Blackout ID

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Blackout ID

In honor of yesterday's BDC forum blackout, I'll take a risk with the following band for you to ID:

This band was formed in the late 60's, with a career now spanning over 40 years. Are they well known?  Dozens of musicians have worked with this band; they also have a well-known sci-fi writer associated with their music.  There were many changes in band mates from the very beginning.   The band has an unusual edge due to their uniquely named genre of rock, based loosely after a genre of literature.  The addition of a (now) well-known bassist may well have been what launched this band.   Along the way, this bassist seemed to cause more trouble than the band wanted to withstand (he was jailed, among other things) and he was ultimately fired.  The bassist went on to form a new band; he used the title of the last song he wrote (for this band) for the name of his new band.  

Only one of the original founders remained as the band continued.  So many mates were sacked and replaced I wouldn't be able to list them regardless of their names being overloaded with clues.  Yet, they churned out 3 albums in 1981.  They were in Stonehenge '84.   Still recording into the 90's, they're now into ambient music, which is part of their original sound.   They attempted a reunion event in the 2000's, with a concept band.   

I may have bitten off more than I can chew here, TBH, because this band's history is pretty mixed up and crazy.   Primarily, a UK phenom, that's where they're based and have made their mark.   They did tour for their 40th anniversary in 2009, released a studio album in 2010, and toured in OZ and other festivals in 2011.  They are not extinct.  

ID this band.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Blackout ID

Hawkwind?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Blackout ID:
    [QUOTE]Hawkwind?
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Good call MattyScornD.I think you got it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Hawkwind?

Okay, nice going, Matty.  :)  (you, too, mrmojo)

I was in over my head, but didn't want to back down after I got going on Hawkwind.  I felt it was only fair to give that final clue re: the UK b/c I figured their American audience might be limited at this point.  

Dave Brock must be a real tyrant, either firing or having one musician after another quit the band.  Did the Lemmy reference seal it?  I did an ID on Lemmy not that long ago, so thought it was an interesting tie-in.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

They are an institution in the UK... and an interesting example of the kinds of music that get wide play over there but very little over here.

For anyone who is a fan of science fiction lit though, their music is incredibly dense and imaginative....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Who's the scifi writer they're associated with?

Never heard of the band before, but I'm just curious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That would be Michael Moorcock...prolific english english scifi/fantasy writer ("Hawkmoon")...

...who it's worth noting also has lyrical ties to Blue Oyster Cult....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]That would be Michael Moorcock...prolific english english scifi/fantasy writer ("Hawkmoon")... ...who it's worth noting also has lyrical ties to Blue Oyster Cult....
    Thread in the Books Forum on SciFi and SciFantasy (posts by Frodo) has this outlined, in full detail, so anyone who wants ideas, take a look or create a post there for more information.  

Zilla and Hfx are the BOC fans, but Zilla is away this week.  He probably would have known this one, but I'll have to come up with something really challenging again when he gets back.  I had so much fun with this one, quite honestly. Yeah, yeah.    :D