Bluesman Johnny Winter dead at 70

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Bluesman Johnny Winter dead at 70

Very sad news to start off the day.Rest in peace.Here's a song called "Sound the bell":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1E1EH6bXfA

Texas blues icon Johnny Winter, who rose to fame in the late 1960s and '70s for his energetic performances and musical collaborations including with childhood hero Muddy Waters, has died. He was 70.

His representative, Carla Parisi, confirmed Thursday that Winter died in a hotel room in Zurich a day earlier. The statement said his wife, family and bandmates were all saddened by the loss of one of the world's finest guitarists.

He had been on an extensive tour this year that brought him to Europe. His last performance came Saturday at the Lovely Days Festival in Wiesen, Austria.

Winter was one of the most popular acts of the early 1970s, when his signature fast blues guitar solos attracted a wide following.

His career received a big boost early on when Rolling Stone magazine singled him out as one of the best blues guitarists on the Texas scene. This helped secure a substantial recording contract from Columbia Records and gave him a wide following among college students and young blues fans.

Winter, who was instantly recognizable for his long white hair, worked with some of the greatest bluesmen, producing several albums for Waters and recording with John Lee Hook-er. He paid homage to Waters on "Tribute to Muddy," a song from his 1969 release "The Progressive Blues Experiment."

Among the blues classics that Winter played from that era were "Rollin' and Tumblin'," ''Bad Luck and Trouble" and "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl." He also teamed up with his brother Edgar for their 1976 album "Together."

"Another day closer to the parade"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Bluesman Johnny Winter dead at 70

Bumped due to spam

"Another day closer to the parade"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Always especially sad for me to see the passing of a blues musician. And what a unique one. An albino bluesman. The blues truly knows no color.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What a drag.

Ironically for me, I'm reading his biography 'Raisin' Cain' right now (it's excellent).

All things considered, Johnny did pretty good to live this long.

The band in Heaven must be killin' it today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Always especially sad for me to see the passing of a blues musician. And what a unique one. An albino bluesman. The blues truly knows no color.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing, re: his albino identity, and coming from that era, how it made no difference.  He seems to have had the life he had truly wanted, and made the most of it. 

Sad news.   Oddly enough, this news somewhat collides with a post of mine from a few weeks ago, when I did an ID question on Rick Derringer.  I remember specifically that he had a tight relationship with Johnny (and Edgar, too) Winters, and played with both of them, but didn't give it as a clue, because I figured that was too generous of a clue.  

It's been so quiet here, we didn't even mention Tommy Ramone's death last week.   That must have been a real crusher for our lost friend, JE, a rabid Ramones fan.    And now there are none ... 

Thanks for the thread, mojo. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Too bad. My favorite album is Saints and Sinners and the killer Feedback on Highway 101, almost sure to get you a speeding ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiN_p0TDWu0" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiN_p0TDWu0

A friend of mine saw him play about 10 years ago now and said he would be hunched over in a chair or wheelchair or something looking really old.