Cheap Trick - This should upset a certain lizard.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Cheap Trick - This should upset a certain lizard.

As some of you may know by now, Zilla likes to bust my chops because of my opinions of Cheap Trick. I personally think they are one of the great American RnR bands of all-time and Zilla has them right there with paper-cuts.

This band helped bridge the early 70's Hard Rock sound with guitar driven pop sensibilities. They were heavily influenced by The Beatles and Elvis (Who wasn't) and even managed to win over many fans of New Wave. Many say that they were the forerunners of the 80's Pop Metal scene. Many musicians from that era cite Cheap Trick as a major influence. Although overplayed back in the day, their Live Album is still considered one of the decades better ones. Now into their 4th decade, they are still recording new material and touring.

Half the band looked like your typical pretty boy rockstars, their drummer has a Fred Mertz quality about him and somehow, they recruited one of the Bowery Boys to play lead guitar (and boy can he play). Robin Zander has a great voice and is credited with backing vocals for many other bands including GnR and Motley Crue. This band understood composition, melody and the importance of the song itself.

If I believed in the RnR Hall of Fame, I would say that they were deserving of the honor. But I don't believe in it, so who cares.

I am really interested in what you all think. I know what the nuclear reptile thinks Tongue out

FYI - They did write and record what may believe to be one of the greatest songs of any time (I Want You To Want Me). And I guarantee that more than 75% of guys born between 1957 - 1967 who ever made a mixed tape for some young lady he was locked in on made sure this song was on it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

Re: Cheap Trick - This should upset a certain lizard.

In Response to Cheap Trick - This should upset a certain lizard.:
    As some of you may know by now, Zilla likes to bust my chops because of my opinions of Cheap Trick. I personally think they are one of the great American RnR bands of all-time and Zilla has them right there with paper-cuts.
    Posted by jesseyeric

the great thing about music is that no one can be wrong it's all up to the individuals taste....... that said i'll side with Zilla on this band!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Cheap Triack? Eh.

Didn't they have like 3 songs?Dream Police, Surrender, and I want you to want me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I only know the hits, which isn't the best way to judge an artist.  The 3 that DirtyWater just mentioned never did anything for me.  I always liked 'The Flame' though. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Cheap Trick - This should upset a certain lizard.:
    Cheap Triack? Eh. Didn't they have like 3 songs?Dream Police, Surrender, and I want you to want me.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

They had about 203 - their first two albums were amazing.

I do find it interesting that most people only know the handful of radio songs, but nothing else. It is just one man's opinion, but if given the chance, I would suggest that you give them another listen, especially the early stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Cheap Trick rocks big time. It is understandable why a lot of people aren't too thrilled with this band, as some of their songs that got played a lot, weren't their best songs .... Dream Police, Don't Be Cruel, Surrender, and somewhat I Want You To Want Me (although a great song).

If You Want My Love, Voices , and I'm Losing You (with John Lennon), on the other hand, sound like some of the very good Beatles songs.

The FlameWay Of The World, Oh Candy, Ain't That A Shame and I'm On Top Of The World are super songs as well.

Half of this band did have that pretty boy rock star look. The other half .... well let's just say that the drummer looked like a manager at a hamburger drive through, and the lead guitarist looked like he worked for the post office or something .... with that cap and outfit (before his mustache/goatie look).

In short, Jessey is right, Zilla is wrong. This band is as 'under the radar a band' as there ever was. This band also believes in not being too serious, as noted by their videos .... quite refreshing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Finally, someone on my side.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

All I know is that Mike Damone had so much trouble unloading Cheap Trick tickets, he was "this close" to working at 7-11.

Not cool.

But I will second (or third) the notion that what you heard on the radio was not the best Cheap Trick had to offer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Cheap Trick is a very good band.  Although they aren't in my upper echelon, I have purchased a few of their albums over the years.  I really liked the 'Busted' album and in fact I thought that was the album that was going to make me into a big fan of theirs.  But the followup 'Woke Up With a Monster' was a big disappointment to me. 

I respect bands who dare to be different and I think Cheap Trick has done that.  I think they are skilled songwriters and they have a lot of good hooks and melodies up their sleeve. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm a very recent convert, and I'm still learning about them. I've always loved "Surrender."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Looks like most people are in my court.

The Court of the "not-so" Crimson King.

The fact is, I have been over exaggerating my dislike for this band , just because it's fun to do and it kills a little time at lunchbreak.

I do a similar routine on the "Front burner" section of the Sox forums (in case you haven't figured it out). I over exaggerate a few points that are trivial and stir up a little argument with guys like Ivandrago , who thinks I am a "closet Yankee fan", among other unflattering names I have been called on these boards. I really am a big fan of Red Sox and music , but I also like a good argument and a good laugh and ruffling some feathers now and again.

jesseyeric, you are truly a "man among men"...meaning you can take a joke and you know that I am not here not make enemies but to have a little fun while I eat my sandwich and cookies.

I mean it when I say that Cheap Trick are one of my least favorite Rock bands. But they are a "Rock band" and in this life filled with silly pop songs, irratating rap and distasteful disco ( not to mention whiny country songs and dreadful stuff like opera), at least they are a credible force in music because they play the greatest style of music ever invented ( in my opinion of course) ---Rock.

Upset??? Hell no, I have been expecting this one for some time now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I guess the cat's out of the bag now.

I'll have to come up with a new angle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Cheap Trick - This should upset a certain lizard.:
    Looks like most people are in my court. The Court of the "not-so" Crimson King. The fact is, I have been over exaggerating my dislike for this band , just because it's fun to do and it kills a little time at lunchbreak. I do a similar routine on the "Front burner" section of the Sox forums 9in case you haven't figured it out). I over exaggerate a few points that are trivial and stir up a little argument with guys like Ivandrago , who thinks I am a "closet Yankee fan", among other unflattering names I have been called on these boards. I really am a big fan of Red Sox and music , but I also like a good argument and a good laugh and ruffling some feathers now and again. jesseyeric, you are truly a "man among men"...meaning you can take a joke and you know that I am not here not make enemies but to have a little fun while I eat my sandwich and cookies. I mean it when I say that Cheap Trick are one of my least favorite Rock bands. But they are a "Rock band" and in this life filled with silly pop songs, iterating rap and distasteful disco ( not to mention whiny country songs and dreadful stuff like opera), at least they are a credible force in music because they play the greatest style of music ever invented ( in my opinion of course) ---Rock. Upset??? Hell no, I have been expecting this one for some time now.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

My only concern with upsetting you is that I know you have a habit of eating small villages at times and I wouldn't want you to get a bad case of agita,

Sections
Shortcuts