Can a song ever be played too much??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Can a song ever be played too much??

What's your breaking point?

WE WILL ROCK YOU PLAYED ... HOW MANY TIMES !!

BBC SPORT

11 Aug 2012
    London 2012 Olympics: Day 15 afternoon session

"1829:
    HANDBALL:
    Bronze medal latest: South Korea 24-24 Spain

Choi Im Jeong scores a penalty to tie the scores with 50 seconds remaining. Some fans watch through the lattice of their fingers, others clap along to Queen's 'We Will Rock You'(which has been played 505,998 times (approximately) during these Games). Hyobi Jo thinks she's scored the winner for South Korea, but referee won't allow the goal so we're into extra-time. What a game. What a sport."

© brianmay.com

I like the song but not that much!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Can a song ever be played too much??

In Response to Can a song ever be played too much??:
    [QUOTE]What's your breaking point? WE WILL ROCK YOU PLAYED ... HOW MANY TIMES !! BBC SPORT 11 Aug 2012 London 2012 Olympics: Day 15 afternoon session "1829: HANDBALL: Bronze medal latest: South Korea 24-24 Spain Choi Im Jeong scores a penalty to tie the scores with 50 seconds remaining. Some fans watch through the lattice of their fingers, others clap along to Queen's 'We Will Rock You' (which has been played 505,998 times (approximately) during these Games). Hyobi Jo thinks she's scored the winner for South Korea, but referee won't allow the goal so we're into extra-time. What a game. What a sport." © brianmay.com I like the song but not that much!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Roger -- the song is overplayed, but I liked the way the Olympics paid tribute to Queen last night with May and Taylor. The way the crowd responded to the giant hologram of Freddy Mercury is a reminder of just how powerful a performer he was.

Now Taylor and May need to take that show out on the road using a variety of different singers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

many songs are way overplayed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have a mental list of songs that I thought weren't half bad when they first came out, but within months I had to change the radio station anytime I heard the opening. Just so sick of hearing them almost everyday.
    Tops on my list are 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac, and 'Hollywood Nights' by Bob Seger.  Two artists I like, the songs are okay....but not worthy of being played every day on Classic Rock stations 35 years later.

There are some great songs that I wouldn't mind hearing often, but any song can get old real fast if you get bombarded with it constantly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Can a song ever be played too much??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Can a song ever be played too much?? : Roger -- the song is overplayed, but I liked the way the Olympics paid tribute to Queen last night with May and Taylor. The way the crowd responded to the giant hologram of Freddy Mercury is a reminder of just how powerful a performer he was. Now Taylor and May need to take that show out on the road using a variety of different singers.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]
     I watched a really good movie about Queen this weekend called "Queen - Days of our life" which was on the Biography channel.It was a documentry about the band with lots of interviews with May and Taylor and it came out in 2011.If you like Queen,and you get an opportunity to watch it,it's certianly worth a look.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a song ever be played too much?? :  I watched a really good movie about Queen this weekend called "Queen - Days of our life" which was on the Biography channel.It was a documentry about the band with lots of interviews with May and Taylor and it came out in 2011.If you like Queen,and you get an opportunity to watch it,it's certianly worth a look.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I own it on Blu Ray - twice as much content than the DVD....well done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]I have a mental list of songs that I thought weren't half bad when they first came out, but within months I had to change the radio station anytime I heard the opening. Just so sick of hearing them almost everyday. Tops on my list are 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac, and 'Hollywood Nights' by Bob Seger.  Two artists I like, the songs are okay....but not worthy of being played every day on Classic Rock stations 35 years later. There are some great songs that I wouldn't mind hearing often, but any song can get old real fast if you get bombarded with it constantly.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

YES! The same top 10 rotation played every hour on the hour used to drive me nuts.  Even now, I listen to WZLX and they tend to play a mix but the same song by the artist is repeated in that mix.  I guess that's why I have always enjoyed 95.5 WBRU - a total mix in style & sound!

NOTE: If you listen to WBRU listen to the news reort or weather being read by the college kid - they ALWAYS mis-speak!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Can a song ever be played too much?? : Roger -- the song is overplayed, but I liked the way the Olympics paid tribute to Queen last night with May and Taylor. The way the crowd responded to the giant hologram of Freddy Mercury is a reminder of just how powerful a performer he was. Now Taylor and May need to take that show out on the road using a variety of different singers.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

They may be....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/queen_hint_at_big_tour_in_2013.html

If it's with Lambert, I'm not going.  I watched his collaboration with Queen and it had all the flair of a Vegas stage show, it just didn't work for me. Actually the singers, all 9, from the Queen Extravaganza would be a better choice they were all awesome! Which could be the case because one of the singers, Marc Martel, disbanded his band recently.................

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a song ever be played too much?? :  I watched a really good movie about Queen this weekend called "Queen - Days of our life" which was on the Biography channel.It was a documentry about the band with lots of interviews with May and Taylor and it came out in 2011.If you like Queen,and you get an opportunity to watch it,it's certianly worth a look.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I will definitely check it out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a song ever be played too much?? : They may be.... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/queen_hint_at_big_tour_in_2013.html If it's with Lambert, I'm not going.  I watched his collaboration with Queen and it had all the flair of a Vegas stage show, it just didn't work for me. Actually the singers, all 9, from the Queen Extravaganza would be a better choice they were all awesome! Which could be the case because one of the singers, Marc Martel, disbanded his band recently.................
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Roger- Thanks for posting this. The best part are the comments!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Of course a song can be overplayed! My entire approach to music seems to be a continuous cycle of overplaying, temporarily abandoning, and then returning to (to overplay) bands and albums...  
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm the same way. I'll get hooked on a group/song/alum(s) and play them over and over 'til I get "sick" of them. Then I won't listen to them for a long time. And then I'll realize that I haven't listed to (fill in the blank) for a long time, and when I do, it sounds fresh again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]I have a mental list of songs that I thought weren't half bad when they first came out, but within months I had to change the radio station anytime I heard the opening. Just so sick of hearing them almost everyday. Tops on my list are 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac, and 'Hollywood Nights' by Bob Seger.  Two artists I like, the songs are okay....but not worthy of being played every day on Classic Rock stations 35 years later. There are some great songs that I wouldn't mind hearing often, but any song can get old real fast if you get bombarded with it constantly.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You know, it's a funny thing, but I often catch myself making fun of people at work who want to listen to the station that plays "Call Me Maybe" at least once an hour, but the truth of the matter is that I can predict with a fair degree of accuracy what the local "classic" rock station will play during the course of any given day. True enough, the repetition you find on an hourly basis isn't the same as it is on the pop station, but from day to day you hear the same two or three songs from the same 15 or 20 artists and that's pretty much it.

Also, "overplayed" can be a lifetime acheivment award, too . . . as in the case of moldering "classics" like "Stairway to Heaven" or "Freebird." Great songs, to be sure, but honestly . . .   it's enough already.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I like to imagine the song I would rather hear and would have played if I were the DJ...this works great with classic rock, but any genre will do.

So if the station plays CCR's "Down On The Corner", I would think: "Sweet Hitchhiker" or "Keep On Chooglin'".

"Smoke On The Water" -- /> "Black Knight"

"Oye Como Va" -- /> "Soul Sacrifice"

"Train In Vain" -- /> "Janie Jones"

and so on...

Anybody want to play?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I'll play

Rather hear:

Across the Universe instead of Hey Jude

Tangerine instead of Stairway to Heaven

Burn instead of Smoke on the Water

Prophecy Song instead of Bohemian Rhapsody

That was just to name a few.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Nice.

They used to play deep/album cuts all the time...now it's just like a bad k-tel compilation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'll play too:
    Hypnotized instead of Gypsy
    Under my wheels instead of Schools out
    Prime time instead of Talk to you later
    Child of the Moon instead of Angie
    All the girls love Alice instead of Good-bye yellow brick road
    Toys in the attic instead of Dream On
    The Song remains the same instead of Stairway to heaven 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And anything by L.S. instead of Free Bird

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Spare Me a Little of Your Love" instead of  "Rhiannon"

"Life During Wartime" instead of ANY other TH song 
    (may it be duly noted, LDW is the only TH song I truly LIKE)

"More Than This" instead of "Love is the Drug"

"The Obvious Child" instead of "Kodachrome" or "You Can Call Me Al"  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a song ever be played too much?? : You know, it's a funny thing, but I often catch myself making fun of people at work who want to listen to the station that plays "Call Me Maybe" at least once an hour, but the truth of the matter is that I can predict with a fair degree of accuracy what the local "classic" rock station will play during the course of any given day. True enough, the repetition you find on an hourly basis isn't the same as it is on the pop station, but from day to day you hear the same two or three songs from the same 15 or 20 artists and that's pretty much it. Also, "overplayed" can be a lifetime acheivment award, too . . . as in the case of moldering "classics" like "Stairway to Heaven" or "Freebird." Great songs, to be sure, but honestly . . .   it's enough already.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I've heard either song on the radio. The Classic Rock stations in the Tampa-Orlando area have changed in the past year and they sck. I'd actually be psyched if I heard either song on the radio.