Boston's Selfless Acts of Kindness and Bravery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Boston's Selfless Acts of Kindness and Bravery

I'm very proud of the city of Boston and of all the people who rushed to help, rescue and comfort the people in need yesterday, after the shocking act of terror that we experienced at one of our proudest, finest, and most freedom-evoking events of the year: the Boston Marathon on Patriot's Day.  

There were people who ran right into the eye of the storm to help others, and the emergency medical staff were nothing short of remarkable, as always.  I have a friend who is a nurse at BMC, and she is a prime example of what makes our medical facilities so outstanding.  I was speechless seeing how quickly the medical crews sped into action.  

Sacred ground has been trampled.   Dan Shaughnessy has said it well: "More end to more innocence."   

Send a song to Boston.   I'm always amazed at the songs you all come up with, no matter the occasion.     And I hope you're all okay.   Share some love.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Boston's Selfless Acts of Kindness and Bravery

Very quiet here today, and that's understandable.   Not much can be said that hasn't been said in the past 24 hours.   I've certainly experienced personal sorrow like no other over the past several months, my heart so heavy I can barely manage at times, yet I can't imagine the trauma of being present and experiencing the events in Boston yesterday.   Innocent people who were yanked into a tragic and violent scene at what has traditionally been a day of the pure celebration of Patriot's Day and an annual rite of spring.   Running "Boston" is the dream marathon of every runner in the world.  

Hope to see you in a day or so.  If you want to log your thoughts, feel free to do so, even if you're not in the mood to post a song.  I understand.   As I say to my yoga friends, I'll "see you on the mat" some time soon.   Namaste, friends.  

PS Jessey, you are the best.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Ok here on the other side of the state. One co-worker volunteered at the race handing out water and luckily she was 5 miles away from the finish line. She didn't know what had happened immediately but saw that there were no more runners coming by. She was able to safely make her way out of the city by an alternate route. Today she is at work proudly wearing her volunteer's jacket in honor or all the runners. She was saying how inspirational the event is which makes the horror of what happened even more disturbing.

Another co-worker had two sons in the area, one at the race and another who works in Boston. She was able to get in touch with both of them shortly after the attack and happily both were safe.

What could and should have been a perfect, upbeat day descended into horror and grief.

I share your view on those who serve to help others. Their actions save lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzi_rsnV2r0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Nice, yogs...

An ancillary thought:

Here's hoping that every major city can some day have a health AND hospital network as advanced and capable as the one we enjoy in Boston.  Because it's not a given...and the only question holding it up is whether we, as a society, truly believe in helping the disadvantaged and healing the sick no matter what the cost.

"Imagine...", if you will....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Ok here on the other side of the state. One co-worker volunteered at the race handing out water and luckily she was 5 miles away from the finish line. She didn't know what had happened immediately but saw that there were no more runners coming by. She was able to safely make her way out of the city by an alternate route. Today she is at work proudly wearing her volunteer's jacket in honor or all the runners. She was saying how inspirational the event is which makes the horror of what happened even more disturbing.

Another co-worker had two sons in the area, one at the race and another who works in Boston. She was able to get in touch with both of them shortly after the attack and happily both were safe.

What could and should have been a perfect, upbeat day descended into horror and grief.

Thanks for the update via your co-worker.   One of my yoga friends has a daughter in college and said her daugher called her right away to let her know she was okay.   A few of the colleges in Boston went into lockdown, that I heard on the news.   Again, I am so impressed with the handling of this emergency, and the way people cooperate.   

LOVE the song you posted.   Graham Parker?  Wow.   There was a comment where someone said he even sounds a bit like Elvis Costello, the Clash, etc.    I thought the same thing.   I know Costello and the Clash are among your faves, too.    Nice spirit to the song, and it cheered me up, which I can really use right now.   Music as soul food.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

Thanks for the update via your co-worker.   One of my yoga friends has a daughter in college and said her daugher called her right away to let her know she was okay.   A few of the colleges in Boston went into lockdown, that I heard on the news.   Again, I am so impressed with the handling of this emergency, and the way people cooperate.   

LOVE the song you posted.   Graham Parker?  Wow.   There was a comment where someone said he even sounds a bit like Elvis Costello, the Clash, etc.    I thought the same thing.   I know Costello and the Clash are among your faves, too.    Nice spirit to the song, and it cheered me up, which I can really use right now.   Music as soul food.   

Yes, Graham Parker does sound like Elvis Costello. At one time, I was really into what I called the Big Three angry young men: Graham Parker, Elvis Costello, and Joe Jackson. I think there are some similarites among the three, but each brings their own unique style and persona. Love the Clash, too. I racked my brain to come up with an appropriate song and "Don't Let It Break You Down" seemed perfect. Parker is great for songs that both face harsh and hard reality yet offer some hope as well. I have followed his career for a long time and he is still putting out quality music to this day. I'm glad you LOVE that song.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Nice, yogs...

An ancillary thought:

Here's hoping that every major city can some day have a health AND hospital network as advanced and capable as the one we enjoy in Boston.  Because it's not a given...and the only question holding it up is whether we, as a society, truly believe in helping the disadvantaged and healing the sick no matter what the cost.

"Imagine...", if you will....

Thanks, and agree.  Boston could not be a more capable city to handle a catastrophic medical emergency (yet, even the physicians here were pushed to their limits, which is understandable).

The irony of having a line of wheel chairs at the ready for the runners, a medical team present ... and a hospital system that is the envy of many.   That did not go over the heads of anyone I have spoken to.   It is not a given by any means.  My friend at BMC has said those concise words in terms of what she experiences ... "you would not believe what we see" on a daily basis.   No one is turned away.   Some people do not fully appreciate what we have here, the sheer *immensity* of it.    We have some "imagine" -- and thankfully we have it to offer all of the people who needed it yesterday, and in the days to come.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My best wishes to all those affected by this tragedy in Boston.Also,my heartfelt thanks for those who came together to help provide food,comfort and medical assistance for the people needed it.

I thought this was a great post yesterday by comedian Patton Oswalt:

"Boston. F*****g horrible," his post began.

"I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, 'Well, I've had it with humanity.'

"But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths."

He continued by expressing his awe of those who rally to support against the presence of evil.

"But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet," he wrote. "You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

"But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

"So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will.'"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Not much to say, my two children were there with their mother...I called and spoke with my daughter - NEVER have two rings of a phone lasted, what seemed to be, an eternity!

Thoughts and prayers to those less fortunate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Also,from the late Mr. Rogers (Yes,that Mr. Rogers) were these words of wisdom:

"The late Mr. Rogers, whose advice from The Mister Rogers Parenting Book, first went viral following the Sandy Hook massacre in December. "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

As we live in these dark days filled with violence, opposition and hate

There lies a place of saving grace
    Protected in the hearts of the humble
    The faithful, the ones who choose the path of resistance to protest
    Protect, save, proclaim our lives lived not in vain.
    In flesh, in spirit eternal
    One love, One truth, One destiny

One love! (one love) one truth! (one truth) one destiny

Arise and be triumphant
    No rest until all is fulfilled
    Our roots must balance our branches
    Be vigilant in truth and love
    (in truth and love)

There is a strength in numbers we must unite mankind
    There is a strength in numbers, our faith lies deep inside
    (We!) We struggle, (We) we suffer, (So) so we must come together
    (We!) We struggle, (We) we suffer, (but) but we will live forever

Babylon's method of deception
    So devious the strong are swayed
    (so devious, the strong are swayed)

(We!) We struggle, (We!) we suffer, (So!) so we must come together
    (We!) We struggle, (We!) we suffer, (but!) but we will live forever

(One love, one truth)
    (One love, one truth)

One love! (one love) one truth! (one truth) one destiny

(Yeaaaaah)

(We!) We struggle, (We!) we suffer, (So!) so we must come together
    (We!) We struggle, (We!) we suffer, (but!) but we will live forever

May the sun shine upon you and bless your inner light

and may you find true peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW6GtKeRo00

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

My best wishes to all those affected by this tragedy in Boston.Also,my heartfelt thanks for those who came together to help provide food,comfort and medical assistance for the people needed it.

I thought this was a great post yesterday by comedian Patton Oswalt:

"Boston. F*****g horrible," his post began.

"I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, 'Well, I've had it with humanity.'

"But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths."

He continued by expressing his awe of those who rally to support against the presence of evil.

"But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet," he wrote. "You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

It is a good post.   Thanks.  Sometimes, comedians come up with the best images of the truth.   I did not listen to much coverage today, but the coverage I did hear really did inspire me along the lines of Patton Oswalt's thoughts.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Not much to say, my two children were there with their mother...I called and spoke with my daughter - NEVER have two rings of a phone lasted, what seemed to be, an eternity!

Thoughts and prayers to those less fortunate.

Glad to hear that phone got answered by your daughter, after two heart-thumping rings.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Now *that's* intense.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35IDV4ngu2s

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Guess who livED around the corner and grew up with my daughters.

The darling young woman who lost her life?   She grew up in Medford.  Krystle?  

So sorry, Greg.   A terrible tragedy.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Have any of you watched the Stephen Colbert tribute to Boston?    The comic relief you will get from it is instantaneous.   Brilliant.   

It's on BDC.   Here's the link (hope it works).  If the link fails, just go to BDC and find it directly. It's worth watching.  

http://www.boston.com/news/source/2013/04/video_stephen_c.html?comments=all#aComments

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts