Blue Oyster Cult

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Blue Oyster Cult

You knew this one was coming , only you didn't know when.

Besides "Don't Fear the Reaper" the one you've heard hundreds of times, what songs, LPs or live shows can you comment about?

My favorite American band of all time, 'Astronomy' and 'The Last Days of May' are probably my favorite songs by B.O.C. 'Secret Treaties' is my favorite LP with 'Fire of Unknown Origin' a close second ( maybe a tie, actually).

This is the only Heavy Metal band from the U.S. that rivals the heavyweights from Europe, and even though most people forgot about them by 1985 or so , they have never to my knowledge , officially broke up the band. They issued a new CD a few years back , they 've lost a little of the hard edge , but they still rock pretty good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Blue Oyster Cult

Yeah, knew this was coming. After all, GodZILLA was a big song for them. Won't mention their biggest hit Don't Fear The Reaper. Probably shouldn't mention Burnin For You either. 

Then Came The Last Days Of May is my kinda song though .... super sweet. Joan Crawford is worth a listen to as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ha ha, there's my man Zilla.

This may seem incredible to some but the Cult is my second-favorite band of all time after the Beatles.  And Buck Dharma is my favorite guitarist.

I had the great fortune of seeing them live for two shows at a bar here in Halifax in 1989 (they needed the dough obviously).  And they put on a great show both nights, playing for close to two hours per show, going through all their best-known songs and throwing in a few surprises.  I still remember that for one of the shows the encore consisted of The Red and the Black and The Golden Age of Leather, which was awesome.  To me it showed a lot of class and professionalism to put on such strong shows in such a small location.  I think they are a band that really likes and respects their fans.

If there are any fans of the band who haven't seen the DVD A Long Day's Night, you really have to see it.  Buck Dharma puts on an incredible display.  It's not just hype to say that he is a better player now than he was back in the glory days of the Seventies.

I've been meaning to put up a little piece about them in the song lyrics thread and I will do that soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am going to commit a mortal sin here. Although I enjoyed their music when it came on the radio and did have the chance to see them live back in the 70's, the only album of theirs I ever bought was the live one. For whatever reason, as a whole, I never clicked with this band.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Blue Oyster Cult:
    [QUOTE]I am going to commit a mortal sin here. Although I enjoyed their music when it came on the radio and did have the chance to see them live back in the 70's, the only album of theirs I ever bought was the live one. For whatever reason, as a whole, I never clicked with this band.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Most people consider them to be better than Cheap Trick.

But yes, you're right.

You've committed a BIG sin.

They have released at least 4 live albums that I know about ( surely there are bootlegs out there)...you are speaking of "On Your Feet or On Your Knees"??? the first one?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blue Oyster Cult : Most people consider them to be better than Cheap Trick. But yes, you're right. You've committed a BIG sin. They have released at least 4 live albums that I know about ( surely there are bootlegs out there)...you are speaking of "On Your Feet or On Your Knees"??? the first one?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Some Enchanted Evening

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blue Oyster Cult : Some Enchanted Evening

Maybe that's why you never liked them much.

S.E.E. is not their best effort.

At least not from my perspective as a large reptile and a huge fan of the boys from your neck of the woods.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is the band Black Sabbath wishes it could have been.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Cult are not everybody's cup of tea.  They set out to be different from all the other hard rock bands, and they achieved that.  The fact that they were so different was probably a big part of their appeal for me.  But it cost them in terms of record sales.  And when they tried to be more commercial they put out some stuff that wasn't as good.  The only way they could make money over the years was by touring nonstop. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The popular stuff like Don't fear the reaper or Burnin' for you have been a tad over played. Listening to Sirius Radio at least they come across with some of the less played songs. At this point I'd rather Veteran of the Psychic wars, Joan Crawford or City's on Flame.
    Also, Buck Dharma is a top flight Guitarists that never the publicity of the more commercial guitar players of that time Such as Angus Young who couldn't hold Buck's guitar strap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]This is the band Black Sabbath wishes it could have been.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

No, I really don't think that's true, mike.

If Black Sabbath is not satisfied with their achievements , I would be very surprised.

Overall , I like B.O.C. more than Sabbath , but B.O.C. never made an album to rival the Sabbath debut or Heaven and Hell.

I think Black Sabbath accomplished everything and more than they ever dreamed they would. Sabbath songs are more about occult and insanity while B.O.C. are more about extraterrestrials and monsters. Similar styles , B.O.C. are a little more radio accessable, while Sabbath was just about dark, horror images and plus they had Ozzy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"Veteran Of The Psychic Wars"

Awesome riff, tailor-made for sci-fi geeks (like me) and one of the more brilliant inclusions on the Heavy Metal soundtrack and one that was actually, y'know...heavy metal. 

What was great about them is that they used large, grand themes and set them to an earth-bound, heavy beat of mystique and foreboding that was really cool.  It's no surprise that they coincided with a rise in popularity of scifi-horror-fantasy movies, books and films that continued well into the 80s.  They were smarter than given credit for, IMO.

More great B.O.C. tracks: Astronomy, E.T.I., Dominance & Submission, Stairway To The Stars, and the wonderfuly named "Cities On Flame With Rock And Roll"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blue Oyster Cult : No, I really don't think that's true, mike. If Black Sabbath is not satisfied with their achievements , I would be very surprised. Overall , I like B.O.C. more than Sabbath , but B.O.C. never made an album to rival the Sabbath debut or Heaven and Hell. I think Black Sabbath accomplished everything and more than they ever dreamed they would. Sabbath songs are more about occult and insanity while B.O.C. are more about extraterrestrials and monsters. Similar styles , B.O.C. are a little more radio accessable, while Sabbath was just about dark, horror images and plus they had Ozzy.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]       E.T.I.,  baby!  E.T.I.  I would know more Rock and Roll trivia but those little grey guys wiped part of my memory clean.  I think that song may have been on the "Agent's Of Fortune" album. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

You guys out there can disagree with me but I think this music forum is a little male dominated. I'm neutral on this point.  I'm not making any judgments good or bad. I'm a guy too.  I just think the ladies out there deserve a lot of credit for all kinds of good attributes.  Sorry I got off the topic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]       You guys out there can disagree with me but I think this music forum is a little male dominated. I'm neutral on this point.  I'm not making any judgments good or bad. I'm a guy too.  I just think the ladies out there deserve a lot of credit for all kinds of good attributes.  Sorry I got off the topic.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

The forums I frequent seem to be male dominated. Rock'n'Roll is th emain topic on the music boards and was a very male dominated style of music for many years.

I feel that as much as "male dominated"  this board is "dominated" by  a certain age group that seems to be 40 and 50  year olds. Not sure why that is, but from the opinions posted here , I get that impression.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]       You guys out there can disagree with me but I think this music forum is a little male dominated. I'm neutral on this point.  I'm not making any judgments good or bad. I'm a guy too.  I just think the ladies out there deserve a lot of credit for all kinds of good attributes.  Sorry I got off the topic.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Two things Cav Fan. Zilla really just got the ball rolling on this forum about 5 months ago and we have been picking up new recruits as time passes. We have had several ladies stop by for conversation - Yoshimi and Cosmo to name a couple. I think no one here minds a women's point of view here and in fact would welcome it. But as Zilla said, RnR has always been a male dominated scene even with such heavy weights as Janis, Tina, and many others. But I am hoping more people will join including those of the fairer persuasion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Love "Godzilla" and "With Rock and Roll" I may not have the latter's title right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

"............................. History shows again and again how Nature points up the folly of Man. Godzilla!"
            It has been and still is an important ecology song.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

One of my favorite songs, and I believe highly under-rated:

In Thee  by BOC

Great tune!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]One of my favorite songs, and I believe highly under-rated: In Thee  by BOC Great tune!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Most of their songs are under-rated because many people only know "The Reaper" and "Burnin' for You."

I like many of the album tracks that no radio station ever played including, but not limited to, "Hungry Boys", "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", "Shooting Shark", "Dancing in the Ruins", "Subhuman", "Golden Age of Leather", "RU Ready 2 Rock", and my favorites " Fire of Unknown Origin" and " Astronomy."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am going to give BOC another chance. Is there a worthwhile compliation or greatest hits disc out there to get me started again?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't know what compilations are good as I have all the studio and live LP's but my favorite Live album is the one I mentioned earlier "On Your Feet or On Your Knees" , that is a good double dose of the earlier stuff.

It is hard to imagine anyone who likes Rush, Dio , Rainbow , Judas Priest or Scorpions not liking B.O.C.

But, if those bands are not your cup of tea , then you likely won't be a fan of B.O.C. , either.

I became a headbanging metalhead when I was in my early 20's around 1978 , the first wave of classic metal was considered by many critics to be "dead" and it did suffer a lapse in popularity in the days of punk, new wave and ( yuck) disco...but it was never really dead. Sabbath came back strong with Dio out front and new bands like Iron Maiden and Whitesnake were reviving Metal along with the greatest of all Ozzie. Later Dokken and then Dio with his own band would follow.The bands like Scorpions, Rainbow, B.O.C. and Judas Priest never quit they were always out there.

I always loved the hard sound and the screaming guitars and I always thought this was the style of music that really WAS IT! This is what I have been searching for, it's really just so great.

I still feel this is the most advanced form of rock music although so many people discount it as the b@st@rd son of rock'n'roll, the thing that "should not be"...like in the sci-fi movies.

Maybe that's why I like it so much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I am going to give BOC another chance. Is there a worthwhile compliation or greatest hits disc out there to get me started again?

The best BOC compilation by far is 'Workshop of the Telescopes', 2 CD's, 32 tracks including some live tracks.  A really excellent package, Amazon has it for $16.49.

There are a lot of cheap BOC compilations out there, I saw one called 'The Essential Blue Oyster Cult' which has 14 tracks for about $8 and is a pretty good selection.  But if you want the real deal, get 'Workshop'.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know what compilations are good as I have all the studio and live LP's but my favorite Live album is the one I mentioned earlier "On Your Feet or On Your Knees" , that is a good double dose of the earlier stuff. It is hard to imagine anyone who likes Rush, Dio , Rainbow , Judas Priest or Scorpions not liking B.O.C. But, if those bands are not your cup of tea , then you likely won't be a fan of B.O.C. , either. I became a headbanging metalhead when I was in my early 20's around 1978 , the first wave of classic metal was considered by many critics to be "dead" and it did suffer a lapse in popularity in the days of punk, new wave and ( yuck) disco...but it was never really dead. Sabbath came back strong with Dio out front and new bands like Iron Maiden and Whitesnake were reviving Metal along with the greatest of all Ozzie. Later Dokken and then Dio with his own band would follow.The bands like Scorpions, Rainbow, B.O.C. and Judas Priest never quit they were always out there. I always loved the hard sound and the screaming guitars and I always thought this was the style of music that really WAS IT! This is what I have been searching for, it's really just so great. I still feel this is the most advanced form of rock music although so many people discount it as the b@st@rd son of rock'n'roll, the thing that "should not be"...like in the sci-fi movies. Maybe that's why I like it so much.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I was never a fan of Dio except when he first broke with Rainbow. And it is interesting that you mention Priest - I know the songs, legacy and image but I think I only own a couple of their records. With BOC, I think it was Burning for You that completely turned me off. I loved Godzilla and Reaper, but that song made me want to go listen Sinatra. For me, Metal was and is the original Sabbath line-up, Iron Maiden and Motorhead. I never thought Priest could touch those bands. Then there is early Metallica and Megadeth.

But I am ready to give BOC another listen. That is why I like this forum - it has reintroduced me to some music that I didn't connect with back in the day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blue Oyster Cult : To be honest, I was never a fan of Dio except when he first broke with Rainbow. And it is interesting that you mention Priest - I know the songs, legacy and image but I think I only own a couple of their records. With BOC, I think it was Burning for You that completely turned me off. I loved Godzilla and Reaper, but that song made me want to go listen Sinatra. For me, Metal was and is the original Sabbath line-up, Iron Maiden and Motorhead. I never thought Priest could touch those bands. Then there is early Metallica and Megadeth. But I am ready to give BOC another listen. That is why I like this forum - it has reintroduced me to some music that I didn't connect with back in the day.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]        I agree in part with you about Burning For You.  For the longest time I didn't know BOC did the song.  I thought maybe somebody like Steve Miller Band recorded it.  The song has a very pop sound.  It deviated from what BOC regularly sounded like over FM radio.   I like it anyway because Burning For You speaks about a real situational emotion and it's a catchy tune.  

Sections
Shortcuts