Bonham vs. Moon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Bonham vs. Moon

OK, given that most rock music fans would acknowledge Neil Peart as the best drummer, he's out of this discussion, so who would you pick next?

Be specific.  If you think one is the best but the other is your favorite, go ahead and say it.

I'll choose Bonzo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Bonham vs. Moon

def pleading the 5th on this one. depends what you're going for. technical, bonham, moon for the sporadic brilliance and showmanship.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Personally, Bonham may be the more accomplished drummer but Moon was utterly genius behind the drums when his head was right.

As to the Neil Peart being number 1 - I fully disagree with that. #2 maybe, but I will take Carl Palmer over all of these guys any day of the week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I like Moon better 'cause he's a surfing Theme From Batman kinda drummer. I also like Mitch Mitchell, another one who surfed with the drums. For regular good old rock drummers Ringo is my guy. And Charlie Watts. One of my more recent favorites is Pete Thomas of The Attractions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Zeppelin and Bonham over The Who and Moon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

people here might not really be into rush's music nearly as much as the other choices, but peart is definitely the best talentwise in my book.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I don't really like trying to compare two greats like Bonham and Moon.  Bonham was the perfect drummer for Zep, Moon was perfect for The Who.  Maybe if they had switched places they would also have changed their style of drumming.  I would say Moon had a 'busier' style and was in some respects more interesting.  Bonham was power personified.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Didn't say it would be easy...

I chose Bonham because I've never heard anyone be able to hit so hard and yet still keep such immaculate time...I mean, the guy was like a 250 lb. swiss watch, swinging those tree trunks he called drumsticks.  Plus, Bonham was one of a few who played just as well with his hands.

Most of all, Zeppelin just was not Zeppelin without Bonzo.  When he passed (RIP), there wasn't even a question...Led Zep was finished.  (And I don't blame The Who for carrying on without Moon, either.)  Not too many bands can say the same about their drummer (a la Spinal Tap?).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Moon, by the slightest of margins.  (although before you asked, I had never gave it any thought: enjoy them both)

Also give a nod to Ginger Baker

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

"Bonham"

Moon was more fun to watch though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchmybalk. Show watchmybalk's posts

First,I don't agree Peart is the best.Moon is harder to imitate so he must be better.There are many great drummers.It's a matter of your favorite....like ice cream.Ian Paice,Mitch Mitchell,Carmine Appice,Mickey Dee and Tommy Aldridge are all worthy but often forgotten in drummer discussions like this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ringo - just saying.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Bonham vs. Moon:
    [QUOTE]Ringo - just saying.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]You have a point there. I pled the fifth because I think rock drummers are way overrated in general. If you want to talk real drummers, we need to talk about Art Blakey, Buddy Rich and Max Roach. Just my opinion.