time, as do I.   I'm not a fan, but they do seem authentic, and if you like them, relax and have fun.    Glad you've found another emerging band to enhance your musical life.  :)     In general, Lloyd has decent taste in music from what I have seen, so if he likes Alabama Shakes, you are in good company (even if I didn't have your back on this one.)    :)     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

:D

Rog (put the bait out for me, huh?  hahahha): what I believe I said, and had agreement from a few others at the time,  is that the song you posted for Alabama Shakes was heavlily promoted and played last year for many months -- perhaps to the point of overkill -- because the DJ and music community put them in heavy rotation.   It was just a bit surprising that you'd never heard the song from that standpoint; then again, you find your music in your own way and time, as do I.   I'm not a fan, but they do seem authentic, and if you like them, relax and have fun.    Glad you've found another emerging band to enhance your musical life.  :)     In general, Lloyd has decent taste in music from what I have seen, so if he likes Alabama Shakes, you are in good company (even if I didn't have your back on this one.)    :)     

Nah Yoga, I distinctly remember you chastising me for not knowing about Alabama Shakes earlier....   ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So Yoga, you don't like the SHakes?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Yeah,  saw them on SNL and downloaded the CD  the  next day. It's excellent. Brittany's voice is incredible.

Unironically or not, a good friend did the same after seeing them on SNL.  He seemed a little confused to know I had been playing their songs at numerous get-togethers over the past year.  In this case, seeing is believing, I guess.

I'm with yoga on this one.  After hearing the singles frequently over the past year or so, I've kinda moved on.  (WERS radio listeners voted Boys & Girls as one of their top albums of the year.)

Either way, they're a good band to know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Oh, what do I know?!  :)  

As I said, they strike me as "authentic" which is a rare quality -- and for that reason alone, I'm happy to see them succeed, even if I am not in a fan.  :)

Taking this OT ... 

Now, Lloyd, oddly enough, I recall that you and I both shared admiration for "Friday Night Lights" and mourned when it went off the air.    Am I right?   I assume one of the many reasons was b/c of Connie Britton, so I'm wondering if you've tried / been watching "Nashville" since she's starring in it.  I am not fond of the show, and feel that the critics have been kind because of their affection for Britton.   I have to say ... the music is a big reason that I have a hard time in the overall sense; Britton's main talent is not singing, and the other singers are simply meh, IMO.   I've just barely warmed up to it ... despite being a fan of Britton.    Been watching?

On another note, speaking of FNL, I *loved* the music from the show and have become a fan of Explosions in the Sky, the band that was responsible for the theme song, and all the background music.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh, what do I know?!  :)  

As I said, they strike me as "authentic" which is a rare quality -- and for that reason alone, I'm happy to see them succeed, even if I am not in a fan.  :)

Taking this OT ... 

Now, Lloyd, oddly enough, I recall that you and I both shared admiration for "Friday Night Lights" and mourned when it went off the air.    Am I right?   I assume one of the many reasons was b/c of Connie Britton, so I'm wondering if you've tried / been watching "Nashville" since she's starring in it.  I am not fond of the show, and feel that the critics have been kind because of their affection for Britton.   I have to say ... the music is a big reason that I have a hard time in the overall sense; Britton's main talent is not singing, and the other singers are simply meh, IMO.   I've just barely warmed up to it ... despite being a fan of Britton.    Been watching?

On another note, speaking of FNL, I *loved* the music from the show and have become a fan of Explosions in the Sky, the band that was responsible for the theme song, and all the background music.   

Totally in agreement on FNL/Connie/Nashville. I tried it because  of her and because the critics raved  over it, but I couldn't make it through the first episode. And yes, the music was a big part of the reason. THe tunes on FNL were very good,  even if I didn't know who many of them  were.

As for the Shakes, I admit to being late to the party, as I was on the Black Keys. I just  really like her voice,  which is unlike anyone else out there that I've  come across. SOmeone described her as the lovechild of Janis Joplin and Aretha Franklin,  which I thought was  pretty appropriate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Incidentally, The Heartless Bastards appear on one of the TV soundtrack compilations for FNL...a great song called "Sway".

Given the choice between the Bastards and the Shakes (despite their obvious differences, I'll take the former every time.  They keep it interesting and rock out, while I still can't get through the entire Shakes album in one sitting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

From todays Globe...

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The Black Keys, Sheryl Crow and Public Enemy are among the musical acts scheduled to perform at the Beale Street Music Festival in May.

The eclectic list of performers was announced Tuesday on the website for Memphis in May, the month-long tourism event that includes the three-day music festival.

Other scheduled performers include Jerry Lee Lewis, Alice in Chains, Bassnectar, The Smashing Pumpkins, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Flaming Lips, Dwight Yoakam, The Roots, The Black Crowes, Patti Smith and ZZ Top.

The music festival takes place at Tom Lee Park, which sits alongside the Mississippi River. It runs from May 3 through May 5.

Memphis in May also features the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest and the Sunset Symphony.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

.....if you have to ask, isn't the answer self-evident?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

For example:

Muddy Waters:  Style or Substance?

Justin Bieber: Style or Substance?

Etta James:  Style or Substance?

Billie Holiday: Style or Substances?

There are exceptions, of course.  I've posted before that I'd be horrified if either of my daughters wanted to be like Maradona or Beyond Sence.  To me, they are terrible role models for my daughters, for any female child.

I think Poison Ivy Rorschach is a wonderful role model for them.  Great guitar player (to this day one of the few women that's ever played guitar in a band with men), leader of the band, songwriter, producer...and it's great that she's also astonishingly attractive and sexy....it's great to be hot (I assume)....but being talented comes first....in our house.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I don't think so.  I think a lot of the stuff we talk about here falls in the grey areas, and the grey areas can be very interesting. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

For example:

Muddy Waters:  Style or Substance?

Etta James:  Style or Substance?

Ah...I hope.....      that's kidding?

I used them as examples of artists that IMO were completely and obviously 100% substance and 0% style...or as close as possible to that ideal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I don't think so.  I think a lot of the stuff we talk about here falls in the grey areas, and the grey areas can be very interesting. 

Hi hf.  I'll go further and say that it's only grey areas that are interesting i.e. who wants to debate whether or not 2 + 2 = 4?  

I didn't mean for my cryptic comment to sound flippant....but for me, it is that simple.  I'm not saying that there is an absolute standard of authenticity, nor that my opinion of what is authentic is bettter or worse than any other person's....but for me, if I had such doubts about any sort of artist it would a very strong signal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hi hf.  I'll go further and say that it's only grey areas that are interesting i.e. who wants to debate whether or not 2 + 2 = 4?  

I didn't mean for my cryptic comment to sound flippant....but for me, it is that simple.  I'm not saying that there is an absolute standard of authenticity, nor that my opinion of what is authentic is bettter or worse than any other person's....but for me, if I had such doubts about any sort of artist it would a very strong signal.

Well, I do think the El Camino album is predominantly style.  But it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

I think a band that operates in the musical realms that the Black Keys do has a huge challenge being original.  It's impossible not to be derivative.

I guess the bigger question for me is, these guys are so talented that it feels like they are capable of something even bigger.  But I'm not even sure what that something bigger would be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think a band that operates in the musical realms that the Black Keys do has a huge challenge being original.  It's impossible not to be derivative.

I guess the bigger question for me is, these guys are so talented that it feels like they are capable of something even bigger.  But I'm not even sure what that something bigger would be.

IMO, there really isn't truly "original" anything available anywhere.....maybe at the sharp end of the elemental table, but that's about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

IMO, there really isn't truly "original" anything available anywhere.....maybe at the sharp end of the elemental table, but that's about it.

Yes, agreed, there's nothing truly new anymore.  But some artists do make an attempt to be 'partially original', sometimes by mixing together different types of music in a new way.  Which is something I think the Black Keys may be doing.  I'm groping here...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Well, I do think the El Camino album is predominantly style.  But it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

Hf,

Re your first paragraph, I think it's virtually impossible not to be derivative to a large degree i.e. the world's influence on us all, a finite number of musical notes, 60+ years of rock, 100+ of Jazz, etc.  It's being able to express yourself in a "unique" way despite that influence and the common tool kit.  That's the genius, to me.

Re your second, that's interesting on several levels.  While I admit I will not go to a "musical event" with seats or in excess of 1-2k people MAX (and that's rare), I think some sorts of music work better than others in such an immense crowd. Some performers' style might translate better than others'.  Some simply don't want to do for similar reasons that I hate it, I imagine.

I think my point is that not being able to reach the masses in terms of sales, stadium gigs, being a household name, etc. isn't necessarily - or even mainly - or at all! - about talent.  But I reckon you agree with that, I'm not trying to pick your words apart!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Meh on the black keys.  I bought el camino.  listened to a few times.  

The jury is out on Alabama Shakes.  Saw them on SNL and loved them.  caught a couple of live performances on YouTube and thought they sounded good.  i bought the CD.  It's unlistenable.  One of the worst engineered albums.  Sonically, its terrible.  

there is a really nice YouTube video where you can hear how they should sound.