Chrissie Hynde: "It gives me a cold chill to see my name out there on its own"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Chrissie Hynde: "It gives me a cold chill to see my name out there on its own"

Chrissie Hynde's new album, Stockholm" is her solo debut, and the first album in her 35-year career without the Pretenders name on the cover.  

The solo album isn't what she originally had in mind, but it's how it evolved.  Hynde is quick to point out that the album is collaborative.   There's a Neil Young song on the album, a song that went from "sounding" like a Neil Young song, to the song Neil Young was invited (and accepted) to sing.   It's supposed to be one of the best tracks. 

Hynde kicks some a&$ in an interview article (NOTE: You will love what she has to say ... check it out):

"Hynde, 62, has had some wild times. She lost two founding members of the Pretenders to drug-related deaths in the 1980s. Now she's fit, vegetarian and an outspoken animal-rights activist. But she still yearns for the days when rock 'n' roll was dangerous."It is a dying breed," Hynde said. "The whole idea of it was you were living outside the law, it was anti-establishment."

"(Now) you're swept up in this congratulatory Grammy culture. ... When I see someone holding their little statue crying, I don't know where to look, I'm so embarrassed."

And yet the Pretenders were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005. Hynde says she accepted mostly because her parents would have been "crushed" if she'd said no.

"But the truth is, it's made rock 'n' roll an establishment. It's turned it into an institution. So if I was 16 now, I don't know what I'd be doing, but probably not trying to get in a rock 'n' roll band."

Hynde is impatient with questions about her role as a female rock pioneer. She says being a woman never held her back in the macho music world.

She has always demanded equal treatment, and got it. She told her record company that she'd happily promote her new album in the media — with one exception.

"I'm not going to talk to fashion magazines. I said, 'If they won't have Lemmy" — Motorhead's gnarly frontman — "don't ask me.'"

Album release was Tuesday, June 10th.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/chrissie-hynde-pretender-stockholm-24088994

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Chrissie Hynde:

Also, Hynde makes it clear that she doesn't want to belt out old songs while on her solo tour.  The old hits are fine, but she is more interested in presenting new material, and feels that she'd rather play music that is more "now" and current.   It's more fun, too.

"If you're not making records that people want to buy any more, or that even speak for themselves, then play the hits. I'd rather do something that feels right, right now.

Hynde performs as part of James Lavelle's Meltdown at London's Royal Festival Hall on June 14 and then performs at Latitude Festival in Suffolk on June 19. Perhaps we shouldn’t say solo shows, though, because Hynde doesn’t appreciate the term. Insistent that her new record is a collaborative effort, Chrissie was quick to disassociate herself from the limelight. 

"I never wanted to be solo, and I said a thousand times I never would, so it gives me a cold chill to see my name out there on its own... I like being in the background, I'm not the show-off that you think I'm going to be," she said, adding that playing the old hits would suggest the last three-and-a-half decades were filled with nothing. 

"Playing old hits isn't that much fun, unless you haven't done anything for the last 35 years. For me, I've done a lot in the last 35 years, and having fun is everything."  

http://www.contactmusic.com/article/the-pretenders-chrissie-hynde-solo-album_4233120

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Chrissie Hynde:

Hi Yoga!  I've always loved her.  Not just for her music (and Pretenders was mostly her) but because of:

"Hynde is impatient with questions about her role as a female rock pioneer. She says being a woman never held her back in the macho music world.

She has always demanded equal treatment, and got it. She told her record company that she'd happily promote her new album in the media — with one exception."

Exactly!  Your gender, your skin colour, your sky god or lack thereof, your sexual preference, your politics, etc...we are all first and foremost people.  She was the epitome of that to me...a great songwriter and singer that happened to be a woman.  And would not accept anything more or less.

I do think "Playing old hits isn't that much fun, unless you haven't done anything for the last 35 years. For me, I've done a lot in the last 35 years, and having fun is everything." is a bit selfish, though.  I know it's boring for musicians to play "the hits" forever but a)  most of us want to hear at least SOME of the old hits, and b)  I think the mark of a great performer is playing a song for the nth time or in front of a tiny audience (for whatever reason) and still giving it your all.or at least appearing to.