Celebrating Surfer Rosa - July 28th at Lincoln Center Out-of-Doors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Celebrating Surfer Rosa - July 28th at Lincoln Center Out-of-Doors

"Surfer Rosa", the alt-rocker Pixies' seminal debut album,  is now a classic; it's considered not only one of the top albums of the 1980s, but one of the most influential (and best) rock albums of all time.

Surfer Rosa made it's debut in 1988, which means the album's  25th anniversary is NOW.

The album is being celebrated and will be performed by a highly unusual group of musicians who comprise the Asphalt Orchestra.  

The world-premiere of the Asphalt Orchestra's most ambitious project to date, the original, commissioned** arrangements of the pioneering Pixies' "Surfer Rosa", will be performed on July 28th at Lincoln Center Out-of-Doors -- a free concert and event.    If you're going to be in the Big Apple that day, it would be a sin not to check it out.  

**(Asphalt Orchestra Plays The Pixies: Surfer Rosa, was commissioned by Lincoln Center for Lincoln Center Out of Doors.)

A bit about Asphalt Orchestra:

"Asphalt Orchestra is a radical new street band that brings ambitious processional music to the mobile masses. Created by the founders of the “relentlessly inventive” new music presenter Bang on a Can (New York Magazine), Asphalt Orchestra unleashes innovative music from concert halls, rock clubs and jazz basements and takes it to the streets and beyond. The band brings together some of the most exciting rock, jazz and classical players in New York City who The New York Times called “12 top-notch brass and percussion players.”

"Their repertoire ranges from music by pop wizard Björk, to jazz legend Charles Mingus, rock progressive Frank Zappa, Brazilian iconoclast songwriter Tom Zé, Zimbabwean provocateur Thomas Mapfumo, Swedish metal band Meshuggah, and new pieces written for the band by David Byrne and Annie Clark (St. Vincent), Yoko Ono, Tatsuya Yoshida (Ruins), Goran Bregovic, Tyondai Braxton (Battles), and Stew and Heidi Rodewald (Broadway and Spike Lee’s Passing Strange)."   Not your mother's marching band, no, not at all.  

http://www.lcoutofdoors.org/kronos-quartet-the-heavens?show_date=2013-07-28%2018:30:00

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Celebrating Surfer Rosa - July 28th at Lincoln Center Out-of-Doors

I am also a fan of the picture on the album cover.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I am also a fan of the picture on the album cover.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

Well, this goes without saying.  Smile   We're trying to enlighten people here, are we not?

And the "uninitiated" will check out the album cover -- you must all be very curious right about now.  :)   

While you're at it, check out the album, after you're done gawking at the cover.    The entire album is on youtube.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sounds interesting.

And bittersweet knowing that Kim has (finally) left the band.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

One of my top ten favorite albums ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

May have to check this out.

Hey gang - how you doing?  Hope you are all having a good summer so far.

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

I was checking the newspapers for UFO abductions in the New York City area.

Glad to see you are still among us.

These boards are less interesting without your wisdom. However yoga does a pretty good job pinch hitting as my straight man....even though she is a woman....notice the attempt at humor earlier in this thread ( in reference to the @@ on the Surfer Rosa album cover).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Sounds interesting.

And bittersweet knowing that Kim has (finally) left the band.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

It does sound interesting.  I was stalking on the Bang on a Can festival website and ran into the details about this beause the Asphalt Orchestra was 'birthed' at BoaC.   I would still love to go to the Bang/Can marathon some day -- but there isn't much else about the festival that's user-friendly and it is so far away.    

We have so many incredible free events coming up in Boston, yet I see something like Lincoln Center Out of Doors -- and it's hard not to be impressed.    I'll have to check back to see if they put up a video of the performance.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, how are you?!   I was thinking of you in particular when I posted this, since you're the resident New Yorker and could easily drop by to check this out.   Lincoln Center is your turf.

If you go, let us know, okay?    Truly miss you around here.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

I was checking the newspapers for UFO abductions in the New York City area.

Glad to see you are still among us.

These boards are less interesting without your wisdom. However yoga does a pretty good job pinch hitting as my straight man....even though she is a woman....notice the attempt at humor earlier in this thread ( in reference to the @@ on the Surfer Rosa album cover).

[/QUOTE]

Agree, JE is missed and while I can pinch hit (thank you) -- he's inimitable.   As for the music knowledge, he's irreplaceable.  :(  

I had a feeling this thread might lure him back.  Just a hunch.  

If he doesn't know that album cover, he's in for a surprise.   hahahahaha.    :)     

Sections
Shortcuts