Category: MUSIC (why was the sticky re: Forum Changes removed?)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Category: MUSIC (why was the sticky re: Forum Changes removed?)

Yogafriend says"
    I was feeling a little down last night because, like everything else post-Labor Day, the gym was full, and my yoga class was so crowded it was a bit distracting.   Have to re-adjust after the luxury of a less-crowded space over the summer."

I'm sorry to hear that your class is getting overcrowded.But,maybe the crowded classes would be a good opportunity  to hone up on your drishti. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

HA.  You know Sanskrit, MrMojo?   Funny, but my yoga instructor does use the Sanskrit names for yoga poses, although she doesn't use it for other vocabulary (such as "set your gaze")  :)

Better not put any ideas into BDC's suggestion box,  or we'll end up with a Sanskrit option here (yeah, right), when all we're asking is to get the EDIT button operating again.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    The question for BDC is will they really save money, by building and MAINTAINING (thats 80% of the cost, and NEVER goes away) their own system v a vendor supplied system. 

The question for us is what should we expect for alpha testing their stuff.

I do this for a living

Isn't alpha testing usually done by a focus group?   And isn't it also done on a development server, while the old front end is still operating?     

Now there will always be glitches in these sitches, but isn't the goal to try to launch the new front end when the rough edges are smoothed out?   Maybe not perfect, but close?

Furthermore -- I think I saw you mention the idea that it would have been nicey-nice if they'd put up a thread BEFOREHAND, to ask us, the end-users what we like / don't like / could live without / can't live without?    Too late.  What's done is done.   

I would also like the PREVIEW button to come back, BTW.   

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I ran into this on a page on BDC (not sure why it was there ...); it looks like an updated version of what's going on:

FROM BDC

Here's a rundown of the changes:   Boston.com article comments Replies -- Sometimes you post a reply to a comment, only to have your reply show up far removed from the original comment. Now you'll be able to reply directly and have your reply appear immediately below the comment.   Like/Dislike -- Lots of you use the "Recommend" link we attach to every comment, but some of you have asked for a way to express your dissatisfaction with a comment. With the new comments, you'll be able to Like or Dislike a comment or a reply.   Forums

Ignore this user -- This is a popular feature that we have to delay implementing for a couple of weeks. However, we have saved everybody's "enemies list", and when we re-introduce this, we will restore your personal list of the users you have already ignored.   Images -- Some of you like adding photos to your posts; that will be on hiatus for a little while.   Polls -- Conducting a poll is popular in our Sports forums, but we haven't built our own polling tool yet to be able to continue this right away. It's coming.   Search -- We want to give you the ability to search for anything in our forums; it's a bit complicated to implement, so we're delaying this feature for a few months.   Subscribe -- Some of you have subscribed to particular discussions or forums in order to get notified when somebody has added a post. That, too, will be added soon.   Private forums -- You've asked for these, and we're planning to deliver.   Discussion lists -- On the front page of many of our sections, such as Red Sox and Lifestyle, we have widgets that pull in the latest discussions from a particular forum. We're still building those, so in their place you'll see links directly to the relevant forums.   Profile Pages Public/private -- You can set your Profile Page to be public (viewable by everybody) or private (viewable by only you). Eventually we'll have a third option: Viewable by only your Friends.   Private messages -- This is another feature you have requested that we've built for you. From now on, when somebody leaves a message for you on your Profile Page, it is private - only you can see it, even if you have your Profile Page set to public.   Friends -- Don't worry, we haven't forgotten your friends. They're saved, but won't be displayed on your Profile Page until later.   Personal blogs -- We've also saved your blog posts. Although you won't be able to view them right away, they will return so you can once again blog to your heart's content.   Personal photo galleries -- Very few of you used this feature, so we probably won't add it back.   Profiles -- We can't let you change your avatar right now, but you'll soon be able to.   Forum signatures -- Your current forum signatures will stay, but the ability to change them or add new signatures is on its way.   Misc. Also on our roadmap are features such as social sharing, badging, user reviews, and more.     Thanks for your patience as we ramp up our new tools. We believe that bringing all of this in-house will allow us to make more of the changes you request - and faster.   If you have any questions or suggestions, please send us a note.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

GAH.  

The list I just posted (above) was in PARAGRAPHS.  

No tags?   Are you kidding me?   

SORRY.  No edit function.   No delete.  Yeah, this is just great.  What's not to love?   :P

Trying again.  Maybe this is what I should have done in the first place.   3 - 2 - 1 ....

Here's a rundown of the changes:

Boston.com article comments

Replies -- Sometimes you post a reply to a comment, only to have your reply show up far removed from the original comment. Now you'll be able to reply directly and have your reply appear immediately below the comment.

Like/Dislike -- Lots of you use the "Recommend" link we attach to every comment, but some of you have asked for a way to express your dissatisfaction with a comment. With the new comments, you'll be able to Like or Dislike a comment or a reply.

Forums

Ignore this user -- This is a popular feature that we have to delay implementing for a couple of weeks. However, we have saved everybody's "enemies list", and when we re-introduce this, we will restore your personal list of the users you have already ignored.

Images -- Some of you like adding photos to your posts; that will be on hiatus for a little while.

Polls -- Conducting a poll is popular in our Sports forums, but we haven't built our own polling tool yet to be able to continue this right away. It's coming.

Search -- We want to give you the ability to search for anything in our forums; it's a bit complicated to implement, so we're delaying this feature for a few months.

Subscribe -- Some of you have subscribed to particular discussions or forums in order to get notified when somebody has added a post. That, too, will be added soon.

Private forums -- You've asked for these, and we're planning to deliver.

Discussion lists -- On the front page of many of our sections, such as Red Sox and Lifestyle, we have widgets that pull in the latest discussions from a particular forum. We're still building those, so in their place you'll see links directly to the relevant forums.

Profile Pages

Public/private -- You can set your Profile Page to be public (viewable by everybody) or private (viewable by only you). Eventually we'll have a third option: Viewable by only your Friends.

Private messages -- This is another feature you have requested that we've built for you. From now on, when somebody leaves a message for you on your Profile Page, it is private - only you can see it, even if you have your Profile Page set to public.

Friends -- Don't worry, we haven't forgotten your friends. They're saved, but won't be displayed on your Profile Page until later.

Personal blogs -- We've also saved your blog posts. Although you won't be able to view them right away, they will return so you can once again blog to your heart's content.

Personal photo galleries -- Very few of you used this feature, so we probably won't add it back.

Profiles -- We can't let you change your avatar right now, but you'll soon be able to.

Forum signatures -- Your current forum signatures will stay, but the ability to change them or add new signatures is on its way.

Misc.

Also on our roadmap are features such as social sharing, badging, user reviews, and more.

Thanks for your patience as we ramp up our new tools. We believe that bringing all of this in-house will allow us to make more of the changes you request - and faster.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please send us a note.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    Search -- We want to give you the ability to search for anything in our forums; it's a bit complicated to implement. 

My kid can do it.  There is reusable java freeware up the yinyang.  Its gravy

I know.  How hard can a search option be for an organization whose core business is PUBLISHING, NEWS, and COMMUNICATION?    The ability to search is CORE.  No?

There aren't any programmers at BDC who can do this, when there are thousands who are unemployed who could?   MIT is down the street.  So is BU.  So is WPI.    Don't get me started.  

BTW, I just tried to find an older thread (according to  the paging, the threads were restored and exist)  but when I went to previous pages, only the FIRST POST of the thread exists.   ALL of our discussions are GONE.

So there is nothing to search for.  Shameful.  I am hoping that this means all of the data WILL be restored at some point.  

This is the first thing about the change over that has really gotten under my skin.   Maybe other forums don't have backthreads that have value.  Well,  I don't like being lumped in with them. 

Sections
Shortcuts