Blue Oyster Cult's 'Tyranny and Mutation' album release has 40-year anniversary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Blue Oyster Cult's 'Tyranny and Mutation' album release has 40-year anniversary

Since there are a number of forum members who are BOC fans and know the band's work intimately, I thought you'd appreciate that today, February 11th,  is the concise 40th anniversary of the release of their seminal 1973 album, "Tyranny and Mutation", an album where the band was never seen to be more cryptic with their lyrics or interpretation.  

I always like seeing BOC described as the "ultimate thinking man's metal band" -- whether that's true or not.  :)   

Here's a bit of the article I just read, and the link to the article (a fun writeup) which I strongly recommend that you read, if you're a fan:

"The second month of 1973 was a month of dire deeds and dark omens, ranging from the unanimous congressional vote establishing the Watergate Investigation Committee to the second musical tome crafted by the enigmatic Blue Oyster Cult, an album prophesying ‘Tyranny and Mutation,’ which was released on Feb. 11, 1973.

Needless to say, few bands in rock and roll history have so willingly wrapped themselves in mystery and misdirection like BOC did, to the extent that their music frequently took a backseat to their perplexing words of intrigue. Whether these were totally imagined or truly rescued from some arcane repository of planetary secrets, one can only guess. But whatever the answer, in retrospect, this approach ensured that the band’s discography possessed the qualities of conspiracy theories, only propagated in musical form, naturally."

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/blue-oyster-cult-tyranny-and-mutation/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Blue Oyster Cult's 'Tyranny and Mutation' album release has 40-year anniversary

Being a lover of conspiracy theories, I guess kind of sums up why I like BOC so much. Also I do consider myself a thinking man.

Sorry I have not been available. Blizzard, power outage, no heat...all leading to a family medical emergency which has been a living nightmare. I see there are a number of conversations I would like to have participated in, it's likely I will still be tied up for a while...things are getting better, but as the Deep Purple song goes ...it's a hard road.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Blue Oyster Cult's 'Tyranny and Mutation' album release has 40-year anniversary

When I saw them here in November the first song they played was 'The Red and the Black', which is the first song on Tyranny and Mutation.  And it sounded just as good as it does on the album.

These guys have been on tour forever LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Being a lover of conspiracy theories, I guess kind of sums up why I like BOC so much. Also I do consider myself a thinking man.

Sorry I have not been available. Blizzard, power outage, no heat...all leading to a family medical emergency which has been a living nightmare. I see there are a number of conversations I would like to have participated in, it's likely I will still be tied up for a while...things are getting better, but as the Deep Purple song goes ...it's a hard road.

Earlier in the week, I assumed many were still digging out from the blizzard, but I'm sorry that you felt the brunt of it; no power / heat is no joke.  I was hoping you were taking a few vacation days, as you usually check in, so I'm also sorry to hear that you had a medical emergency on top of the weather-related woes -- but hope all involved will improve soon.  Thanks for letting us know.   Hope to see you when life's more steady and recovery is in full swing.   Take care, friend.  

RE: BOC -- Never underestimate a band that includes the word "cult" in their name.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Earlier in the week, I assumed many were still digging out from the blizzard, but I'm sorry that you felt the brunt of it; no power / heat is no joke.  I was hoping you were taking a few vacation days, as you usually check in, so I'm also sorry to hear that you had a medical emergency on top of the weather-related woes -- but hope all involved will improve soon.  Thanks for letting us know.   Hope to see you when life's more steady and recovery is in full swing.   Take care, friend.  

RE: BOC -- Never underestimate a band that includes the word "cult" in their name.  

Thanks yoga, things are improving greatly.

You think you are prepared for things like this and then it hits hard, harder than you can imagine. And life gets turned upside down when someone you love is in very serious condition, and you feel partly responsible, because you know you should have, and could have done more....but, you assume things, instead of checking, when it would have been so easy to do so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Promise me you will start another Blue Oyster Cult thread sometime in the future, okay?

I didn't mean to sidetrack this one, but, I didn't want you to think I was ignoring it, just that I had my schedule pretty full lately.