Boxing Day/Kwanzaa music quiz.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Boxing Day/Kwanzaa music quiz.

Let's do a little quiz for the holidays no one talks much about.

Popular British Classic rock band ( band #1) unintentionally named their biggest selling LP with a single word. The word also happens to be the (plural) name of another British band( band #2). Band #2 returned the favor by naming one of their few LPs after band #1 (shortened and mispelled, however) also in the plural form.

Can you name the two bands and the two LPs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Boxing Day/Kwanzaa music quiz.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Rumour - Max

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Impressed DD.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Way above my pay grade.  

Kudos, DD.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Also duly impressed. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Rumour - Max

Yes, I became a big fan of The Rumour. I was impressed with the songwriting and lyrics of Graham Parker, but over time I came to really appreciate that he had marvelous backing band of top notch musicians. Soon I was aware that they had recorded two ( then later a 3rd) LPs without GP. I was doing some reading somewhere back a few years ago and discovered that The Rumour named their album 'Max" after Fleetwood Mac....it was kind of a joke, that they helped Fleetwood Mac become superstars by having the album named after them. So, they returned the favor. The Rumour never acheived the world -wide success of Fleetwood Mac.

Over 30 years later , I play 'Max' nore than I play 'Rumours.' It sounds fresh every time, because the music has never been overplayed on radio or anywhere else , in fact I don't believe a single was released in the U.S. or any of the songs have ever gotten any airplay at all.

Nice job, David!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Once I came up with the popular one word album Rumours, it just fell into place. I just tried to think like Zilla, and I know his love for The Rumour, a band I am a huge fan of as well.

Do you also know there are two British rock artists that are also part of a similar joke? One recorded an LP while in the same year the other recorded an EP. It has to do with dropping an "e" in the title.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am giving this one some thought, David. I am not sure I know the answer, it may be in the back of my cluttered brain.

If you persist in trying to think like me , people may think you are a nut....just a warning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Do you also know there are two British rock artists that are also part of a similar joke? One recorded an LP while in the same year the other recorded an EP. It has to do with dropping an "e" in the title. 

Woah.  I was just looking up something totally unrelated to your question, because of a reference I saw recently.    Then I remembered your question here ...

So I think I know this one now.   I didn't cheat.   Not intentionally.   This has got to be an inspiring case of serendipity.   WOW.   (maybe some synchronicity, too)  :)

"Low" and "Bowi" ---  David and Nick's albums.   Lowe named his EP as a funny nod to Bowie.   

Got it?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Woah.  I was just looking up something totally unrelated to your question, because of a reference I saw recently.    Then I remembered your question here ...

So I think I know this one now.   I didn't cheat.   Not intentionally.   This has got to be an inspiring case of serendipity.   WOW.   (maybe some synchronicity, too)  :)

"Low" and "Bowi" ---  David and Nick's albums.   Lowe named his EP as a funny nod to Bowie.   

Got it?  

Bingo Yoga! I am impressed!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

THANK YOU, DD.    I might have to quit while I'm ahead.   

This is the most exciting music moment I've had all year.  :)  

Just have to tell you, I saw someone reference David Bowie's album, "Low" yesterday, in a comment comparing that album to some ambient music that was posted.    

I'd never heard of the album, and was intrigued, especially since I now know (thanks to the forum) what an eclectic catalog Bowie has; most casual listeners like me, only know his biggest hits, which merely scratch the surface.  

In a response to the comment re: comparing the album "Low" in that instance, another commenter said that "Low" was a superior album,  and should not be used for comparison. 

Thus, I decided to look up the album today.  And then saw the Nick Lowe fun reference.   And for some reason, I remembered your question, which is crazy ... but I know how much you know about and like Nick Lowe, too, so it clicked into place.

Great question.   I won't forget this one, either.  Too cool.   :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, if Zilla returns to this thread, or anyone else who has knowledge of David Bowie's  album, "Low", I'd be very interested to know what you think of it.

I'm very curious.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Check out Bowies group "Tin Machine" yoga....that was a 180 for him (IMHO)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

BTW, if Zilla returns to this thread, or anyone else who has knowledge of David Bowie's  album, "Low", I'd be very interested to know what you think of it.

I'm very curious.  

Not one of my favorite Bowie albums, but good in it's own way. Bowie was experimenting around this time with lots of synthesized music, citing Kraftwerk as a major influence. Some really good Bowie songs come from this period ( Ashes to Ashes, Look Back In Anger, .D.J., Heroes, and the entire 'Station to Station' LP) however none of those is on 'Low.'

I always keep going back to the great Bowie albums, Diamond Dogs, The Man Who Sold The World, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Hunky Dory.

His later stuff is all very good, but never matched the complete brilliance of the earlier classics.

Another "ODDITY", both Nick Lowe and David Bowie recorded a song called "Breaking Glass." The Bowie song is on the 'Low' LP, The Nick Lowe song is from "Jesus Of Cool"( U.K.) aka "Pure Pop For Now People. ( USA)"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm very curious.  

Low is a collaboration with Brian Eno and contains ambient music, something that Eno is well known for. If you have any interest in ambient music, I highly recommend Eno's Another Green World. Here is a link to the complete album on YouTube. I just listened to the entire album this morning and I still love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCkmIwRrc0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I'm very curious.  

Not one of my favorite Bowie albums, but good in it's own way. Bowie was experimenting around this time with lots of synthesized music, citing Kraftwerk as a major influence. Some really good Bowie songs come from this period ( Ashes to Ashes, Look Back In Anger, .D.J., Heroes, and the entire 'Station to Station' LP) however none of those is on 'Low.'

I always keep going back to the great Bowie albums, Diamond Dogs, The Man Who Sold The World, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Hunky Dory.

His later stuff is all very good, but never matched the complete brilliance of the earlier classics.

Another "ODDITY", both Nick Lowe and David Bowie recorded a song called "Breaking Glass." The Bowie song is on the 'Low' LP, The Nick Lowe song is from "Jesus Of Cool"( U.K.) aka "Pure Pop For Now People. ( USA)" 

Thanks, Zilla.  After several posts where you mentioned Bowie as one of your favorite artists, I assumed you'd know the album, "Low".  It makes sense that he'd cite Kraftwerk as an influence.  All the worlds collide (in a good way) with some of your favorite artists.  

I'm sure I can find some songs off of "Low" to listen to online.  

I am still amused, in looking it up, I connected to the answer to DD's relatively obscure question; I figure I owe it to myself to catch at least a few songs off the album. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm very curious.  

Low is a collaboration with Brian Eno and contains ambient music, something that Eno is well known for. If you have any interest in ambient music, I highly recommend Eno's  Another Green World. Here is a link to the complete album on YouTube. I just listened to the entire album this morning and I still love it.

If I have any interest ... too funny, that's what got this whole thing started.  :)  

If anything, I am trying to curb some of my interest in ambient music (I have another band I might post on that's relatively new-ish that's ambient) ... as I don't know if I want to buy another ambient album, but I'll see.   I am majorly into ambient music, and while that's a very broad brush to describe the many shades of ambient, believe me, I listen to music in that general genre frequently.  :)

Meanwhie, thanks for the album link.   I just put it on, so I can listen to it in the background.  So far, so good (I'm about 15 minutes into it).   You listened to it this morning?   Nice.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

yoga,I had forgot that 'Sound And Vision' was a track on the album Low.

This is one of my favorite Bowie songs. And I believe 'Warszawa' and 'Always Crashing In The Same Car' are pretty good tracks.....the 2nd one, besides being a cool title, could be the theme song for a 21 year old kid who works part time where I work.

Jesseyeric is also a fan of Bowie, I believe he mentioned at some point back a few months or years...I'll bet he's more fond of the "glitter years" Bowie...1971-74 or so, as am I, Diamond Dogs is easily my favorite Bowie album as I loved 1984 by George Orwell( the book it takes it's theme from) so much I read it twice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm very curious.  

Low is a collaboration with Brian Eno and contains ambient music, something that Eno is well known for. If you have any interest in ambient music, I highly recommend Eno's  Another Green World. Here is a link to the complete album on YouTube. I just listened to the entire album this morning and I still love it.

If I have any interest ... too funny, that's what got this whole thing started.  :)  

If anything, I am trying to curb some of my interest in ambient music (I have another band I might post on that's relatively new-ish that's ambient) ... as I don't know if I want to buy another ambient album, but I'll see.   I am majorly into ambient music, and while that's a very broad brush to describe the many shades of ambient, believe me, I listen to music in that general genre frequently.  :)

Meanwhie, thanks for the album link.   I just put it on, so I can listen to it in the background.  So far, so good (I'm about 15 minutes into it).   You listened to it this morning?   Nice.  

Brian Eno is a pioneer in ambient music. I only have the one album by him, but others of his are even more ambient, so to speak. He would be a good artist to explore further for that type of music.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

For Boxing Day I like the song Bob Dylan did about Hurricane Carter. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In response to cavaliersfan's comment:

C'mon I was just joking around.  Can't anyone respond to my dumb comment?  I know what Boxing Day really is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Was that song covered by the Scorpions and re-named "Box Me Like a Hurricane"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

Was that song covered by the Scorpions and re-named "Box Me Like a Hurricane"?

Gerbs, that was very good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

More songs for Boxing Day:

Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana

The Letter- by the BOXTOPS

Man In A Box - Alice In Chains

Hit Me With Your Best Shot- Pat Benatar

TKO ( Boxing Day ) - Elvis Costello

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel