OK, I'm kind of groping with this one.  Sometimes I have these Eureka moments and seemingly profound thoughts and then when I try to to express it I find it's very difficult to articulate precisely.

This particular Eureka moment came when I was watching a Joe Bonamassa concert on TV with my wife.  It occurred to me that the blues-rock guitar hero torch had been passed to this guy.  I started thinking back on all of the great blues-rock guitarists who preceded him.  Albert King, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins.  Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page.  Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore.  Johnny Winter, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

From there I started to think that blues-rock seemed to be the form of music that had stayed with me through all the years and the changes in musical trends, and that there was kind of an ageless quality to it.  When Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck went on tour a few years ago people loved it.  When Bonamassa brings Eric Clapton up on stage to play Further On Up the Road, people go nuts.

I don't know why this is.  I guess it's partially due to blues being a music of the soul.  You feel it deep inside and it's soothing.  Then you add in the amplification and the virtuosity that these guitarists bring, and you have something that's soothing and thrilling at the same time.  

It just never seems to goes out of style.