Bob Dylan was influenced by Allen Ginsberg's chanting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bob Dylan was influenced by Allen Ginsberg's chanting?

First, a prayer to the posting Gods (non-religious, of course; the posting Gods reside in BDC's guts and bolts).    Om shanti, and amen.  Smile

Are you with me?  Good.  

I am learning the chants (or Yoga Mantras)  that accompany a form of yoga that I am learning (power yoga is an off-shoot of it).   While this form of yoga is not entirely new to me, there are many extreme and vast differences and one of them is the opening and closing chanting.  It's said in sanskrit.   Chanting is not singing, but it's also not speaking, so I am trying to get the hang of it.   And yes, I like it.     

This got me to thinking of how chanting might have influenced some rock / folk / etc. singers and I just read that Bob Dylan, the big daddy of them all, was influenced by Allen Ginsberg's chanting in a poem he used to read aloud, called "Howl."   I just listened to part of it (and also Ginsberg chanting during an interview with William F. Buckley which was hilarious -- Buckley's eye contact was priceless).    Dylan was also influenced by Woody Guthrie, who was apparently a trend-setter in the mode of dead pan singing.   

Woody Guthrie:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaI5IRuS2aE  (This Land is Your Land)

Who else comes to mind when you think of a (successful) dead pan artist?    Do you agree that Kurt Cobain was carrying on in that tradition?    Any thoughts?

(wish me luck with my yoga mantras -- I can use it).  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Bob Dylan was influenced by Allen Ginsberg's chanting?

How about this guy?

Leon Redbone - "Lazy Bones"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROwjULKVj0

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I think Randy Newman is another one.

"Burn On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtW8RkI3-c4

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

...and here I thought Bob Dylan was influenced mostly by whaling songs...commonly known by the term "sea chanty."

I quote-"Singing, or chanting as it is called, is an invariable accompaniment to working in cotton and many screw -gangs have an endless collection of songs , rough and uncouth,both in words and melody, but answering well the purposes of making all pull together and enlivening the heavy toil. The foreman is the CHANTY-MAN , who sings the song, the gang only joining in on the chorus, which comes in at the end of every line which again comes the pull of the screw handles ( or oars).

So, in as such that Rock and Roll primarily comes from two very, very blue collar forms of music ( Blues and Folk..and Dylan comes directly from the Folk world) , it is no surprise that chanting is tied to singing while performing hard, tiring or long work.

I have been known to break into my own version of 'Ballad Of A Thin Man' while cutting the grass. Sometimes I start singing 'Desolation Row' while shoveling snow. Usually on a bad day at work I will lead the group in a rendition of 'Maggies Farm.'

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.- Mitch Hedberg.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Rap is probably a form of chanting....it sure ain't singing!

Somehow I can't see a young woman rapping while doing yoga..so stick to the yoga mantras ...please!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

How about this guy?

- Thomas Jefferson

Spot on.   Seems like your kind of amusement, too.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I think Randy Newman is another one.

"Burn On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtW8RkI3-c4

Very interesting choice.

I never would have thought of Randy Newman, but that song illustrates the point very well. He's not melodic in the least  -- and very dead pan.   Chanting would be a very good outlet for him.   :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Lou Reed is another one who comes to mind. Especially on this song with the Velvet Underground.

"Venus In Furs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQzaLr1enE

- Thomas Jefferson

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Rap is probably a form of chanting....it sure ain't singing!

Somehow I can't see a young woman rapping while doing yoga..so stick to the yoga mantras ...please!

Rap and chanting may have something in common, but it's a bit of a stretch.  But I like the idea you even thought of it.  Laughing

Insofar as music goes, I've heard lots of non-traditional and unexpected music for a yoga session (including rock music), but (at least in my own experience), I've never heard any rap music in the mix.   :)

Chanting is supposed to shift a person's consciousness to a higher level; it's meditative.    It brings peace, calmness and centeredness to the individual.   Chanting (and this has been proven in studies) stabilises the heart rate and lowers blood pressure, for starters (there are many, many other benefits).   NOW if RAP does any of that, you could have fooled me.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here's an example of a certain type of chanting that isn't rock, but it still is cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXByMD4XWso

- Thomas Jefferson

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Lou Reed is another one who comes to mind. Especially on this song with the Velvet Underground.

"Venus In Furs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQzaLr1enE

Man, that is incredible.  Excellent example.  Not sure of all the instrumentals in this song, but it has a decidedly Eastern edge, unless I am mistaken.    I am so, so into this.   

Thank goodness you are around today.   I'd be chanting all alone if it weren't for you (and Zilla's brief visit).   Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Here's an example of a certain type of chanting that isn't rock, but it still is cool.

Truly beautiful.  

Yes, you and I are on the same page re: early music.    We discussed this briefly in the religion thread, as all early music was moreorless geared toward religion and spirituality.  The Gregorian chants -- also amazing.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

How about this guy?

- Thomas Jefferson

Spot on.   Seems like your kind of amusement, too.  :)

Surprisingly, I never got into Leon Redbone. I do like his image. Back in my college days, I knew a guy who liked him and also the spoken word phase of Tom Waits' career. I didn't get into Waits until he started singing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Almost anything by the Beta Band.

And by Mike Doughty/Soul Coughing.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Who else comes to mind when you think of a (successful) dead pan artist?    

Steven Wright

Do you agree that Kurt Cobain was carrying on in that tradition? 

NO!

I do dig Leon Redbone, who strangely reminds me of Lyle Lovette

Not all songs for Nirvana, granted.    But take "Lithium" for one / starters (at least for me), and I could make a case for lots of songs where he drones on and on, expressionless and in the tradition that I'm referring to here.

Lyle Lovett probably belongs on a list of "under appreciated" artists -- although he may be more appreciated than I realize when he's on his own turf.     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A band / singer  that immediately springs to mind is Mazzy Star with Hope Sandoval.  

Yesterday I listened to one of my old Mazzy Star albums and was mesmerized by it -- oddly liking it better now than I did ten years ago.   Sandoval's voice is hypnotic.  I've always liked Sandoval's singing style and her voice, too, even though she does at times, sound like a cat in heat.  :) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?"  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

On a side note, speaking of chanting ... I met a guy who had formerly been a monk; he had lived in a monastery in western MA.   Interesting dude.   He had a beard and hated wearing shoes.  

Anyhow, as the tale goes,  he fell in love with the monastery nurse, and ran off with her.   He quit the brotherhood, and married the nurse.   Not sure if the chanting remained part of his life, but they lived happily ever after as far as I know.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

On a side note, speaking of chanting ... I met a guy who had formerly been a monk; he had lived in a monastery in western MA.   Interesting dude.   He had a beard and hated wearing shoes.  

Anyhow, as the tale goes,  he fell in love with the monastery nurse, and ran off with her.   He quit the brotherhood, and married the nurse.   Not sure if the chanting remained part of his life, but they lived happily ever after as far as I know.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Nice. I like stories with a happy ending. My brother-in-law's brother left the priesthhood for the love of a woman.

At one time, people may have found these action scandalous. Personally, I find them refreshing. Celibacy is one of those religious concepts I find absolutely absurd, even within the realm of religious belief itself. How does engaging in a natural, normal, healthy, and beautiful activity make a person less able to connect with God? You would think it would be just the opposite. Belief that God would want us to abstain from the very pleasures our bodies naturally desire seems like a very perverse view of God.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Truly beautiful.  

Yes, you and I are on the same page re: early music.    We discussed this briefly in the religion thread, as all early music was moreorless geared toward religion and spirituality.  The Gregorian chants -- also amazing.  

For me, the most important musical content is sound that affects my emotions. It is not about lyrics or meaning. Any meaning, to me, is in the sound itself.

Sections
Shortcuts