Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads

Now that I got your attention. We all know that no matter what era you grew up, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal did not really get that much play on top 40 radio. So somewhere along the line, we had to be introduced to the heavier side and found that we couldn't get enough.

So my question is; which hard rock/heavy metal song caught your attention first? Which was the song that told you that it was time to play air guitar and pump your fist. For this discussion, tracks like "You Really Got Me", "My Generation", "White Room", "Purple Haze", etc. do not count. They were influential but didn't really cross the line completely. I know that I have touted the Beatles track "Helter Skelter", but I will not count that either.

For me - there were two songs; both from 1970

and

I know they certainly were not the first; but they were the two that grabbed me by the shoulders and said - let's go dude. Time to get nasty.

Misssissippi Queens had the cowbell and blistering guitar chords. Immigrant Song has that opening Plant siren shriek. It was like Thor playing music (Thor was my favorite comic book in my pre-teen days.

I couldn't get enough of either song.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads

Jessey, I know you're not a big fan of this song, but I have to go with Whole Lotta Love.  The first time I heard it on the radio I was thinking things like 'How the heck did he get that sound from a guitar?' 'What is up with that guy's voice?' 'Man, those lyrics are filthy.' Then when I heard the album version I was equally astonished at the noise effects in the song's midsection.  I didn't even know yet if I liked it that much, but I was very impressed with how different, loud, extreme and attention-getting it all was. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads:
    [QUOTE]Jessey, I know you're not a big fan of this song, but I have to go with Whole Lotta Love.  The first time I heard it on the radio I was thinking things like 'How the heck did he get that sound from a guitar?' 'What is up with that guy's voice?' 'Man, those lyrics are filthy.' Then when I heard the album version I was equally astonished at the noise effects in the song's midsection.  I didn't even know yet if I liked it that much, but I was very impressed with how different, loud, extreme and attention-getting it all was. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I certainly could understand the choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I don't consider myself any kind of hard rocker or metalhead jessey (bit too country for that), but I've gotta agree with you about those two songs. They did put me on a bit of a hard rock jag for 5 or 6 years. It actually took me hearing Roy Clark playing a blues song to get me listening to much country again after that. Very astute choices jessey. Another song I'd put in that category is "I'd love to change the world" by Ten Years After.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

For me, it was "Running With The Devil" and the whole side A to Van Halen's eponymous debut that first corrupted my tender ears.

From there, it was "The Number Of The Beast" and no looking back from there....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I used to listen to WAAF from Worcester ( not War-chester...more like "woooster"), these guys played lots and lots of hard rock, AC/DC, Van Halen, Ted Nugent and the like (this was around 1979-80).

Going back to the earlier era of the late 60's , I think seriously "hard rock" was not much available on air. I would say "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple and "All Right Now" by Free were two of the earlier "heavy" songs I heard on radio as a young pup, then Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak" and Zep's "Stairway to Heaven." Much of the rock from that era was sort of "semi-hard" rock, Badfinger, Three Dog Night, Crosby , Stills, Nash, Steely Dan, Doobie Bros. and a bunch of "softer" rock....America, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt....good stuff but not headbanger material by any means.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Never was much into real Metal, but I do love the hard stuff. For me it was Van Halen and AC/DC.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zilla - but what were the actual songs that turned you?

Newman -70's or 80's versions of the band?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Zilla - but what were the actual songs that turned you? Newman -70's or 80's versions of the band?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I think I always liked aggressive music, movies and T.V.

Maybe because I grew up in a nice quiet neighborhood. I would have to say songs like the Beatles "Hard Days Night" and the Kinks "You Really Got Me" are some of the earliest rock tunes that "really got me"...I was always listening to radio in those days, but there was so much variety. Jethro Tull's Aqualung and Steely Dan's "Do It Again" were big favories of mine in those days. I've always loved Santana and the Moody Blues too. I just love so much of what we call rock music from so many eras. I really started getting seriously into the Heavy Metal after I was out of high school. I remember purchasing a double LP by Deep Purple called "Purple Passages" which was a collection of songs and singles culled from the early Rod Evans-Nick Simper MACH ONE ( "Hush") era. I would say that "Smoke On The Water" was the only Deep Purple song played regularly on "top 40" radio, so that would have to be the one song that really "hooked" me on hard rock/metal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Never was much into real Metal, but I do love the hard stuff. For me it was Van Halen and AC/DC.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

I had this discussion with a younger co-worker. Why would AC/DC not be considered "real Metal?"

And if there is ever a song that is Heavy Metal, it's "Running With The Devil" by Van Halen.

Can a fictional postman from a great sitcom answer this correctly?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Another song that had a big impact on me was 'Child in Time' by Deep Purple.  I had a friend who was in the same high school English class as me, and it was the night before we were supposed to hand in a paper on Joan of Arc that we hadn't started.  He suggested he should come over to my place and we could work on it together.  Instead he showed up with Deep Purple In Rock under his arm.  So much for Joan.

First time I'd heard it and I was duly impressed.  I knew Child in Time was a classic right away.  Those majestic wails by Gillan, and then Blackmore  assaulting his guitar with the most visceral and angry solo I'd ever heard.  I was instantly hooked on Purple.  Into the void of bleakness left by the breakup of the Beatles, the new gods had come bearing a new type of musical thrills.  There was nothing to be sad about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

There is a side of me that likes the hard stuff, mostly when I'm working out at the gymn.

"Emty Spaces"/"Young Lust" by Pink Floyd were probably the first hard songs I liked, even though not all of Pink Floyd's stuff can be categorized as hard music.

"Empty Spaces" isn't hard rock, but you need it to set up "Young Lust".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

For me it was Led Zeppelin also, and probably Rock And Roll.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]Zilla - but what were the actual songs that turned you? Newman -70's or 80's versions of the band?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Van Halen - Roth years
    AC/DC 70's & early 80's 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Hard Rock:  Guns n' Roses - "It's So Easy"

Heavy Metal?  The problem for me is the singer always seems to s*ck.  I can get into the guitar and drums.  I can't get into a scrawny white dude grunting at me in a high-pitched voice about people dying (ie, Slayer), growling incoherently about people dying (most other ones), or sounding like an angry british man angrily complaining about society (those that are somewhere between punk and metal).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Hard Rock:  Guns n' Roses - "It's So Easy" Heavy Metal?  The problem for me is the singer always seems to s*ck.  I can get into the guitar and drums.  I can't get into a scrawny white dude grunting at me in a high-pitched voice about people dying (ie, Slayer), growling incoherently about people dying (most other ones), or sounding like an angry british man angrily complaining about society (those that are somewhere between punk and metal).
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

Most British Heavy Metal and Punk of the 70's and 80's WAS "angry British men angrily complaining about society."

In fact, most good Rock'nRoll is social comment put to music. A.k.a -complaining about society.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] In fact, most good Rock'nRoll is social comment put to music. A.k.a -complaining about society.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Yes.  I simply prefer singers who take the time to sing it.   I don't like growling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Hard Rock:  Guns n' Roses - "It's So Easy" Heavy Metal?  The problem for me is the singer always seems to s*ck.  I can get into the guitar and drums.  I can't get into a scrawny white dude grunting at me in a high-pitched voice about people dying (ie, Slayer), growling incoherently about people dying (most other ones), or sounding like an angry british man angrily complaining about society (those that are somewhere between punk and metal).
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

I would say that Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson and Geoff Tate have three of the better voices in RnR

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads : I had this discussion with a younger co-worker. Why would AC/DC not be considered "real Metal?" And if there is ever a song that is Heavy Metal, it's "Running With The Devil" by Van Halen. Can a fictional postman from a great sitcom answer this correctly?

Ooo, I missed this one! Sorry, to me they are just not in the same category as say Metallica or an Iron Maiden. Plenty of sites and blogs argue the same so I'm not alone on this. So answering it correctly is saying what, for me to agree with you. I have my opinion sorry if does not match up with the self apointed "Encyclopedia of Rock."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ianlaliberte. Show ianlaliberte's posts

Born in 69...

First memories of Hard Rock would have to be Deep Purple. Then Led Zeppelin , Free. Oh and heres an obscure one Crazy Arthur Brown "Fire". Could not stop playing that damn 45.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads : Ooo, I missed this one! Sorry, to me they are just not in the same category as say Metallica or an Iron Maiden. Plenty of sites and blogs argue the same so I'm not alone on this. So answering it correctly is saying what, for me to agree with you. I have my opinion sorry if does not match up with the self apointed "Encyclopedia of Rock."

Lighten up buddy.

I wasn't trying to be nasty, nor was I trying to be the "expert"....I have many friends here who do not agree with me on various topics. My friend p-mike does not like The Doors or Bono, we can agree to disagree on this. My friend jesseyeric is a big fan of Cheap Trick, I do not care for them. I never said your opinion was wrong, nor did I say the opinion of my co-worker is wrong, either. My feeling is Van Halen and AC/DC can best be categorized as Heavy Metal , not that they were better than Metallica or Iron Maiden or "more Heavy Metal" than Metallica or Iron Maiden.

Take this in the spirit is was meant to be taken as, a "contrary position" not that I have all the answers or the "right opinions."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads : Lighten up buddy. I wasn't trying to be nasty, nor was I trying to be the "expert"....I have many friends here who do not agree with me on various topics. My friend p-mike does not like The Doors or Bono, we can agree to disagree on this. My friend jesseyeric is a big fan of Cheap Trick, I do not care for them. I never said your opinion was wrong, nor did I say the opinion of my co-worker is wrong, either. My feeling is Van Halen and AC/DC can best be categorized as Heavy Metal , not that they were better than Metallica or Iron Maiden or "more Heavy Metal" than Metallica or Iron Maiden. Take this in the spirit is was meant to be taken as, a "contrary position" not that I have all the answers or the "right opinions."

Buddy??

Sorry, but to me It sounded like I got it wrong, and when was I going to get it right. (it does read that way) Next time I'll try to a better job to capture the feeling of what was written. 

Don't worry I've moved on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling All Hard Rockers and Metal Heads : Buddy?? Sorry, but to me It sounded like I got it wrong, and when was I going to get it right. (it does read that way) Next time I'll try to a better job to capture the feeling of what was written.  Don't worry I've moved on.

Use of the word "correctly" was probablly a poor choice on my part.

I accept full responsibilty for the confusion.

Really, I just was trying to understand what makes a group not considered "real Metal" in the opinion of others...you have answered that and I thank you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What is this the Sox forum?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

My college roommate had two albums that blew me away. They were both by Rush, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. I had heard of the band but had never listened to any of their albums, now I own them all!

Red Barchetta, if I had to pick one, is the song that caught my attention.