Chain Reaction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Chain Reaction

The Jesus and Mary Chain, another amazing band that made its arrival in the mid 1980s, got launched and lasted through the following decade (one of my own personal favorite decades for music).  

I know I'm far from alone in being enamoured of their sound; many of their single hits still grace the radio and may also be among the music on your iPod, "Just Like Honey", "Head On" and "Happy When it Rains",  to name a few.  It's as though I'm just putting them under a lens, turning the lens into a sharp focus, and seeing just how good this band was (and is, as it appears they've reunited, with a slightly altered lineup).

If you have enough depth of experience with their LPs, which one(s) do you think are the strongest?   Any recommendations? 

Thoughts, anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Chain Reaction

The early LPs were once described as sounding like "a chainsaw in a hurricane."

The compilation , 'Barbed Wire Kisses' is really cool, contains early material plus B-sides & rarities. The Reid Brothers remake of 'Surfin' USA' is too cool for words...you have to hear it to belive it could ever be played by this type of band!

'Automatic' is my favorite. My title song appears on this CD, 'Halfway to Crazy.'

Heavily influenced by late 70's Punk rock , you know I'm a big fan. When it comes to music, darker and angrier is a good thing. These guys were real Alternative heroes. They stayed true to what Alternative was all about and never came even close to being mainstream or marketable to the general public.

Top rating from me. I couldn't get enough of them back in the early 90's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Never really got into them. Not sure why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Chain Reaction:
    [QUOTE]The early LPs were once described as sounding like "a chainsaw in a hurricane." The compilation , 'Barbed Wire Kisses' is really cool, contains early material plus B-sides & rarities. The Reid Brothers remake of 'Surfin' USA' is too cool for words...you have to hear it to belive it could ever be played by this type of band! 'Automatic' is my favorite. My title song appears on this CD, 'Halfway to Crazy.' Heavily influenced by late 70's Punk rock , you know I'm a big fan. When it comes to music, darker and angrier is a good thing. These guys were real Alternative heroes. They stayed true to what Alternative was all about and never came even close to being mainstream or marketable to the general public. Top rating from me. I couldn't get enough of them back in the early 90's.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I will check out your title song by JAMC.  Can't wait.   :)  

A group called the Magnetic Fields based the sound and feel of one of their albums on the JAMC -- it's not a cover album, it's all original songs, but they used the JAMC style, which is radically different from their norm.  Very interesting endeavor, IMO, and I love many of the songs on it (you might, too, since you like JAMC as much as you do).  

Thanks for the A+ rating and album rec'dn.  I think I know a couple of songs from that album.   (Just checked their version of "Surfin USA" and you're right, it's real fun -- makes it easy to forget the Beach Boys -- heh).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Psychocandy is an arguable masterpiece...by far one of my favorite 80s discs, a staggering debut (and a likely top-5 candidate from that era).

...all the more remarkable that it was ignored at the time.  It took a cover by the equally ignored Pixies to finally get them some notice.  These two bands alone formed part of the blueprint for 90s alternative.

As I've said before, they fit into my "glorious noise" genre of rock that is as comforting as it is stimulating.  I find great esoteric pleasure in guitar feedback and fuzztones, and I have no desire to understand why.  I just do.

TJAMC are direct heirs of the VU aesthetic and likely forebears of current faves The Black Keys...based partly on the notion that attitude is a fundamental aspect of rock n' roll.

All of their albums are pretty good, but the 80s trilogy of Psychocandy, Darklands and Automatic are essential to understanding their legacy in the 90s

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The extent of the feedback on "Psychocandy" is extreme (I listened to a bunch of tracks), and you'd either take to it like a duck to water, wait to see if you could make it to 'acquired taste', or just bail (and move on to the next album). "Automatic" does seem more accessible from that standpoint, at least from my standpoint.   Still, it is fascinating why the JAMC did not become more popular in their day.  

See "new music" thread -- I had a chance to pick up their one compilation, and grabbed it.   (BTW, the compilation has 4 songs (in a row) from "Psychocandy" on it).    

Unfortunately, it does not have, "Halfway to Crazy" on it.   It does, however, have "Cracking Up" on it.    :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Chain Reaction:
    [QUOTE]The extent of the feedback on "Psychocandy" is extreme (I listened to a bunch of tracks), and you'd either take to it like a duck to water, wait to see if you could make it to 'acquired taste', or just bail (and move on to the next album). "Automatic" does seem more accessible from that standpoint, at least from my standpoint.   Still, it is fascinating why the JAMC did not become more popular in their day.   See "new music" thread -- I had a chance to pick up their one compilation, and grabbed it.   (BTW, the compilation has 4 songs (in a row) from "Psychocandy" on it).     Unfortunately, it does not have, "Halfway to Crazy" on it.   It does, however, have "Cracking Up" on it.    :D
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

That 21 Singles compilation is a good one...an excellent introduction to the band.  I bought it for two of my nieces who both loved it (and think their uncle is pretty cool like that).

The B-Sides collections are also pretty great.  A very underrated band, IMO, especially considering the often short shrift given to the more experimental side of rock.

8. This post has been removed.